The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
LPMAN
Post subject: Welcome!  PostPosted: Nov 03, 2004 - 03:41 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I would like to thank Cutter for opening this forum. Hope we have some DJ's on this forum! Very Happy Shocked

Reply with quote Back to top
King Fahtah
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 04, 2004 - 12:46 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Thank u to Cutter for taking up my suggestion (although I think discussed before). Hopefully it will also attract more members to the forum down the line Cool

dollydaggerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 04, 2004 - 06:52 AM
Level 5
Level 5

i'm no dj... but i love hip/hop and rap!! this is cool!! thanks!

londoner
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 29, 2004 - 11:03 AM
Level 3
Level 3

Hello there - I am a DJ - used to play out a bit, deep filtered jazzy instrumental house and electroclash, still play but not out much seeing as everybody wants to hear female vocals saying "reach for your dreams", "We can make it if we try", and "Yeah baby" nowadays Laughing Rolling Eyes my my how lyrics have progressed in the last forty years Mad - nothing like a few Bacardi Breezers to dumb things down a bit eh? Sorry just my little "dig" at the curent house scene there......

I'm selling some of my early-mid 90's house/garage on ebay at the moment and it's going quite well, I find it's a good type of music to sell.
Also I have sold a few records which I described as "EX-" and the buyer described as "Mint" - so it strikes me that perhaps they are less fussy/less knowledgable than vintage R&R collectors etc. - as a DJ all you really care about is whether the tune plays ok. Either that or I'm underrating my records a bit.... hmmm......

Anyway I'll try and be of some help on this forum if there are any questions that I might know the answer to do with this type of music.

King Fahtah
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 29, 2004 - 06:52 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Good to have you on board Londoner. I think you're right about condition. Perhaps there are more djs interested in the genres you mention than serious collectors. Although I have seen an increased interest from 20 somethings in late 80s to early 90s techno, technopop and commercial house as well as old school hip hop. Perhaps indulging in their own bit of nostalgia or from what I'm hearing finding interesting stuff to mix and sample on their pcs.

londoner
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 30, 2004 - 11:07 AM
Level 3
Level 3

Exactly right Mr. Fatah - you hit the nail on the head I think, the only thing they're really concerned about it play testing rather than grading I think, so long as it plays well on a SL1210 then it's ok..... I'm kinda using it to "practise" my grading system for when I (hopefully) start selling some vintage records. Looks like it's more or less correct.

vinyltouchOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 24, 2005 - 12:18 AM
Level 3
Level 3

hey this is great!! Thanks Cutter. I'm a hip hop d.j. and love mixin and scratchin. I have a perty good understanding of old school and funk. So I hope I can be an asset. I'll deffinatly be around alot more knowin theres a hip hop forum goin now. thanks guys.

BlipsterOffline
Post subject: Hello All  PostPosted: Mar 24, 2006 - 05:53 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Hello everyone

I'm a newbie here so be nice.. been a DJ and an avid collector for nearly 20 years and have amassed about 5000 records in my time (and still growing) - I seriously have crates of wax everywhere, my moms place has about 10 crates as well as a whole bookshelf full of old wax, I also have had to hire storage space for the other third of my collection. My house has also about 10 crates of vinyl. I started seriously collecting in 1986 and grew up on a diet of House and Hip Hop - so nearly all of the wax I have is dance orientated. I have a wealth of knowledge in obscure labels and artists / producers no one else has ever heard of or care about (well , maybe some do) so if I can help anyone please go right ahead and ask.

I feel that this genre of music is very underrated and largely ignored by other audiophiles.. hopefully this will change one day. I know that this genre is only at the most about 40 years old (hip hop anyway) but one day I would like to see a price guide that only list dance music.

Has anyone heard of Freddy Fresh's book on Rap Records? I have found this to be the best resource book for this genre of music

paulsvinylOffline
Post subject: RE: Hello All  PostPosted: Mar 24, 2006 - 09:23 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Welcome to the guild! Enjoy! Stay a while, there may not be much conversation on house music, but with a few more people like you, we'll get there!

Cheers!

me_kOffline
Post subject: Re: Hello All  PostPosted: Jul 28, 2006 - 04:16 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Hi there - been on the RCG boards before but completely lost all my info so I opened a new account. I think the dance section is new since I was last on here. I'm a long time collector/DJ - all sorts of styles and sounds. Detroit techno/house, Chicago stuff, deep things from the UK and elsewhere - it's got to have soul.
Also funk, disco, broken beats, hip-hop, reggae, jazz, etc.

Blipster wrote:
one day I would like to see a price guide that only list dance music.

Me too but so much of it was made to be abused and thus was - not too many of these records are super clean. I think it's only been in the last ten years that people have paid attention to its collectability.

Blipster wrote:
Has anyone heard of Freddy Fresh's book on Rap Records? I have found this to be the best resource book for this genre of music

Yep, I have it and I'm friends with old neighbors of Fred's. The neighbors are two brothers who have been hip-hop DJs/collectors for ages and amassed a huge collection. Freddy actually dipped into their collection for some of the titles in the book. I work with one of the brothers and he told me before the book came out how Fred was coming over and snapping photos of some records. After the book came out Freddy had a signing at a local record shop.

Jump to: