The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jackcaptureOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 10, 2006 - 12:50 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Great stuff, Scot! I think this is a key statement.
Quote:
remember that for every $1,000 record sold there is one less person willing (needing) to spend $1,000 on that record.

Even though vinyl has seen some growth in popularity, I doubt it's the same vinyl that brought big bucks over the last, say, 25 years. I can't help but think demand is slowly shrinking, and as collectors die off (not rushing anyone here Smile ), supply will increase. Therefore, lower prices.

Reply with quote Back to top
nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 10, 2006 - 01:47 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

JACKCAPTURE

Lemme try altering your statement a wee bit:

"Even though comic books collecting has seen some growth in popularity, I doubt it's the same comics that brought big bucks over the last, say, 25 years. I can't help but think demand is slowly shrinking, and as collectors die off (not rushing anyone here ), supply will increase. Therefore, lower prices."

Or substitute baseball cards, stamps, Barbie dolls, or anything else. The truly rare and desirable, or "key", collectables almost always continue to rise in value.

A few years ago, GOOD ROCKING TONIGHT attempted to attract investment-oriented collectors to the field by making them aware of "key" artists, labels, and records. They certainly had my blessing in that regard. Unless a huge supply of Elvis' Sun singles or Beatles "portrait covers" or Chances on red wax are uncovered, do not expect them to lose any real value soon.

Hope this helps. . .

NEAL

PS: I think what we wanna say is that some "big bucks" items that are linked to a generation may not retain their value over time. In record collecting, whole genres (LPs featuring Dixieland jazz and Original Cast Recordings come too easily to mind) have lost their appeal for younger collectors. But Hard-bop may be with us forever. . .

vinyl1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 10, 2006 - 01:55 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

"....2) how many price guide authors have "hidden agendas" in regards to their own collections or record-selling businesses.

That reminds me of the story of the guy who wrote the price guide to collectible lunch boxes. He quietly accumulated mint examples until he had a warehouse full, and then wrote a price guide listing them all at high prices. I believe he made out OK.

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 10, 2006 - 03:12 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

VINYL1

Or the guy who had 25-count boxes (that's plural) of colored vinyl promos sent to him by a certain record company, each of which would then appear in his next guide for $200+.

You don't wanna know what I know about some of the price guide guys.

On the other hand, I had a young wheeler/dealer who helped one of the other price guide guys out on his massive tomes. He was well aware of the fact that the values of records by a singer from Memphis were hugely over-valued in those books, due to the author's being a devoted collector of same.

When he saw the values that I assigned Beatles records (ALL of which have been historically WAY undervalued by everyone else), he automatically assumed that I was a Beatles collector who wanted to inflate the value of my extensive collection. He simply would not beleieve me that I was not, that I simply own Mint copies of records that I like to listen to. That's how far his cynicism had come from working with the other author. . .

NEAL

The King Of Palm SpringsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 11, 2006 - 04:44 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

nealumphred wrote:
SCOTAPELL

You wrote:

Quote:
Price guides are hit or miss. Nearly every one over-values common records. Each seems to have it's minimum value be it $10 or $15. Some times I think this is meant to sell Price Guides not Records.

YES!!! That's your quote but italicized by me! YES!! YES!!! I was wondering how long it would take a fellow Guilder to say that. It is NEVER in the interest of the price guide guys to tell the truth about common records. After all, who would need to buy a book telling them that GREASE and THRILLER and RUMOURS, etc., are worth a buck or less apiece. . .

Thank you again for stating what needed to be stated!!!

NEAL

Ahe-he-hem Wink http://www.recordcollectorsguild.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=14812&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=king&start=30

scotapellOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 11, 2006 - 11:38 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

King, Wink

The thing that really gets my goat is contributors or writers purposefully over or undervaluing high end items.

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 11, 2006 - 12:23 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

KINGOFPALMSPRINGS

Thank you for remembering and posting that link. I have been saying the same thing about certain guides since I became a Guilder. Nothing has changed; just buy the latest from KP.

SCOTAPELL

It is the rule, not the seception. You will never know the amount of animosity I created in the jazz LP field with my first jazz guide. Despite the fact that I was WAY off throughout the book (too high on the pre-bop and way too low on the bop and hard-bop), I was still heading towards the truth. Arguably the most successful jazz album dealer in the US had a pet name for me: I'd tell you but the Guild's auto-censor would swoop on in and substitute some asterisks here and there, spoiling the profane beauty of the utternance.

Hope this helps. . .

NEAL

PS: Wuddahell! he rechristened me "Nealfuckingumphred". One word, spit out with vehemence. It always surprised -and amused- the people he dealt with who knew me. . .

Former Member
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 12, 2006 - 03:25 AM

The way you folks describe the price guide... inaccuracies ...
makes it sound fraudulent at worst, lame at best,
if the content of this thread is an indicator of price guides...

So basically unless you are a tenured shellac & vinyl scientist, your
best bet is to guess? :-/

Which is the best price guide?

The most REALISTIC, I mean...

vinyl1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 12, 2006 - 07:00 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

"Which is the best price guide?

My spreadsheet of prices realized on eBay over the last six years.

Classical, since that's my interest.

But anyone can create one for himself. Go to the completed auctions every week, find sales you're interested in, and start typing. Keep as much detail as possible: condition, label, deadwax, seller quality, type of grading. After a couple of years, you will know as much as anyone, if not more.

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 12, 2006 - 10:39 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

VINYL1

I will repeat this endlessly: Ebay is fine as a current "indicator" if the things you collect are pursued by intelligent, knowledgeable buyers willing to bid accordingly. There are many formats and genres that the Ebay buyers have no interest in and for those it is no indicator at all. Plus, Ebay has been taken over by "moods" with great regularity. There was a period several years Simon & Garfunkel mono LPs were HOT! HOT! HOT! Hhey were going for $50-75 apiece when they were really worth $15-25. But that did not stop the stampede among Ebayers. . .

NEAL

PS: Had I been posting that S&G monos were worth $15-25 during that period, I would have had to fend off posts from Ebay-watchers here at RCG insisting that they were worth $75 each. . .

Jump to: