The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PerisphereOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 22, 2011 - 10:55 AM
Level 2
Level 2

I've not seen mention of the Philco 45 adapter introduced in 1950 used with at least their M22 changer (Philco's first three speed automatic changer). With the light weight of 45s slippage of the records was a concern to the Philco engineers, and they implemented a 'record driver' that was only to be used when playing a stack of 45s. This was a small steel disc with a finger that projected upward, that was placed over the spindle and onto the turntable just before loading a stack of 45s for play. The finger engaged one of the holes in these adapters whilst the records were playing.

Reply with quote Back to top
B_big.Offline
14 Post subject: Changers destroying picture sleeves  PostPosted: Nov 22, 2011 - 12:34 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( Cool
    Perisphere, first of all, Welcome to the 'Guild', every newbie is appreciated.

Thanks for the interesting information about Philco's 'M22 changer', I'm from Germany/Europe and haven't been aware of existence of this feature yet. There have been different ideas to prevent slipping records while using a changer, the worst is the burling circle next to the label's edge. Many picture sleeves have been damaged through these kind of recordings, showing considerable 'ring-wear' or even worse, small holes. I haven't used a changer after I became 15 years!

Enjoy our topics and of course contribute more of these interesting facts.

the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: