The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
prancinghorseOffline
Post subject: Bootlegs vs. pirates vs. counterfeits  PostPosted: Jan 09, 2005 - 06:55 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

To make the distinction between the above clear I think the following definitions should be used:

Counterfeits
Counterfeits are reprints of official releases which try to have exactly the same look as originals (labels and sleeves).

Pirates
Pirates are reprints of official releases as well. But the "producers" do not try to make the record look like the original (this meaning they use different label styles as well as different sleeves).

Bootlegs
Bootlegs are records with material (this can be live recordings [like most boots are], studio sessions or other jams) which normally is not released by official sources.

And no serious collector and vinyl enthusiast (record lover) would knowingly ever buy a counterfeit / pirate - I know there are exceptions (like the Beatles "Butcher" cover) but those are really exceptions..

Reply with quote Back to top
wwotr
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 12, 2005 - 01:34 AM
Level 5
Level 5

Love your Avitar.
Reminds me of the days when I'd go to a local record shop (circa 1972) and buy the latest Led Zeppelin boot on COLORED VINYL and STILL IN THE SHRINK WRAP , for $3.95 ($6.95 for double lp).
Not that I'm Wink THAT old, dontcha know.
I read it in a book.

Wink

KFAOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 01, 2006 - 03:40 PM
Level 5
Level 5

I'm still a little bit of a youngster, but I swear I just saw a Jane's Addiction bootleg that I RECORDED with a handheld at the Boathouse in '87!!!! Where's my royalty check??? arrrrggghhh.... Badger

Cameron/~Offline
Post subject: Re: Bootlegs vs. pirates vs. counterfeits  PostPosted: Mar 01, 2006 - 07:45 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

prancinghorse wrote:
And no serious collector and vinyl enthusiast (record lover) would knowingly ever buy a counterfeit / pirate - I know there are exceptions (like the Beatles "Butcher" cover) but those are really exceptions..

If the original is out of print and goes for $200, hell yes they would.

prancinghorseOffline
Post subject: Re: Bootlegs vs. pirates vs. counterfeits  PostPosted: Mar 02, 2006 - 10:27 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Cameron/~ wrote:
prancinghorse wrote:

If the original is out of print and goes for $200, hell yes they would.

so $200 records are no exceptions ?? Rolling Eyes Confused

Cameron/~Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: Bootlegs vs. pirates vs. counterfeits  PostPosted: Mar 02, 2006 - 10:35 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I'm saying, if the original is out of your reach pricewise, and some south american outfit makes a vinyl counterfeit, then, to me, you can buy it and still be serious.
Why go without?
Especially if the band can't be contacted for re-release purposes or, worse yet, the label holding the rights has no wish to ever re-release it.
But I consider myself more of a music fan than a collector.

annaloogOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Bootlegs vs. pirates vs. counterfeits  PostPosted: Mar 02, 2006 - 10:28 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

I've bought only one record that I knew was a counterfeit (despite how it was described in the auction listing), and that was mainly to have an example on hand to distinguish differences with an authentic copy.

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 24, 2006 - 04:22 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

FELLOW GUILDERS

Without counterfeits and pirates (and etc.), it is possible that the ever thriving market for R&B group vocal 45s and privately-pressed psych. punk.prog/christian/etc. rock LPs (among others) would not exist as wellfully as they do. . .

NEAL

OldRockrOffline
Post subject: reputible record stores  PostPosted: Aug 25, 2006 - 01:12 AM
Level 4
Level 4

If i baught all my albumns in england "braintree" a small record store, woulkd they sell pirate and counterfits do you think.? i think most of mine are live recordings at clubs.... is that a boot then ?

THANX !!!

NavaronUKOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 25, 2006 - 01:34 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

id say most small UK shops sell boots, whether its above or under the counter - certainly they arent difficult to in din Manchester

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Jump to: