The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
saintpezer
Post subject: FAQ: Record Cleaning Machines  PostPosted: Aug 31, 2003 - 03:00 PM
Former Member

Please excuse my ignorance but I am new to collecting records... again. Which is better, a vac system or the Disc Doctor method? I am very confused on the pros and cons of both and would like very much some input and help Confused .

Cheers--

Reply with quote Back to top
neworderOffline
Post subject: Question on record preserver  PostPosted: Feb 29, 2004 - 12:56 AM
Level 1
Level 1

I'm new to the fabulous world of vinyl records and I wanted to know what is the best way to keep my records playing great. Im 17 years old and really can't afford to be buying alot of expensive cleaners. I bought Gruv Glide and that works fine, any other suggestions? I also want to know about LAST's record preserver. Is it really worth getting? Are there any really great benefits to it?

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
SpartacusOffline
Post subject: Re: Question on record preserver  PostPosted: Mar 30, 2004 - 08:13 PM
Level 1
Level 1

neworder wrote:
I'm new to the fabulous world of vinyl records and I wanted to know what is the best way to keep my records playing great. Im 17 years old and really can't afford to be buying alot of expensive cleaners. I bought Gruv Glide and that works fine, any other suggestions? I also want to know about LAST's record preserver. Is it really worth getting? Are there any really great benefits to it?

Neworder, I have the same questions. Not quite as spry as you, but I am financially constrained... frankly that is one of the attractions of vinyl for me... low cost per song. Cleaning is important for garage sale discs and I am looking for a "system".

I have looked at the Disc Doctor's website, and he references the use of his solutions with record cleaning machines, but does not recommend machines because the vacuum systems are not as thorough as he would like and because the brushes are in his opinion not as effective as his modified paintbrush manual approach.

It seems to me that the Disc Doctor system is the least cost approach (per disc compared to other commercial cleaning fluids), and that if the collection is not too large, that washing by hand on the kitchen table, and drying in the dishrack should produce excellent results on a budget. That his solutions are alcohol free should result in less cleaning fluid residue being left on the disc. This last point is compelling.

The Disc Doctor references using his fluid on a commercially available cleaning machine, he also inidcates that the entire record playing surface should be supported during the cleaning process... nitty gritty cleaning machines do not appear to do this... but VPI cleaning machines do. So, it seems that the Disc Doctor system could support a large collection in combination with a VPI cleaning machine.

For my small collection of about 200 discs I am inclined to buy the disc doctor's fluids and employ his manual cleaning approach. I have a Decca carbon fiber brush next to the turntable for dry brushing before and after play. Anyone in this forum have actual experience with these wet cleaning products? Also, specific brands of inner record sleves to keep these things clean and static free after I clean em up?

As I understand it the challenge is not just to get them clean, but to keep them that way.

GraemeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 31, 2004 - 01:55 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

First, let's get one thing straight. It's perfectly possible to manually clean records. A machine (vacuum or otherwise) is not an essential requirement, it merely serves to speed the process up and introduces a degree of repeatability to the process. Speed is useful if you have a lot of records and repeatability is essential if you intend to investigate the differences between the various cleaning solutions available, since it takes out a major variable in the experiment.

If you are looking at machines, these fall into two very distinct categories. Those, such as the Nitty Gritty, which vacuum the whole surface of the record at one pass and those which (effectively) vacuum a small area with a traversing head (the Keith Monks and Loricraft machines are like this). Without any doubt, the latter are better - but at a very high price. A price unlikely to be met by the average record collector, which is why you don't hear them mentioned much on forums such as this one.

Manual cleaning methods vary, but there's nothing basically wrong with the method outlined by Duane Goldman on his 'Disc Doctor' site. Whether or not you choose to use his chemistry and brushes is up to you, but many people have reported excellent results (using both manual and machine cleaning) and - although expensive, compared to some others - they really work out quite cheap on a per disc basis.

There's no doubt that there are a number of 'home brewed' solutions which are more likely to cause damage than to clean your records. That's not to say there aren't some good ones as well, but it really is a case of caveat emptor and you'd be better to stick with a recognised product than to risk your valuable collection using something with no track record.

Personally, I avoid any product which is intended to leave something behind (such as Gruv Glide). To me, the very idea of cleaning a record, only to then 'dirty' it up again, seems a little ridiculous.

One thing worth mentioning is that there is little point in cleaning a record only to put it back into a dirty inner sleeve. Always replace with a new sleeve after cleaning, preferably one with a plastic inner lining which will not shed paper fibres all over your newly cleaned record. Also, always place the inner sleeve such that its opening is at 90 to the outer. This will stop the ingress of a lot of dirt and muck while the record is not in use.

I'm fortunate enough to own a Keith Monks machine. Using this in combination with cleaning solutions developed by myself (somewhat more empirically than Duane developed his) and always replacing the inner sleeve, I find that a carbon fibre brush (before and after playing) is all that it required to keep a record in good condition for many years.

NitroOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 19, 2004 - 08:14 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Do share your formula with us, Graeme

GraemeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 20, 2004 - 12:41 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Nitro wrote:
Do share your formula with us, Graeme

Sorry, I can't do that for commercial reasons.

torehOffline
Post subject: Does Anyone Here Own a Nitty Gritty...  PostPosted: Sep 20, 2004 - 08:14 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I'm wondering if anyone here has a Nitty Gritty Mini- Pro Record Cleaner?? Doing some research on this because I'm buying one soon and want to know whether owners of these are satisfied with them. The model that I'm looking at is around $1,000 and sure would like to hear from those of you that own one and are happy with it, or not.
Please comment on any model of the Nitty-Gritty if you are an owner of one or know someone who is. Thank you! ...toreh

torehOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 20, 2004 - 09:20 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Thanks for your input...I noticed that they charge like $60 a gallon for their cleaning solution...do you use that or can you make your on that's suitable for this machine?
Also, is your semi-automatic...what features do you have on it that you like or dislike...I'm thinking of the fully automatic to save time as it does both sides at once...but don't know if it's worth that price...can you advise me a little on features, etc.?? thanks. ...toreh

torehOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 20, 2004 - 09:47 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Thanks alot! You have been very helpful!!!!
Have you had to make any repairs or have it serviced for anything major or minor during these 10 years you've used it? Which model would yours compare to on the website that you gave me?
If you've used yours for 10 years, and you're happy with it, that's sure good to know...i just don't want to get something like this without strong recommendations first. ...toreh

torehOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 20, 2004 - 10:07 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

seems like that may be a good alternative to the mini-pro! thanks for all your input...much appreciated!! ...toreh

Jump to: