The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ChadFromCanadaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 06, 2013 - 07:35 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Not sure if many drive-ins were left in the mid-80s, but I finally saw Return of the Living Dead recently on AMC in their Halloween movie marathons they had going on (unfortunately censored as all their stuff seems to be). Definitely a cheesy but worthwhile zombie flick, great punk/deathrock soundtrack and an absolutely killer ending (reminds me a bit of the ending to the recent "The Crazies" in tone). Fun fact: this was the movie that popularized the notion that zombies wanted brains, and not just any human flesh.

Reply with quote Back to top
ShadySamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 08, 2013 - 04:58 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

ChadFromCanada wrote:
I finally saw Return of the Living Dead

love that flick! And miss those drive-in nights (circa 1985 they packed it up/called it 'a day' down here)... Sad

Bush Monkey
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 09, 2013 - 12:05 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I finally got this George Romero interview when he says, "Iíve never had a zombie eat a brain! I donít know where that comes from. Who says zombies eat brains?"

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/oscars/2010/05/george-romero

Return isn't a George Romero film...my duh. I was thinking it was a Romero film.

ChadFromCanadaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 09, 2013 - 12:18 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Bush Monkey wrote:
ChadFromCanada wrote:
...Fun fact: this was the movie that popularized the notion that zombies wanted brains, and not just any human flesh.
This is why I don't get this interview with George Romero I read some time back.

George goes, "Iíve never had a zombie eat a brain! I donít know where that comes from. Who says zombies eat brains?"

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/oscars/2010/05/george-romero

Weird, huh?

The Return of the Living Dead series (~5 movies total I think) is a separate franchise. From wikipedia:

Quote:
The film has its roots in a novel by John Russo also called Return of the Living Dead. When Russo and George A. Romero parted ways after their 1968 film Night of the Living Dead, Russo retained the rights to any titles featuring Living Dead while Romero was free to create his own series of sequels, beginning with Dawn of the Dead

And even though Romero's movies all have "of the Dead" at the end, not all of them follow the same idea as the first two (where hell is full and therefore everyone who dies comes back, not just people who have died from being bitten and getting infected) - at least from what I remember. I know Land of the Dead with Dennis Hopper, John Lequizamo and Simon Baker does follow the "hell is full" notion. Or maybe I'm just thinking of the excellent Dawn remake which he probably produced but it wasn't actually his movie (I think that was both "fast zombies" and infection only resurrection).

Edit: Oops, looks like you got it before I replied Very Happy

---

When I was at the thrift last night, I decided to check out the VHS section and pulled out a copy of Krull (1983). Looks like an interesting, cheesy sci fi movie.

Bush Monkey
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 09, 2013 - 12:30 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

ChadFromCanada wrote:
...Edit: Oops, looks like you got it before I replied Very Happy
LOL, yes, I did finally get it and changed my post.
I had always assumed it was a Romero film. And what's worst...I have the DVD. Laughing

ChadFromCanadaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 09, 2013 - 12:51 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Bush Monkey wrote:
ChadFromCanada wrote:
...Edit: Oops, looks like you got it before I replied Very Happy
LOL, yes, I did finally get it and changed my post.
I had always assumed it was a Romero film. And what's worst...I have the DVD. Laughing

I picked up another older zombie movie recently on DVD; Night of the Comet (love finding somewhat obscure movies on DVD at the thrifts). Haven't had the chance to watch it yet but it has the gorgeous Catherine Mary Stewart from The Last Starfighter.

ShadySamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 14, 2013 - 05:55 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

ChadFromCanada wrote:
I picked up another older zombie movie recently on DVD; Night of the Comet

Mrs Shady loves that one too! Smile

RidinTheWind
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 07, 2014 - 02:33 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

This was on the other day, Beach Girls and the Monster, certainly not a classic and kind of schlocky, but the surf instrumentals were pretty decent.

Then, there's the bikini babes! For some reason, the girls back then look better. I don't know what it is, maybe the styles back then made them look better, or maybe they took more of an interest in their appearance, or maybe it's just that I was a teen back then and that set the preference.

ShadySamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2014 - 11:32 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

RidinTheWind wrote:
Beach Girls and the Monster
the bikini babes! For some reason, the girls back then look better. I don't know what it is...

Their curves were mostly natural back then, and not bought in a doctor's office...

RidinTheWind
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2014 - 02:06 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

ShadySam wrote:
RidinTheWind wrote:
Beach Girls and the Monster
the bikini babes! For some reason, the girls back then look better. I don't know what it is...

Their curves were mostly natural back then, and not bought in a doctor's office...

Ah yes, artificial ingredients. Maybe, chicks should have stickers on them like on packaged food listing the ingredients.

Watched a DVD with 4 movies: Time Travelers, The Man From Planet X, Beyond the Time Barrier, and The Angry Red Planet.

I think the one thing they all had in common was a low budget, but still enjoyable! The Man From Planet X had a good story and a moody atmosphere, Time Travelers had a good ending, and Angry Red certainly has to be in the top list for weirdo monsters, the bat spider and the amoeba!

I saw Beyond the Time Barrier as a kid, remembered a lot of it, but always thought the guy should have aged going forward and not coming back!

Jump to: