The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ZootAlluresOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 21, 2008 - 10:26 PM
Level 5
Level 5

CactusCowboy wrote:
ZootAllures wrote:
digvinyl wrote:
I only collect LP's, but I do the following:

Artist
Title
Label
Catalog #
Year
Comments (include mono or stereo, rare versions, posters and other inserts)
NM book value
Country of origin if not US

I wish I had kept track of condition. I first put my collection in Excel when it was probably around 1,000. I'm creeping up on 5,000 now and I can't imagine finding time to go through every one of them to grade.

I do the same except for the book value. I have 1800+ and I couldn't imagine trying to grade them either Rolling Eyes Maybe when I retire Smile

It's not that tough. Play grade every time you spin a record. If you listen to 10 LPs a day, you're done in six months.

One of the problems is that not everything I listen to gets my full attention all of the time. I spin records while doing a varity of activities around the house. Not condusive to proper grading I'm sure. The other problem is my laziness. Embarassed Laughing

Reply with quote Back to top
Global_Dog_ProductionsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 21, 2008 - 11:02 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

So here is another example right up ZootAllures alley why you need two artist fields, otherwise there wouldn't be a cross-reference to Zappa...

M-G-M K13632 - Burt Ward - "Boy Wonder I Love You" b/w "Oranged Colored Sky" - 1966

From the eBay auction I won this single...

"Holy bizarro! It’s BURT WARD (“Robin” on the original Batman TV series) SINGIN’ WEIRD,
WILD LITTLE DITTIES, arranged and conducted by FRANK ZAPPA! Almost too bizarre to describe.
“Oranged Colored Sky” is a Milton DeLugg lounge tune; Burt “sings” (if you can call it that), like he’s gargled with broken glass and is overdosing on acid, with waste-oid background music supplied by Frank to suit the mood. Lyrics like “drinking in sunshine” and “I don’t know what kind of trip I was on” add to the mood. “Boy Wonder, I Love You” is a Zappa original; Burt reads one of the “tons” of fan letters he gets, backed by pure-Zappa spaced-out rock, punctuated by fawning, shrieking and giggling girls. Here’s a sample:

…Oh, Boy Wonder, I'm making a gum wrapper chain to symbolize my love for you. It's going to be as long as I am tall, and I'm 5 foot 10 inches in stocking feet. Please, Boy Wonder, PLEASE, come next Saturday and sleep for a week or two. I will feed you breakfast in bed, I will make your bed for you, and I like you so much that I want you to spend the whole summer with me. (I hope you know this is a GIRL writing)…"

ZootAlluresOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 22, 2008 - 08:27 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Global_Dog_Productions wrote:
So here is another example right up ZootAllures alley why you need two artist fields, otherwise there wouldn't be a cross-reference to Zappa...

M-G-M K13632 - Burt Ward - "Boy Wonder I Love You" b/w "Oranged Colored Sky" - 1966

From the eBay auction I won this single...

"Holy bizarro! It’s BURT WARD (“Robin” on the original Batman TV series) SINGIN’ WEIRD,
WILD LITTLE DITTIES, arranged and conducted by FRANK ZAPPA! Almost too bizarre to describe.
“Oranged Colored Sky” is a Milton DeLugg lounge tune; Burt “sings” (if you can call it that), like he’s gargled with broken glass and is overdosing on acid, with waste-oid background music supplied by Frank to suit the mood. Lyrics like “drinking in sunshine” and “I don’t know what kind of trip I was on” add to the mood. “Boy Wonder, I Love You” is a Zappa original; Burt reads one of the “tons” of fan letters he gets, backed by pure-Zappa spaced-out rock, punctuated by fawning, shrieking and giggling girls. Here’s a sample:

…Oh, Boy Wonder, I'm making a gum wrapper chain to symbolize my love for you. It's going to be as long as I am tall, and I'm 5 foot 10 inches in stocking feet. Please, Boy Wonder, PLEASE, come next Saturday and sleep for a week or two. I will feed you breakfast in bed, I will make your bed for you, and I like you so much that I want you to spend the whole summer with me. (I hope you know this is a GIRL writing)…"

I can definately see the value with the additional artist column. Will have to give it some thought. Would you not need to have mutiply artist columns for examples such as "Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper, Steve Stills - Super Session" or "Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe - ABWH" to create an appropriate cross reference?

Cool Cool ebay grab with the Burt Ward/Zappa single. I was not aware of its exisitence. It's always amusing to see where Zappa's name pops up from time to time.

Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 22, 2008 - 09:49 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

ZootAllures wrote:

I can definately see the value with the additional artist column. Will have to give it some thought. Would you not need to have mutiply artist columns for examples such as "Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper, Steve Stills - Super Session" or "Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe - ABWH" to create an appropriate cross reference?

No. What I do instead is create multiple entries for example using the above "Super Session" example I would have 3 entries or "rows" one with Bloomfield, Michael, etc. Likewise this allows you to have Michael Bloomfield always sort together whether he is listed as Mike or Michael as long as you are consistant in the "sorting field".

On another thread tonight on "Backwards" I added this...

Gordy 7076 - Eivets Rednow (Stevie Wonder) -"Alfie" b/w "More Than A Dream" - Aug-1968

Tower 312 - The Sllednats (The Standells) - "Don't Tell Me What To Do" b/w "When I Was A Cowboy" - 1967

by having a "sorting field" Eivtes Rednow always sorts to Stevie Wonder. Originally David Bowie was David Jones but with the success of The Monkees and their Davy Jones he changed his stage name to Bowie. If you should be so lucky to own the single by Davy Jones and the Lower Third (the UK "Rare Record Guide" considers it a £140.00 45rpm) the field becomes again helpful. The Four Seasons also released as The Four Lovers, they become miles apart without this field. Likewise many folks drop the word "The" so all the groups that start with "The" don't fall out of alphabetic order. With a "sorting field" groups like "The Who" end up in the "W's" as they are listed as "Who, The". With a database of over 276,000 entries believe me this is the only way to go.

aravelOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 07, 2009 - 06:56 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

::: Hi Guys

You can't go wrong with Excel...if you have the time even can make pretty good looking layouts like these:

this is my cd-singles from you-know-who excel listing. Rolling Eyes

For printing it's a letter size sheet, very legible.

REGARDS
ARAVEL

gypsyeyes wrote:

Now.......I know that aravel said that is an older photo of himself.
But let me tell ya, to me he looks pretty hot.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
mrjazzmanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 24, 2009 - 01:36 PM
Level 1
Level 1

I use CD Trustee by Sane Soft at www.base40.com. I own 2300 cd's and a few lp's and this program works like a charm, very basic and simple. If you need lots of bells and whistles, this is not the program for you

steelybyrneOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 10, 2009 - 08:53 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hey all,
I have not had the time to read this entire thread but it seems that Excel is one of the better apps. I have Excel 2003 but my experience level with it in next to zero. I'd like to try making something like "aravel" has but I barely know where to start - is there a step-by-step tutorial or is it all trial and error?

- - Kurt Cobain

aravelOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 27, 2009 - 08:40 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

:::Hi steelybyrne

PM and I will send you a copy of this EXCEL field, then you just replace the U2 stuff, names, labels and etc to put your Zappa's Collection
Cool

gypsyeyes wrote:

Now.......I know that aravel said that is an older photo of himself.
But let me tell ya, to me he looks pretty hot.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
SteadydietOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 21, 2009 - 05:31 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Don't know if it's mentioned but I use Rateyourmusic.com, simply because it allows quick access to sleeve graphics and user ratings.

Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 21, 2009 - 10:33 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Steadydiet wrote:
Don't know if it's mentioned but I use Rateyourmusic.com, simply because it allows quick access to sleeve graphics and user ratings.

Rate Your Music is a lousy boilerplate that accepts "garbage in" which is why all you'll get is "garbage out". Try searching on Festival or Jugoton and you'll just see the tip of the iceberg. EMI combined all it's records in 1969 into a unified numbering system for most of the world excluding the UK but Rate Your Music is unable to pull them together. They are scattered amongst all the labels and what appears to be just random numbers.

The list could go on forever such as the Fontana (US) 1700-1800 series was part of the Smash numbering system. The Fontana 1500-1600 series actually followed the 1700-1800 series and is Fontana alone. Other labels that shared numbering systems, this is hardly a definitive list...

Aardell/R-Dell Records
Argo/Cadet
Arvee/Orbit/HiFi Records
Asylum/Elektra Records
Atlas-Angletone Records
Beserkley Records - US - see Asylum/Elektra Records
Burdette Records - see Tower Records nos. 475, 488, 489, 517
Carla/Karen Records - 700 series
Centaur/Senta(u)r Records - The New Colony Six's label
Drum/Elgin Records - small Wallingford and Hamden, CT label
Falcon/Abner Records
Fee Bee/Star Records
Go Go/Gregar Records
Hideout/Punch Records
Hugo and Luigi Records - see AVCO Embassy Records
Intl. Fable Records - OZ - see Fable/Bootleg Records
Mah's/Exit Records (Mike Alonzo Hanks)
Melodyland/Hitsville Records
Mikesell Records see Christy Records
Mr. Peacock/Mr. Peeke Records
Operators/Twin Hit Records - small NYC label
Pacific Jazz/World Pacific Records
Piranha Brothers Records - OZ - see RCA Records
Rainbird Records - OZ - see Fable/Bootleg Records
Sabrina/Sabina Records
Satellite/Stax Records
Selbon/Select Records
S.I.G.N. Records - see Jowar Records
Slipped Disc Records - see Asylum/Elektra Records
Suicide Records - OZ - see RCA Records
Tower Records
Trans Atlas Records - see Warwick/Trans Atlas Records
Ultra Records - see Dig/Ultra Records
Vik Records - see "X"/Vik Records - subsidiary of RCA Records
Wooden Nickel Records - OZ - see RCA Records
Young Blood Records - OZ - see RCA Records

garbage in, garbage out. That's all you'll get from Rate Your Music or Discogs.

Jump to: