The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
metrognome
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 03, 2005 - 03:34 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Starcastle are definitely considered Yes clones. I didn;t think too much of what little Starcastel I heard a few years ago. Starbuck I have never heard of. Here are some interesting/funny album reviews for Angel by my friend Andy Thompson at the Ultimate Mellotron Recordings website:
http://freespace.virgin.net/andy.thompson/reviewsa.htm#angel

Reply with quote Back to top
fromphilly1247Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 03, 2005 - 04:28 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

A website for mellotron enthusiasts. Never thought I'd see the day.

Uncle Hippie
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 03, 2005 - 09:34 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Thanks guys. The Angel album I bought is called 'Helluva Band.' I haven't listened to it yet, but after reading that review, I'm definitely not going to expect too much. Very Happy

metrognome
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 03, 2005 - 09:38 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Quote:
A website for mellotron enthusiasts. Never thought I'd see the day.

Sick isn't it? It's a great site if you're a Tron freak. Every time I think I've found an album with Mellotron on it that Andy didn't list, I check the site. I haven't found one yet he didn't know about already.

annaloogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 04, 2005 - 12:15 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Uncle Hippie wrote:
Has anyone heard the bands Starbuck or Starcastle?

This Starbuck, of which I know next to nothing, is apparently a different band from the one that had a hit in 1975-'76 with "Moonlight Feels Right", with its memorable marimba solo.

This single, released in 1970, was produced by Don Gallucci, who formerly led Don & The Goodtimes.

DJRicky45Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 04, 2005 - 02:17 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

UH
I think Billboard's charts were based more on sales. Most radio stations used other industry magazines to chart play lists, Broadcasting is on that comes to mind. Yeah, don't get to excited about that Angel album, hard rock but nothing to get brag about.

Metro
I remember reading a review of Starcastle and another band that said the same thing. They sounded like Yes and Queen but the problem was they sounded to much like those bands so they never really sold. Wish I could remember the name of that other band.

Music Lover
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 04, 2005 - 03:10 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Hippie, it is interesting that you just asked about Angel because I just recently was trying to find out something about that same group, but I was looking under the name Angel City. I recently was listening to an album called “Face to Face” by a group called Angel City. They kind of reminded me a bit of AC/DC. I asked Gary if he had heard of them because there was no info on them at AMG. He hadn't heard of them so I went looking for some info and it turns out that they were an Australian band that called them selves Angel, but went under the name Angel City outside of Australia. Also turns out that AC/DC discovered them. Here is the link.
http://www.lastbandit.com/angels.html

Gail

Something about that expression just cracks me up… I can’t even say it without laughing.

Uncle Hippie
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 04, 2005 - 08:27 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Thanks guys (and Gails)!! Man, I didn't realize there were two groups called Starbuck and Angel. I love reading the history of these bands. The Starbuck album I found is their 3rd one called 'Searching For A Thrill,' which came out in '78. Apparently this group was an off-shoot of the '60s group Eternity's Children. As Annaloog stated, they had a #2 hit with the song "Moonlight Feels Right."

The Angel album I have is by an American group. From what I read at 'Fuzz Acid...' their guitarist Punky Meadows was in a couple garage bands during the '60s. One was called The English Setters (My dog Syd was an English Setter Very Happy ) and The Cherry People who released one album which was played by session men. From what I read, The Cherry People's album sounded nothing like the band when they played live.

fromphilly1247Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 04, 2005 - 09:40 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Uncle Hippie wrote:
As Annaloog stated, they had a #2 hit with the song "Moonlight Feels Right."

God, I hated that song! No wonder I didn't remember. Mad

DJRicky45Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 04, 2005 - 11:25 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Quote:

Australian band that called them selves Angel, but went under the name Angel City outside of Australia.

Gail
I looked at that link to the webpage and it doesn't look like the same group as the 'Angel' we're talking about.

Jump to: