The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
OldRockrOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 25, 2006 - 04:14 PM
Level 4
Level 4

are good coppies of boots worth money like the jimi hendrix boots i got posted in jimi section?

Reply with quote Back to top
MikeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 24, 2010 - 08:25 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

An underground vinyl plant was shut down in England a few months ago. They produced counterfeit copies and pirate records mostly on colured vinyl whcih you can still see on Ebay. The owner of this plant has a brother who also owns an underground vinyl plant in England. There is also a small plant in Germany that produces copies of sought after reggae records. The demand for counterfeit records is driven by collectors.

soib45Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 24, 2010 - 07:27 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

"""And no serious collector and vinyl enthusiast (record lover) would knowingly ever buy a counterfeit / pirate"

Popsike and Collectors frenzy ect say wayyyyyyyyyy different.

ewingtonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 25, 2010 - 06:37 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

A couple I have are:
The Catalinas on Little
Otis Spann (blue vinyl) on Checker
Both are real good repros as to the naked eye they almost exactly the same as the real thing, the dead wax gave both away.
However, I do agree with some others that one would never knowingly buy a repro unless an original was so expensive or rare that little choice is left.
For the record (no pun intended) the Catalinas lists in the 100-200 range and I cant ever remember seeing a copy and the Spann on Checker books $750 - 1000 and I dont know if the original was release on blue wax or standard black.
I couldnt ever afford either truth be told, so repro's do have their place in my opinion.

prancinghorseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 26, 2010 - 09:48 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

soib45 wrote:
"""And no serious collector and vinyl enthusiast (record lover) would knowingly ever buy a counterfeit / pirate"

it would have been nice if you would not have left out the rest of my statement (but then obviously you would not have had a chance to make your point)

vinylhoundOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 29, 2010 - 03:36 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

prancinghorse wrote:
soib45 wrote:

it would have been nice if you would not have left out the rest of my statement (but then obviously you would not have had a chance to make your point)

They can't help themselves. They are as clueless as the buyers they're referencing.
Big difference between knowing, and being clueless.

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 31, 2010 - 05:54 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

FELLOW GUILDERS

If you are not aware of the HUGE market for collectable boots (and even some repros) that has existed for decades (back in the '80s, I used to get $100 a pop for colored vinyl TMQs pressed in the '70s by Bowie and Hendrix and just about any other major collectable artist), then you should investigate things before opining publicly . . .

Hope this helps,

NEAL

vinylhoundOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 31, 2010 - 11:58 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

nealumphred wrote:
FELLOW GUILDERS

If you are not aware of the HUGE market for collectable boots (and even some repros) that has existed for decades (back in the '80s, I used to get $100 a pop for colored vinyl TMQs pressed in the '70s by Bowie and Hendrix and just about any other major collectable artist), then you should investigate things before opining publicly . . .

Hope this helps,

NEAL

Bootlegs are obviously not fakes. Colored TMOQ's still bring bucks. Even the later black vinyl ones can bring in some bucks. But you will not sell Floyd, or Zep TMOQ's if you are selling from the U.S. on Ebay.
The original poster, and myself are talking about people unknowingly, or even knowingly paying bucks for fakes. It's a waste of money, and most serious collectors will not do it. It's one thing to pay $20 bucks for a fake of a $3000 record, it's another thing to pay a couple hundred bucks for a fake. Just because there are folks lacking knowledge, and you are selling to them it doesn't make it any more sensible from a collector/buyer standpoint.

prancinghorseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 01, 2010 - 12:37 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

vinylhound wrote:
nealumphred wrote:
FELLOW GUILDERS

Hope this helps,

NEAL

Bootlegs are obviously not fakes. Colored TMOQ's still bring bucks. Even the later black vinyl ones can bring in some bucks. But you will not sell Floyd, or Zep TMOQ's if you are selling from the U.S. on Ebay.
The original poster, and myself are talking about people unknowingly, or even knowingly paying bucks for fakes. It's a waste of money, and most serious collectors will not do it. It's one thing to pay $20 bucks for a fake of a $3000 record, it's another thing to pay a couple hundred bucks for a fake. Just because there are folks lacking knowledge, and you are selling to them it doesn't make it any more sensible from a collector/buyer standpoint.

AMEN!

hiddentruthOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 14, 2011 - 09:46 PM
Level 2
Level 2

I find it really odd that all these new colored vinyl knock offs sell for so much, it seem to me a more fair price would be in the 15 to 20 dollar range, but I see them sell for over 50 regularly ....why? They are clearly new & there are clearly TONS of them out there....truthfully I would score lots of them if the price was right & the economy didn't suck so bad....

Jump to: