The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
metrognome
Post subject: Metrognome's Prog Picks  PostPosted: Jan 12, 2005 - 08:02 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

As some of you probably know by now, there are a couple of things I like to do. Actually I like to do more than two things, but there are two things I like to do here. One is to talk about music, and another is to write. I have written music reviews since my college newspaper let me write a few things about some obscure music, and I have written my own reviews website, and I have contributed to many others. I don't write much anymore, so now I'm getting the urge, and there is no better place than here.

With Uncle Hippie's blessing, I have decided it might be fun to write a semi-regular post about some of the slightly obscure music I listen to. Hopefully I will be able to do this once every couple of weeks. This will be much like Uncle Hippie's Pick of the Week, but I will only do one album at a time, and I will focus more narrowly on music in the progressive or avant-arde territories. This will not necessarilly always be prog rock per se, but most of what I review will be at least tangentially related to prog rock in some way. Don't worry, I have no plans to review Yes or ELP albums. Most of you are at least somewhat familiar with them. This is about stuff that is mor eunder the radar. I will also try to include whatever collectibility information I can about the album in LP form. This info will include:

Rating: Rating of the music based on 5 stars.
Rarity: How common is the LP? Somewhat uncommon, rare, very rare, etc.
Expect to pay: Price range in $US based mostly on trends observed on Ebay, but also on Musicstack, Gemm and others if it is rare enough.
Available on CD?: Yes or no.

Hopefully this will be entertaining as well as informative, and maybe I'll turn a few of you on to good music you might not have otherwise heard.

I am not an expert in much of anything, but I have been a hard core prog freak for about 10 years now. Anyone who wants to share information relating to one of my entries, especially when it comes to rarity, price, label varieties, etc., is encouraged to do so. All comments are welcome.

Thanks for reading, and enjoy!

Reply with quote Back to top
metrognome
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 12, 2005 - 08:32 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Metrognome’s Prog Picks Number 1

Davis Dylvian & Holger Czukay
Plight & Premonition
Venture/Virgin Records America 90904-1

Rating: **** of 5
Rarity: somewhat uncommon
Expect to pay: $3-5
Available on CD?: Yes

Some of you may recognize the names of the artists on this LP from their earlier work. David Sylvian was the singer for the British “new romantic” group Japan, whose look and sound prefigured everything Duran Duran ever did. Holger Czukay was in the influential German avant-garde rock group Can. This unique LP is quite different from the most of the music of either of those bands, however.

This album is comprised of just two instrumental tracks of extended-length explorations into dream-like ambiance. It seems fair to say that the influence of ambient pioneer Brian Eno is deeply felt on this album, but the territory Sylvian and Czukay travel here is more detailed, more musical and more mysterious than much of Eno’s work. This is probably not truly ambient music in the sense Eno imagined it. This is music that rewards closer listening rather than being just background noise to an environmental experience. While guitar, organ and synthesizer chords swell and fade gently, delicate piano melodies, breathy themes for flute and even short-wave radio transmissions in foreign tongues keep things interesting.

Side one’s 18-minute “Plight” (subtitled “The Spiraling of Winter Ghosts”) is the more mysterious of the two pieces. It has a distinct minor key feel and its backward volume swells and seemingly carelessly spliced edits create a distinct feeling of disorientation. Side two is “Premonition (Giant Empty Iron Vessel),” which is two minutes shorter and distinctly more positive in feel. It exhibits an air of wonder and possibility, as well as very pleasant, dream-like quality.

Like the beautiful sepia-toned photograph that adorns the cover, the music on this LP is detailed, beautiful and enigmatic. This is probably not the first place to start listening to this kind of music, but it should be high on your list of albums to search out if you already do.

Music Lover
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 13, 2005 - 12:01 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Metrognome, I will look forward to reading your reviews. Very Happy

Gail

DJRicky45Offline
Post subject: Re: Metrognome's Prog Picks  PostPosted: Jan 13, 2005 - 01:30 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

metrognome wrote:
I have written music reviews since my college newspaper let me write a few things about some obscure music, and I have written my own reviews website, and I have contributed to many others. I don't write much anymore, so now I'm getting the urge, and there is no better place than here.

. I am not an expert in much of anything, but I have been a hard core prog freak for about 10 years now. Anyone who wants to share information relating to one of my entries, especially when it comes to rarity, price, label varieties, etc., is encouraged to do so. All comments are welcome.

Thanks for reading, and enjoy!

Hey Metro......

Another PR fan here and I look forward for your picks.
I've done the same thing when I did feature albums for radio when groups would release new albums but I really liked to feature the obscure bands that no one had heard. Unfortunately, some of these bands have never been heard from since Rolling Eyes

metrognome
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 13, 2005 - 07:43 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Thanks for the comments, Gail and Ricky. I know not everyone heare will be interested in this stuff, but I think we have enough who will be to make ti worth while.

By the way, it's DAVID Sylvian, not Davis Sylvian, as I had typed it. Embarassed

iheart45sOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 13, 2005 - 01:59 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Oooh oooh and oooh!

metrognome
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 13, 2005 - 02:23 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Assuming you're oohing at the LP, let me make this easy for you, iheart45s:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=306&item=4066377374&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=306&item=4039755984&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

The first one is still sealed!

No, I'm not selling these.

iheart45sOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 13, 2005 - 04:20 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I'm ooohing because you're gonna start the column. Can't wait. The prog needs its new day of reckoning.

I've heard the album before...don't have a copy of it yet tho. Damn you ebay, damn you...

metrognome
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 13, 2005 - 07:24 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Quote:
I'm ooohing because you're gonna start the column. Can't wait. The prog needs its new day of reckoning.

Ok, cool. Even better!

I guess I'll have to find something more obscure next time if you've heard this.

You proggers and adventurous music fans out there let me know if I am not covering stuff that's obscure enough.

NitroOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 13, 2005 - 07:42 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

You could start off a little simpler for those of us who aren't even sure of the definition of "prog" or what type of sound it is.

to make that long link short "[url=" (no quotes) paste link, follow with ]my link [/url]"

Jump to: