The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
whirlingdiscOffline
Post subject: Maurice Gibb  PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 - 03:02 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

No more Bee Gees!!! Almost unfathomable! It's hard to get old and bare witness to the passing of such legacies! I had the pleasure of seeing the Brothers Gibb live twice! Sounded in concert just like their records! They are #6 on the all-time best seller list for LP's! Astounding!! And what a loss!!
Ralf

Reply with quote Back to top
dbzOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 - 05:06 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Ralf,

I concur. Plus, we all have to pass eventually, but to go at such an early age (53) is truly unfortunate. He will certainly be missed.

The following is an report from the Associated Press.

"MIAMI (AP) -- The surviving members of the disco sensation Bee Gees criticized doctors' treatment of their bandmate and brother Maurice Gibb, who died while undergoing emergency surgery.

Robin and Barry Gibb claimed mistakes were made by Mount Sinai Medical Center doctors, where Maurice Gibb was operated on for an intestinal blockage. He died Sunday after suffering heart attack before the operation.

"We believe mistakes were made and time was wasted," Robin Gibb told the British Broadcasting Corp. Sunday.

They questioned whether it was necessary to operate on Maurice, 53, when he was in a state of cardiac arrest. He had been admitted to the hospital four days earlier.

"We're both devastated. We've actually been in shock for the last few days since Maurice was taken ill, and so this has all gone too fast for us," Robin Gibb told the BBC. "It's like a nightmare that you wake up to every day. That's all we can say. It's just devastating. It's going to take a long time even just for it to sink in."

Hospital spokeswoman Kathleen Dorkowski said she could not comment on the allegations because of patient privacy laws.

Meanwhile, fans sent flowers to the hospital and the brothers' homes in England, said Pete Bassett, a spokesman for Barry Gibb.

"He was a truly talented artist and a wonderful man full of wit and passion for life," Bee Gees manager Allen Kovac said in a statement.

The Bee Gees, short for the Brothers Gibb -- twins Maurice and Robin, and older brother Barry -- were known for their tight, high harmonies and original sound. Their younger brother, Andy, who had a successful solo career, died in 1988 at age 30 from a heart ailment.

The brothers had nine No. 1 songs, wrote dozens of hits for other artists, and sold more than 110 million records -- placing them fifth in pop history behind Elvis Presley, the Beatles, Michael Jackson and Paul McCartney.

The group's contributions to the "Saturday Night Fever" album in 1977 made it the best selling movie soundtrack ever, with more than 40 million copies sold.

The Bee Gees became members of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and won seven Grammy Awards.

Maurice Gibb, a recovering alcoholic who played bass and keyboard for the band, once lamented how some perceived the Bee Gees, best known for hits like "Stayin' Alive," simply as a disco phenomenon.

"People accuse us of being nothing more than a disco band now," Gibb said in a 1978 interview with TG Magazine. "But they don't know what they're talking about. If you listen to our records, you'll find that there's dance music. But there are also ballads like `More Than A Woman.' And there are some very beautiful, undanceable songs, too."

Gibb's first wife was British singer Lulu. He and his second wife, Yvonne, were married for more than 20 years and had two children."

dbz

jackcaptureOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 - 10:31 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Y'know, I never cared much for the Bee Gees, but there's something that truly touches me about his death. Too young, too talented, too typecast...a major contributor to the world of pop music is gone.

akshobhyavajraOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 14, 2003 - 07:19 AM
Level 3
Level 3

I met up with Maurice once at a coffee shop in Miami back in '97 - he was a real nice, down-to-earth guy. Very pleasant to talk to with a good sense of humor. Pop music has not really ever been my personal preference, but certainly sad news nonetheless.

~Michael~

voiceofthepeople
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 18, 2003 - 06:01 PM
Former Member

Gun crime up 27%

Bee Gees down 33%

Which is more important?

dbzOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 18, 2003 - 06:42 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

voiceofthepeople wrote:
Gun crime up 27%

Bee Gees down 33%

Which is more important?

Wow, here we go again. I realize that at this message board, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But, this guy's (or girl's) social skills are truly lacking.

The gist of this topic is about the loss of a great performer. It has absolutely nothing to do with the ills that plague our society. Nor should it be indicative of our priorities in life.

If I am overreacting to his/hers response, please set me straight.

dbz

jackcaptureOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 18, 2003 - 07:22 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

No, dbz, I have to agree. I laughed politely at this person's first post, smiled wanly at the second, but kept a straight face on this one. Time for this guest to leave the party.

whirlingdiscOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 18, 2003 - 11:05 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Oh No!!! He's a great contributor! Hasn't helped a soul with any useful information but certainly has managed to alienate a number of regulars and is probably relishing the fact that we are wasting our time chastising him. My vote is that the moderators block his useless banter and insulting, menial messages.
Ralf

Former Member
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 18, 2003 - 11:05 PM

dbz,
Isn't that the way it always works?? As soon as you start talking about this being a nice board.....the jerks start coming out of the wood work!!
Gail

voiceofthepeople
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 21, 2003 - 07:08 PM
Former Member

Anonymous wrote:
dbz,
Isn't that the way it always works?? As soon as you start talking about this being a nice board.....the jerks start coming out of the wood work!!
Gail

Jerk here!

Hi Gail! ('Woodwork' is one word BTW)

It is a nice board. I agree. Just thought you could do with a little bit of entertainment around here. You record collectors - you're a bit dry, a bit stuffy, a bit anal. So my job is to lighten your lives.

No, stop it..don't thank me. It's my pleasure. I'll be dropping by now and then to brighten things up. Meantime I'll leave you with the Ralf's and the Dustjunkies who'll keep you informed of the relevancies of the codes on run-out grooves.

It's a wonderful life. Cool

Jump to: