The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
LPMAN
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 06, 2005 - 07:21 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Noted, thanks Neal.

Reply with quote Back to top
nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 06, 2005 - 11:51 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

LPMAN

Were any such Elvis-only sleeves printed anywhere else in the world in the '60s?

NEAL

LPMAN
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 06, 2005 - 12:07 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I believe there was two Elvis only inner sleeve variants for West German pressings. I know I have one from the "Roustabout" German LP.

As for other countries, I have not seen, nor heard of any others. Worth investigating.

Canada should count as well, but they are the same as the US counterparts.

LPMAN
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 06, 2005 - 12:08 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Oh one more thing Neal,

do you know if Elvis RCA Compact 33's were issued with a sleeve when sold retail, or were they just in the card-stock jacket?

I say no, but I'm having a running debate with someone on this issue.

prancinghorseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 06, 2005 - 12:27 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

LPMAN wrote:
I believe there was two Elvis only inner sleeve variants for West German pressings. I know I have one from the "Roustabout" German LP.

If that's really the case (I am not doubting that it is true) it is at least not influencing the value as it NOT mentioned as a distinguishing factor in price guides.

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 06, 2005 - 12:31 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

LPMAN

Compact-33 singles were issued in paper picture sleeves almost identical to regular 45 sleeves (except they are outrageously rarer).

The compact-33 EP, ELVIS BY REQUEST - FLAMING STAR, was issued just like a regular EP: no paper innber sleeve but in a cardboard jacket. Some were put in loose plastic "baggie"-like sleeves with a price sticker affixed to the front (I believe they retailed for $1.29). There were other such compact-33 EPs by RCA artists, including Sam Cooke. All of them are harder to find than the Elvis title, which sold respectably but failed to establish the medium.

Hope this helps!

NEAL

PS: If it isn't too much work, howzabout posting a picture of the German inner sleeve from ROUSTABOUT. . .

annaloogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 06, 2005 - 02:55 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

LPMAN wrote:
...do you know if Elvis RCA Compact 33's were issued with a sleeve when sold retail, or were they just in the card-stock jacket?

RCA Victor Compact 33 Doubles, in the LPC- series -- essentially mini-albums -- were issued in thin card picture sleeves. This series was sold at retail, and appears to have been sold to the coin op (juke box) trade as well, although RCA Victor established a separate coin op-only series.

Here is an example of an RCA Victor Compact 33 Single sleeve. In my experience they don't appear to be particularly uncommon. Were it not for ebay, though, they probably would be much harder to find.

37-7868c.jpg
 Description:
RCA Victor Compact 33 Single
company sleeve
 Filesize:  21.28 KB
 Viewed:  673 Time(s)

37-7868c.jpg

LPMAN
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 06, 2005 - 04:45 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Thanks.

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 06, 2005 - 04:49 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

ANNALOOG

Thanks! Haven't seen one of those generic sleeves in years.

With Elvis, the first single released as both a 45 and a 33 was SURRENDER, 37-7850, and a custom picture sleeve was included. Same with the next four singles, the final one being GOOD LUCK CHARM. Both the record and the sleeve for that record, 37-7992, are among the rarest of all commercially issued Elvis Presley records in the states (as are, to a slightly lesser degree, the other four).

I actually never A/B-ed two of them although my money would be on the 45 to sound superior to the 33. Anyone ever compare them?

NEAL

XL-2Offline
Post subject: Elvis RCA Victor Inner Sleeves  PostPosted: Aug 17, 2006 - 11:30 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Great thread I have often wondered about my sleeves so I could put them in with the proper records.

LPMAN could you please tell me where on the sleeves the following are located? I don't see anything to identify these lines on my sleeves.

1. Best Sellers Line
2. Best Selling Pop LP Line
3. Popular Line

And on the Generic White x Nipper & Logo - is that an all white, plain, sleeve with only the Nipper dog and RCA logo on it? Guess I don't have that one.

Thanks.

Jump to: