The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
thirstyOffline
Post subject: the basics  PostPosted: Nov 05, 2002 - 11:56 PM
Level 1
Level 1

hi everyone Wink

so i'm looking just for the rockbottom info:

what's the difference between a 45, a 78, an album, and an LP?
rpm stands for revolutions per minute, right?

sorry to bother you with such base questions-- it's just hard to find all this stuff online, believe it or not Embarassed

thanks in advance!

.scratchy

Reply with quote Back to top
ks45
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 06, 2002 - 01:07 AM
Former Member

Oh Dear ..One suddenly feels VERY old!!!!

prancinghorseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 06, 2002 - 03:50 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

thirsty,

just to give you some of the rockbottom information you are asking for:

rpm means rounds per minute and is indicating the number of times the turntable turns (horrible word construction) per minute - the speeds generally used are 33, 45 and 78..

a 45 (aka single) usually has a diameter of 7 inches and contains one song on each side. There are different versions of sindle holes for 45s, the small one which directly fits to the spindle of the record player, a bigger one (I estimate it 1.5 inches) where you need a "puck" to play it on your turntable and the ones where you have also the big hole but there is some kind of "cross" placed in the record so you don't need the puck. There is a second version of a 45 which has a diameter of 12 inches but again only contains one song on each side (this one is called maxi or maxisingle).

Regarding 78s vinylrooster made a pos some time ago where he describes this one in detail - to be honest I don't know very much about these records (I do not own a single 7Cool. Just check out the roost mans post to find out more about 78s

a LP (aka album) usually has a diameter of 12 inches with a small spindle hole (there are also records available which have 10 inches, the so called mini-LP).

In addition you forgot one common format which is the EP (extended play). This is a 7 inch record with 4 to 8 songs which play at 33 rpm. Most EPs have two songs on each side.

P.S. Keith, I feel the same... To be honest the first thing which came to my mind is that somebody is trying to fool us - but as it is a registered user we should answer the question anyway..

ks45
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 06, 2002 - 05:15 AM
Former Member

I've got rid of my wax cylinders

whirlingdiscOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 06, 2002 - 06:31 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Great info, Peter! Well summarized!
Ralf

ks45
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 06, 2002 - 08:30 AM
Former Member

12" record can hold up to 18 minutes of music per side at 33 1/3 rpm, and up to 12 minutes per side at 45 rpm. A 7" record at 33 1/3 rpm can hold up to 6 minutes per side. However, if your music is fairly bass-heavy, you may want to shoot for a maximum of 4:30 per side in order to insure optimal sound quality. At 45 rpm, a 7" record can hold up to 4:30 per side, or 3:30 per side for heavy bass.

whirlingdiscOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 06, 2002 - 10:53 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Interesting info, Keith. Hey Jude and American Pie are a couple of examples of squeezing more than 4:30 onto a 7" 45. There are probably others.
Ralf

jackcaptureOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 06, 2002 - 12:53 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Just to add my 2 cents worth (and I may be duplicating Rooster's info): Originally, 4 78s were put together in an "album", a bound set of sleeves, 1 song per side for a total of 8 songs (sometimes more or less). When the LP (long play) came into being, first as a 10 inch record in the late 40s, usually with 8 songs, then as a 12", ca. 1950? the name "album" stuck. 78s continued til ca. 1960 as singles, the latest album of 78s I've seen is probably 1950. I can't help it, I still refer to the latest CD release by someone as an "album". Also, my player has a setting for 16rpm, but I've never seen a 16rpm record. Anybody seen one of these?

ks45
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 06, 2002 - 01:38 PM
Former Member

Found this on the internet....
QUESTIONS
1.As I've mentioned elsewhere, I have two 16-2/3 RPM records intended for the 1956 Imperial Columbia record-player - The Pajama Game and Davy Crockett. I have never heard them, so here's my request:

Who has a hardware setup that will allow these records to be played and taped onto audiocassette?

2.I have two records which I am going to tape. I have an early 70's Garrard turntable (automatic) which will play the 16rpm records and is still is excellent condition with the Shibata elliptical stylus (needle). I will try to get this done before I send the records to a member who wants them.
ANSWER..
All the records which were available then were strictly monophonic, not stereo. It would be interesting to see if anyone still has record cutting equipment that could reproduce some modern copies to play on the Highway Hi-Fi units. I have a friend in West, TX who restores Juke boxes. I need to contact him and see if he knows someone who could make the 16rpm records.
Another interesting site is
http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Accessories/HiWay/Discussion.html

jackcaptureOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 06, 2002 - 10:08 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Wow, thanks! Checked out the link...how cool! I love that era of cars anyway. I knew there had been an option on some cars in the 50s for a 45 player but not for 16s. Actually, I think it's my Garrard turntable that has the 16 speed. Say, ks, (Keith, is it?) how come your still a guest and not a member? You afraid of commitment? Wink

Jump to: