The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jackcaptureOffline
Post subject: FAQ: Record cataloging and grading / software  PostPosted: Oct 28, 2002 - 01:01 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

I'm curious as to what other collectors do to keep their collection organized. Mine's alphabetized by artist and soundtrack title and various artist albums are alphabetized by record label. Also, I put obscure artists on budget labels in the various artists section by record label.(ex. an album on the Pickwick label titled, say, "Music of Hawaii" and in tiny letters somewhere it says "Joe Blow and his Orchestra")
I have all records catalogued the same way in several notebooks (just ordered cataloging software--we'll see how that goes) and list grade and pricing from several guides.
Does everyone use Goldmine's standard of grading? Jerry Osborne's is not very specific. I tried Osborne's number system for a while but that is really the same as his other method with different symbols. (NM=9, VG+=8, VG=7) How many pluses is too many? Some dealers will list VG+++. How far away is that from NM? I'd like to hear some opinions on all this.

Reply with quote Back to top
prancinghorseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 29, 2002 - 02:39 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Jack,

my record collection organization looks like this:

The albums are alphabetized by artist and album name - with two exceptions: I store all Rolling Stones albums (regular pressings and bootlegs) in a different area (just because of the sheer number ca. 800) and all other bootlegs are also stored in a different area. Various artist albums are stored under "V" and are sorted by album title and label.

The Rolling Stones regular pressings are sorted by album title, country of origin and pressing (1., 2. etc.). The Bootlegs are stored by album title, order / matrix number and pressing again.

Bootlegs of other artists again are sorted by artist, album name, order / matrix no. and pressing.

I don't use any cataloging software except Excel - I have one Excel file with several sheets in it to organize my collection (65536 possible entries should be sufficient for the next years Laughing). I did some macro programming to reduce redundancies and it works fine..

Regarding grading you are touching a very sensitve point - we had several discusion on this topic allready (if I recall it right) and I do not want to start it all over.. Just one thing: Jerry Osborne's grading system is not very common in Europe and we are not using more than one + respectivly - here in Europe..

jackcaptureOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 29, 2002 - 08:40 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Oh wow! You're more organized than I am. But then, with 800(!) Stones records you'd have to be! I'm going to look for the old posts concerning grading. I knew it couldn't just be me who had issues with the lack of grading standards. Just got my cataloging software yesterday and worked with it a little last night...hmmm...more later.

The Dust JunkyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 29, 2002 - 08:48 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

My collection is split into three catagories. Each one is alphabatised and wihtiin a same band the albums are also alphabatised. My first section are my main collections...Metallica, Fun lovin Crimnals and Pearl Jam. The second are my one of records which I bought not because I collect the band but I like the album like U2 Joshua Tree, The clockwork orange soundtrack etc. And the third is my picture disc collection.

But to be honest I think It could be better...but its finding the time to sort through them all! I have tried but ended up listening and looking in detail through them all and before I know it a day has gone along with the will to do it!

jackcaptureOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 31, 2002 - 08:38 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Thanks for the input...I read the old posts on grading and it is a sensitive topic. But it's so important--I guess maybe there are too many variables to be objective. If both the buyer and the seller are happy then OK. But for me, since I don't often buy from dealers and don't sell, I just want to be accurate for the sake of accuracy. I have seen a very detailed grading guide on one dealers website (I'll have to find it again) but it included multiple plusses. Maybe we could count the number of scratches on each record... Shocked

prancinghorseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 01, 2002 - 09:49 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Jack,

believe it or not - once I had a guy bidding on one of my records on ebay and he really asked me to count the minor scratches and scuffs on the record... Rolling Eyes When this is the future of grading I will stick to goldmine standards and that'll do for me...

jackcaptureOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 01, 2002 - 02:49 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

HA...what a pain that must have been! I've just spent some time searching on Google "record grading" and actually found a lot of great info. The funniest one, yet a good example of too many plusses and minuses is here: http://www.greatgig.com/records/grading.htm
Here is one I really liked: http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/messages/70911.html

prancinghorseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 01, 2002 - 05:15 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Jack,

followed up on the two links you provided - the second one is a pretty good description (and I like the way this guy thinks). Maybe the author of the first one was the dealer the guy who made the second post was thinking of the one to get away with murder Laughing

Music Lover
Post subject: Looking for advice...  PostPosted: Jan 10, 2003 - 02:38 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Hi everyone,
I came across this site a couple months ago while trying to find a database to catalogue my 45’s. Since discovering this site I have spent far too much time on the computer. I have spent many hours (actually many late, late hours… thanks to all the links that ks45 gives) reading everything here. It is an excellent site and I would like to say thank you to all the regulars who are kind enough, and take the time to answer all the questions that come through this board.
I know you guys are always being asked about databases so before asking for advice I have been trying to research all the software programs that are listed on the home page. My problem is that I don’t know very much about computers and I know absolutely nothing about databases (but I am learning) so I am getting totally boggled by all the information. I really liked the music tracker, but you can’t customize that database. It also would not print the info the way I wanted it, nor could you transfer their data into your own database. I think I need a database that I can customize because I keep track of my records through their release year and hit #. The only method I have ever had to keep track of my records has been through the use of Joel Whitburn’s books. The biggest problem with this method is that I can only track the record if it hit the Billboard top 100 in pop or country. So this is why I would really like to get my collection in a database. I know that I can download samples of some of these databases…the CATraxx looks interesting because it says you can customize the info you want …but I’m lost because I don’t know how to manipulate these databases, so I am spending a lot of time playing around with them trying to learn. This is really time consuming and I am really anxious to buy something and get started so I am hoping someone here can give me some advice. I’m interested in knowing what data programs other people are using and what you like and dislike about the programs. I am hoping to gain something from your experience because my biggest fear is that I will get a program, start cataloguing and get a big chunk entered only to find out that it isn’t the right program. I have a huge collection so it is going to be time consuming enough entering the data… I can’t imagine doing it more than once…actually I will be lucky to get it done once. Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Gail

Former Member
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 10, 2003 - 02:45 PM

I use Microsoft Excel and customize a data base. I could email a copy of
each catagory ie lp's, 45's and cds to show you what info I have found
useful to document. I have about 8000 lps, 600 45s, and 600 cds.

Jump to: