The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BeatleHarbOffline
Post subject: Writing the Perfect eBay Auction...  PostPosted: Feb 15, 2005 - 07:59 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Writing the Perfect eBay Auction...

This is a short, simple yet effective guide on how to create the perfect eBay auction for maximum exposure and bidding potential. I've set it out as a series of bullet points.

- Make sure that the title covers everything you want to cover. So many times now I've seen eBay auctions with the title "beatles album" and unsurprisingly it gets little or no hits. Look at the item - what makes it special? Where does the value lie? Say for example you have a NM condition copy of the Beatles LP 'Please Please Me'. You could have the title "Beatles LP - Please Please Me". It'll get hits but there's nothing to draw the collectors in. Mention it's an original pressing if it is, mention the condition, make them know it's rare. A suitable title would be something like "RARE ORIG 63 Beatles LP - Please Please Me NM!". Let them know exactly what you're selling and the condition it's in before they even click on the link.

- Cover EVERYTHING in your auction. Don't leave anything open to guesswork. So many auctions I see have just one line that reads something like "Beatles LP. Cover EX disc VG+" and then leave it like that. Vinyl collectors need to know everything! Start the auction description off with the name of the LP then describe the label in terms of colour and company. Then give the catalogue number. Give the condition of the cover, and then mention anything that's worth mentioning. Does the cover have creasing? ringwear? stickers? rips of tears? stains? seamsplits? If so, where? and how badly does it affect the condition? The same with the disc. Does it have scuffing? scratching? bad marks? warps? Does the label have spindewear? writing? wear? tears? stickers?

- Make your shipping information as clear as possible. If it's being sent within country, how much will it cost? If it's being sent overseas then how much surface mail and how much airmail? How much will it cost to insure the item? Make your accepted methods of payment clear and easy to see so that there's no confusion after the auction has ended. It's happened to me where it's only after the auction has ended that I've discovered it's non-PayPal.

- Provide clear photographs that show everything! In my auctions I have a minimum of 6 photos for every LP I sell. A photo of the front cover, the back cover, the side 1 vinyl, the side 1 label, the side 2 vinyl and the side 2 label. Show anything that may need highlighting like why the cover/disc could be rare (spelling mistakes, early pressings etc). Photos of any hidden damage (like seamsplits) would be appreciated by potential bidders, but isn't really necessary since you've highlighted the damage in the description. Giving the auction a gallery image for the search is recommended for the rarer stuff - make sure it's an image of what's making the LP rare. For example, if you're selling a 'Gold-type' label copy of Please Please Me, make sure it's a photo of the label.

- Answer every question you receive and post ones that could apply to others on the auction itself (eBay have a function for this). Make sure you reply with a detailed response that covers everything that's being asked for (one word replies are irritating and in some lights kind of rude - it gives the impression that you don't want to give the time to properly help).

Reply with quote Back to top
BeatleHarbOffline
Post subject: RE: Writing the Perfect eBay Auction...  PostPosted: Feb 15, 2005 - 08:07 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

One thing I forgot to mention for the photos - make sure that they're clear and good quality. They're pointless if they're small and blocky.

BeatleHarbOffline
Post subject: RE: Writing the Perfect eBay Auction...  PostPosted: Feb 15, 2005 - 04:42 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Cool! who stickied this? Smile

BeatleHarbOffline
Post subject: RE: Writing the Perfect eBay Auction...  PostPosted: Feb 18, 2005 - 06:03 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

More to go on....

- Make sure you have a detailed auction description, but don't go overboard. Stick to the plain facts and don't go off on any tangents. There's one eBayer who reminisces about every LP he sells and write about 3 A4 pages worth of crap. I just can't comprehend what he's trying to say!

- Keep the format outlined clearly. Have a first paragraph for the details such as album title, artist, label and catalogue number. Then the next paragraph should be about the history of the piece and why it's rare (if anything like that needs highlighting). Then a paragraph for the condition of the cover, then one for the disc, then one for the labels. Finally, finish up with the seller stuff - the end text that tells people why they should bid for your copy and not for any others that're on eBay. Sell it!

Uncle Hippie
Post subject: RE: Writing the Perfect eBay Auction...  PostPosted: Feb 18, 2005 - 10:17 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Great post, BeatleHarb! Thanks for all the tips.

One thing that also helps sell records is to drop a little praise for what you're selling. I like to write a little review of the disc, exerting its positives. Buyers seem to like reading them and if you write up a lot of praise for an album you're selling it puts them over the edge so that they can't resist bidding. One thing that drives me nuts, though, is when the seller is too effusive. They'll use terms like stunning condition, lovely, gorgeous, you may never see one again, etc.

Uncle Hippie
Post subject: RE: Writing the Perfect eBay Auction...  PostPosted: Feb 18, 2005 - 10:22 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Btw, with praise, I don't necessarily mean you have to write like Ritchie Unterberger. Just write a couple sentances about the band and how good their album is (even if you really think that it sucks).

If you write, "not the band's best effort" or "I can't really get into this music" you'll likely turn off potential bidders.

wmc64123Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 19, 2005 - 12:36 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

There is no such thing as writing the "perfect" eBay auction. Your ideas are well thought out..but some of the Most successful sellers simply use the angle: Don't have a TT anymore and claim no more responsibilty. It's a proven formula. I could be one who goes on "tangents". Thats my style. Trying to educate because nothing to lose. But since..ONCE AGAIN..I only sell 15% there..who cares? Rolling Eyes After all, after 30,000 plus LP sales (bulking a lot). there...why would I? Feedback is So misleading!

beccabearOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 16, 2007 - 12:19 AM
Level 4
Level 4

The perfect listing to me as a buyer or seller gives as much useful information as possible, the company serial number (as in LSP-1904 for example), if it is stereo or monophonic (or duophonic, or any other weird-ass type of process), as well as the label's name which issued it, the track list, the country of the pressing, and any physical flaws whatsoever and where they are and if they effect playability. You'd be surprised how few sellers can be relied on to give these basics.

Oh, and the listing title that catches my eye does not say RARE when there are a couple dozen listed per week, so do not waste your space with that word. Even if it is rare don't bother putting that word in as anyone wanting it knows this believe me.

Atlantic_CTI_JazzOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 16, 2007 - 07:30 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Make sure you put RARE NORTHERN SOUL in the title, even if it's country folk music. That's guaranteed to double your final price.

Atlantic Jazz LPs SD1200+
Blue Thumb (LPs or 45s)
CTI/Kudu/Salvation/Metronome LPs (Not CTI 8000s)
Skye LPs
Pride LPs
Stax/Volt/Enterprise/We Produce LPs

TheMastermindOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 16, 2007 - 08:21 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

'Rare' is a wasted word to put in your E-Bay title. You only get so many letters in your title and those are the ones that go through search engines and get you your hits. If you use words that aren't likely to be in buyer's searches or don't give crucial info, you are wasting money and probably reducing your hits.

Jump to: