The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
RidinTheWind
Post subject: RE: Test Pressings  PostPosted: Sep 29, 2007 - 11:11 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I know of one Frank Sinatra test pressing that is supposed to be worth in the $1,000 range.

Reply with quote Back to top
annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Test Pressings  PostPosted: Sep 29, 2007 - 01:09 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

metrognome wrote:
Yes! Test pressings are pretty collectible.
They can be, depending on artist. Collectibility is directly proportional to demand.

crackerjackOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Test Pressings  PostPosted: Oct 02, 2007 - 01:07 AM
Level 5
Level 5

Some are valuable and some are not like the above it depends on the artist,how many were made etc pretty much depends on demand,some test pressings have the tracks in a different order or tracks that were ommited from the finished product.
I have a few the most collectable would be a Sore Throat-Never Mind The Napalm test press complete with banned track there were 40 made and most were destroyed so the story goes.

Former Member
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Test Pressings  PostPosted: Oct 02, 2007 - 08:56 PM

I found one a few months ago that is former 3 Dog Night musicians and others... and
the disc included a letter from BJ Management (Burt Jacobs, Steppenwolf and 3 DogNite Manager) promoting the band.

No idea about values...

annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Test Pressings  PostPosted: Oct 07, 2007 - 02:24 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

78s wrote:
I found one a few months ago that is former 3 Dog Night musicians and others....
This appears to be a test pressing for Columbia 3-10326. From what little info. I'm able to glean from a web search, "Why Can't You Be Mine" is the plug side; retail copies have "Fool Hard E." as the B-side.

zenboneOffline
Post subject: thoughts on test pressings?  PostPosted: Sep 08, 2008 - 08:56 AM
Level 4
Level 4

i was wondering if anyone has any opinions or thoughts on "test pressing" vinyl. I have a very extensive collection of my favorite group and there is a test pressing out there for sale. i already have all their vinyl (except for 1 extremely rare one (>.<) ) and usually pick up the color variants for each but i have not gotten any test pressings and was really not sure if they had any worth or carried any real value. of course it would be nice to include in my collection but the price is a little high. just not sure.
thoughts anyone?

SID
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 08, 2008 - 09:01 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

For a collector of a certain group,a complete collection should have test pressings. I like them.They are harder to find and sometimes cost alot more.

Okay...so who is the group ?

CTcollectorOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 08, 2008 - 10:08 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

For me, test pressings are a fun oddity, and well worth picking-up - at the right price . . . however, if a completest is REALLY looking for a rarity of any particular group/album, I would be much more likely to put a few extra bucks on an acetate.

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 08, 2008 - 12:09 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Same here - I've even found test pressings among radio station stock (did labels send these in place of promos sometimes?). Acetates are OK if you know you're getting sometihing like alternates takes or mixes but their fragile nature don't allow much in repeated plays.

kaos01Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 08, 2008 - 04:17 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

In the case of either test presses or acetates, it is always best to know the product AND the vendor.

There are a couple of people on eBay that are selling 'test presses' which are nothing more than the legit disc with a pre-fab 'test pressing' label glued over the original, then stuffed into a plain white jacket. These guys were making a killing.

Acetates are always a treat, but bear in mind that many acetates are nothing more than home recordings made of a legit disc. These were not made to defraud anyone; they were made for personal use...but if you and/or the vendor don't know that's the case, then you've got a whole lotta nuthin' at a premium price. An example of this was found on eBay a few months back as a vendor was selling a slew of Robert Johnson acetates.

.......this night wounds time.

Jump to: