The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
kaos01Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 08, 2008 - 04:22 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

kaos01 wrote:

Acetates are always a treat, but bear in mind that many acetates are nothing more than home recordings made of a legit disc.

What's really cool is finding acetates made in the 1930s, 40s and 50s that are home recordings of radio shows. I've seen some Jim Reeves recordings made of the live recordings of the Louisiana Hayride Show that predated his first discs on the Abbott label.

There's a heckuva lot of real, raw, and rare history to be found in some of those gems, and they're out there waiting to be rediscovered.

.......this night wounds time.

Reply with quote Back to top
weletthegoldfishgoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 08, 2008 - 07:40 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Thanks, all, for posting about these. I have none of these. I have never even seen any for sale where I've purchased records. Of course, I've seen 'em on ebay. I even remember that Robert Johnson stuff.

I buy new 180 and 200 gram reissues and new issues from Acoustic Sounds out of Salina, Kansas and they offer test pressings on some things. I guess these boys are legit, but $80 for a record is high in my department, and I guess spending that much on a record means I want something that I will frequently play.

Someday I s'pose I'll take the plunge, but I'm glad I'm getting some scoop on these before getting the shaft. THANKS!

zenboneOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 08, 2008 - 08:11 PM
Level 4
Level 4

kaos01 wrote:
In the case of either test presses or acetates, it is always best to know the product AND the vendor.

There are a couple of people on eBay that are selling 'test presses' which are nothing more than the legit disc with a pre-fab 'test pressing' label glued over the original, then stuffed into a plain white jacket. These guys were making a killing.

Is there any way to verify if it is legit? this IS on ebay.

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 09, 2008 - 07:43 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

From a distance, I don't think so. I agree that you'd have to know the dealer and his reputation. I don't buy such items unless I can actually see, touch, and (in the case of acetates) smell the Real McCoy. I agree with kaos - the best finds are the historic ones. But even on 78 RPM acetates and home recordings you'll find dubs of actual records - I've come across a few. I've got one Jazz item which was quickly dismissed by a local Jazz buff as "It's gotta be a bootleg" despite the fact that I found it among a bunch of legit 78s of the same vintage.

zenboneOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 09, 2008 - 08:17 AM
Level 4
Level 4

wand143 wrote:
From a distance, I don't think so. I agree that you'd have to know the dealer and his reputation. I don't buy such items unless I can actually see, touch, and (in the case of acetates) smell the Real McCoy. I agree with kaos - the best finds are the historic ones. But even on 78 RPM acetates and home recordings you'll find dubs of actual records - I've come across a few. I've got one Jazz item which was quickly dismissed by a local Jazz buff as "It's gotta be a bootleg" despite the fact that I found it among a bunch of legit 78s of the same vintage.

thanks for all the advice. i contacted the seller and got a feel for him and where the 45 came from. Seems legit and it is not TOO astronomical at this point. i will probably cautiously proceed with the purchase (assuming it does not go to high).

I am sorry i did not see the sticky before i posted... i'm a noob. This site is incredible for a newer vinyl lover! thanks again.

weletthegoldfishgoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 09, 2008 - 08:43 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

RCG is incredible for us seasoned vinyl lovers, too!

zenboneOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 09, 2008 - 08:48 AM
Level 4
Level 4

weletthegoldfishgo wrote:

ha ha ha.... i look forward to being a seasoned vinyl lover Very Happy

kaos01Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 09, 2008 - 01:49 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

zenbone wrote:
weletthegoldfishgo wrote:

ha ha ha.... i look forward to being a seasoned vinyl lover Very Happy

Pass the salt! Wink

Sorry...I just had to do that.

You were asking about how to be sure with something on eBay...weletthegoldfishgo answered your question for you. If you have doubts, ask us!

Granted, not every question will have an answer, but The Guild has some of the most experienced and knowledgable people this side of heaven (you are missed, Hollywood Phantom).

You have label and pressing plant questions? Annaloog, dk, and dkurtis probably have your answers. You wanna talk Elvis? Keeler is da man. You wanna talk rockabilly and Tejas tunes? LoneStar is an authority. Jazz? The Rooster leads a contingent of authorities. Metro is the Prince of Prog. Old R&B and rare label stuff? Wurlitzer, Fred C and I (more Wurlitzer and Fred C than I) oughta have something...and these are just a smattering of categories.

Not all discs are created equal around the globe. We have members on five of the seven continents (...still waiting for that big membership drive in Antartica). Ask away...the worst that we can do is give you a 'deer-caught-in-the-headlights' stare.

.......this night wounds time.

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 10, 2008 - 07:49 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

It's what I've always maintained: we're all in this together. None of us individually knows as much as all of us collectively.

Ernie11Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 03, 2010 - 04:18 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Once in a while a test pressing can be identified because it is stated as such on the label. I am hoping that this item displayed here is truly a test pressing. I was trying to date this, and the Kostelanetz LP refrenced on the label, I Googled and found an ad for it dated May 24, 1952. The vinyl has the reeded edge and look and fell of those early Columbia microgroove 7" records.

kostelanetz_test_pressing2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.83 KB
 Viewed:  224 Time(s)

kostelanetz_test_pressing2.jpg

kostelanetz_test_pressing1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  26.06 KB
 Viewed:  224 Time(s)

kostelanetz_test_pressing1.jpg

Jump to: