The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
LPMAN
Post subject: Introducing The Beatles - How to spot a fake  PostPosted: Dec 30, 2004 - 08:48 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I have made this thread "sticky" as there is a copious amount of Beatles collectors, and likewise of counterfeit copies of "Introducing the Beatles".

I feel this thread will be a great tool to Beatles collectors.

If you have any suggestions, tips, pictures to show how to spot a fake or what an authentic copy should look like (Any Versions) , please feel free to share in this thread.

Thanks to Keelerphoto for the below image:

The "H" test.

dsc_8082.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.98 KB
 Viewed:  3407 Time(s)

dsc_8082.jpg

Reply with quote Back to top
keelerphoto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 30, 2004 - 12:13 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

theres a great book by Bruce Spizer,foreward by perry cox"The Beatles Records On Vee Jay ,1998 by 498 productions ,LLC,,,,,,,,,i have to thank him for the info provided here on the" Honey" test,,,

Pgh GuyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 30, 2004 - 03:35 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hey LPMAN,

Thanks for the pix's....I think that the Beatleharb site thru the newsgroup is one of the best that I have seen for verifying what you have with "Introducng the Beatles"...Just go into his site and print the text....Really great..

Just my $.02 worth

Adios....Bye....Aye

Pgh Guy
John G

KimmoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 31, 2004 - 12:56 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

agree, Beatleharbīs site is the one ...

very quick check to find out real thing or fake, in one look;

if your copy, mono or stereo, has the title and artist name separated by the spindle hole in the middle of the record, there is no doubt: you have a fake

LPMAN
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 31, 2004 - 07:49 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Beatleharb's great site:

http://introducing.cjb.net

BeatleHarbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 04, 2005 - 07:19 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Hey, thanks for the linking to my site. Smile

It's taken over a year of research but now I can tell if a copy is fake or not at a glance. I've managed to snag some REAL bargains by people selling things on eBay where they really did not know the value of what they had - including a version 1 LP with brackets (picked up for $20) and a version 2 all-black label with small brackets (picked up for $10). At the moment I have about 30 copies of the LP in my collection (my dream is to own every label variation) 7 of which are fakes - bought for comparison studies.

If anyone has a copy they are having trouble authenticating, then all I need is a photo of the front cover, of the back cover and of the label and I'll be able to tell you one way or the other.

keelerphoto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 04, 2005 - 11:57 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

found recently on odd one,,,LP , version #2 with small brackets (45rpm label)

BeatleHarbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 04, 2005 - 02:49 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Both original pressings. The top was pressed at the American Record Pressing Co. in Michigan.

The bottom was also pressed at the American Record Pressing Co. in Michigan.

keelerphoto
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 05, 2005 - 01:47 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

real copys would have a stamp in the record ,,,,audio matrix or MR@(circled)

Former Member
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 05, 2005 - 06:37 PM

I just bought a counterfeit copy of "Introducing... THE BEATLES ENGLANDS No. 1 VOCAL GROUP" - SR 1062. I won it in an eBay auction and it cost me $3.25 plus $4.50 for s&h = $7.75. You might ask: "Why would anyone purposely buy a counterfeit?" Honestly, I didn't know that it was counterfeit until I received it and started researching it. The first site I went to is:
http://www.eskimo.com/~bpentium/beatles/intro/intro.html This site satisfied my needs to determine that, indeed, I had a counterfeit. After reading this thread I visited BeatleHarb's site: http://introducing.cjb.net and, while satisfying, I feel that the site above (eskimo) is better.

Let me state up front that I was extremely aware that my chances of getting an original copy of this LP were next to nothing. But one sometimes has to take a chance, and I did as the only photo provided showed a decent cover. If there had been an additional photo of the back cover I would have known up front (pun intended), if you know what I'm trying to say without saying it.

While both sites state that there are more fake copies out there than can be accounted for, and my copy definitely rates as a fake, I seem to have a high quality copy!

The word "STEREOPHONIC" at the top is silver, not black and the cover is smooth, not textured. George's shadow is visible. John's hand with watch is sharper than the poor-quality example shown. The cardboard at the "mouth" (open end where the record slides in) doesn't have an excessive amount of cardboard wrap; actually, there is no bent down section since the cover was either joined and glued at the top or... The titles on the flat back do have "LOVE ME DO" and "P.S. I LOVE YOU." The record label has the split title/name but all of the printing is high quality and balanced, not off center, etc. Whoever made this copy had high-quality equipment and knew what he/she was doing.

I checked the other fake indicators and everything matches my copy. But here is one last thing that neither of the above sites mention. While my cover says "STEREOPHONIC" at the top, the record plays in mono! Wouldn't this be the norm? As opposed to having a true stereo copy, or are there fake stereo copies? The record label doesn't say stereo nor are there indications of a stamper on the run-out groove. All that it has on the 1" run-out groove is a manually scratched 63 -3402 on Side 1 and 63-3403 on Side 2. The record grades at a fair/good.

If you think I got taken, yes, I did. But I emailed the seller as soon as I received the record, told him that the top and bottom edges were split and that it was a counterfeit and reminded him that eBay has a policy against selling counterfeits. If the record had been in very good condition as he advertised, I would have enjoyed listening to it. But it wasn't. Because I didn't go bananas and insult the guy when I wrote to him and treated him like a person and requested a total refund plus if he would pay for the return postage he could have the record back, he immediately contacted PayPal and I got a full refund from which PayPal stole .52 cents. That's my total loss since the guy didn't want me to return the record. I have a .52 cents collectible and a lesson well learned.

Vinyliszt

P.S. Does an original copy of this LP have an apostrophe between the D and S in "ENGLANDS" as it should, grammatically speaking?

Jump to: