The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Why Do You Collect Records?
OBSESSION - No specific reason. I must collect.
15%
 15%  [ 25 ]
MUSIC - I love listening to the records.
64%
 64%  [ 102 ]
ARTWORK - Something about the artwork or design.
3%
 3%  [ 5 ]
COMPLETIST - I want to complete the label/artist catalog.
3%
 3%  [ 5 ]
MONEY - It's my business. I sell them
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
OTHER - Not listed here. See my reply below.
12%
 12%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 158

sunrayOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 05, 2007 - 08:24 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Itís my obsessive compulsive behavior coming out. I really donít know why for sure. I do know I like buying, planning, researching, discovering probably just as much if not more then listening to the music. It is like most hobbies, a way to swallow life, so I chose obsession.

Reply with quote Back to top
drfrankmusicOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 05, 2007 - 09:00 PM
Level 1
Level 1

I am a geek!

torehOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 05, 2007 - 09:18 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

drfrankmusic wrote:
I am a geek!

HA! Welcome to the RCG, drfrank!!! I guess that you are frank, also. (about being a geek???) Laughing Just kidding....Have fun!

Badger Badger Badger

ponchofOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2008 - 09:31 PM
Level 2
Level 2

After reading the majority of the posts, I see I'm like everybody else. I started listening to my parents Stones, Humble Pie, and Moody Blues back in the 70's. I came into my own soon after with my own rock choices; I graduated to my own style w/ punk in late 70's early 80's. After joining the Navy records were really not an optopn (casettes then CD's) now I am back to records. Unfortunately most of my old records are gone. The covers are more art like than a cliping from a magazine like tapes and cd's. I enjoy putting a few covers on the wall as art or how I feel, you really can't do that with the other formats. Just like when I was younger the sleeves were on my wall. I also enjoy the hunt of finding an Agent Orange record I use to own or taking a risk and buying a Bill Monroe record because it looked cool (sound s good too, who would have thought Bluegrass). Also family and friends are more likely to give me records they received than they would with cd's ( recently received over 600 Jazz from the 70's and 80's, which I proballly would never buy, GREAT stuff). Inregards to the money I have ran into the 4 or 5 "collectors " in the area, but they are just in for the money, (I really enjoy when there eyes widen when I tell the I picked up certain records that I just thought was cool for a dollar or less. So to answer the POLL i guess all but the money. Thanks for listening

ericrice0
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 15, 2008 - 01:10 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Several reasons:

1. Lots of stuff on vinyl isn't available on CD, plus records at a buck a piece (or often even less opens many avenues for listening that would cost a lot more if purchased on CD or iTunes).

2. Everybody needs a hobby and unlike snowboarding I don't have to diet for six months beforehand to fit into my snow pants.

3. As Woody Allen said, "fills gaps."

4. So I'll have something to talk about on the RCG web site.

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 26, 2008 - 09:10 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I have collected records since 1956 because when I set that needle down on that record I am unlocking something from the past, something that brings back pleasant memories of a happier time, something that will never be duplicated, and something that only a select few people can do--the ones that own this record--the record collector. There is something about seeing that original pressing record spin on the turntable that makes all your present problems seem distant. That spinning record transports me back to the 1950's, the time period when we had the best music, the best cars, and the most beautiful women.

thatmusicguyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 16, 2008 - 10:53 AM
Level 4
Level 4

I answered "OTHER" as really all the above options were relevant... I love collecting, I Love Music... I want to complete my full catalogue for a number of my favourite artists... etc.

RidinTheWind
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 18, 2008 - 12:10 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

For some reason, I'm not given an option to cast a vote. Was a time limit put on the poll?

Anyway, I collect for the music!

Though, I do know at least two collectors who rarely or never play their records because they are afraid of putting a mark or wear on them. That's kind of like being a miser, for a miser accumulates money but doesn't spend it for enjoyment. Records were meant to be played and enjoyed!

lamasOffline
Post subject: RE: all of the above  PostPosted: Feb 05, 2009 - 01:35 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Location: Warwick ( 8 miles NE of Stratford Upon Avon ) England
Been collecting for 50 years CAN'T STOP ! LOVE playing them - I call it my manual Juke Box - I put on one 45 whilst " putting my hand in "
for the next

jmakOffline
Post subject: RE: all of the above  PostPosted: Feb 05, 2009 - 07:12 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

There's something about hearing that needle touch down that gives me a thrill.

Jump to: