The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ValdezOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 09, 2005 - 04:15 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Speaking of Grommet, I saw Curse of the Were-rabbit with my kids last night... great movie!

Reply with quote Back to top
The King Of Palm SpringsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 09, 2005 - 04:25 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Those rivets can mess up the jackets it is stored next to. Nothing close to the damage a zipper on a cover can do tho'! Friggin'Stones!

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 09, 2005 - 08:22 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

ANNALOOG

Yes, but. The rivet is part of the package. It was done then for a reason. It is part of the record's history. This may sound trivial/petty/daffy, but I also don't recommend to anyone that they peel the "trunk slick" off of the "butcher slick". I sorta see this the same way. . .

NEAL

annaloogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 09, 2005 - 11:24 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

The King Of Palm Springs wrote:
Those rivets can mess up the jackets it is stored next to. Nothing close to the damage a zipper on a cover can do tho'! Friggin'Stones!

On second thought, left to themselves, the grommets can also prevent the easy and orderly removal of the inner sleeve, leading to the heartbreak of shredded paper for those with a low threshold of frustration.

Neal ~ I see your point, but respectfully disagree. By your logic, every index sticker, every name scrawled in magic marker, every greasy thumbprint (or booger, FTM Wink) are part of the records' "history", but they detract from the appeal. Unlike the trunk slick pasteover, the cutout grommet* was not a part of the record as issued, and is thus as dispensable as any other eradicable flaw.

--------------------
* As opposed to, for example, the grommet that attached the spinner to the cover of Led Zeppelin III.

jackcaptureOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 10, 2005 - 09:14 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Quote:
Well from what Ive read and seen, the cut outs are promotional copies. They were ment for promotional use, like radio or club use. Some promo records have songs that the store bought copies dont come with. Some have the same songs. Some claim to belong to the record company and not for sale, even tho the record company never wants them back.

Scott, this is true of some cut outs, but not all. I too enjoyed shopping the cut out bins in record stores and got a lot of great records that way, and these were definitely done to move out overstock. There were some 70s and 80s records, as I recall, that were designate promos with a large hole, but from what I have seen these were all designate promos, the same as stock copies, but sometimes with a promo stamp too, as you noted.

soib45Offline
Post subject: guilty guilty guilty  PostPosted: Sep 26, 2009 - 06:58 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

For the latter: During the late 70s and into the 80s, jackets had a portion of the upper right corner removed. It could be tiny (and most of us could live with it for the price) to downright sadistic (a huge chunk would appear bitten off... )

Guilty as charged...When I worked for Servor(london records here in NJ) in the 70's in college,man I can still remember chucking those albums into the table saw.When endlessssssssssssss pallet after pallet was there to cut corners.......In my case that was literal.JUST what I did..Sheer volume to cut made for insane boredom quick,and my friend and I would find uhh creative ways to throw them into the saw..The Stones Metamorphosis comes to mind.Must have sawed off 10k albums corners. Twenty five albums to the case if I remember

KentTOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 20, 2009 - 08:24 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Very often 25% less is fair value for cut-out copies.

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 04, 2011 - 08:14 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

In some cases (such as the previously mentioned Tori Amos example), it can be difficult to find a particular title without a cut out marking. If I recall correctly, it's easier to find a copy of "Planet Waves" by Bob Dylan and the Band with a cut corner than it is to find one with a completely intact cover.

It probably ain't that rare, but most of the ones I've seen have a cut corner.

malhowardOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 06, 2011 - 07:07 AM
Level 4
Level 4

Wow, I'm a newbie to the vinyl collecting game- this has taught me a lot! I have been selling inherited LPs with cutouts on Ebay, and wondered why on Earth Uncle B would have lopped off a corner! I have sold several that way, with an honest description, but since I don't really know what I hae I don't know how much it has cost me... THANKS for all the info!
M.

Follow us on http://www.Twitter.com/oldtimevinyl

AbeatlessnutOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 19, 2011 - 07:36 AM
Level 5
Level 5

Let me throw a monkey wrench into the conversation; How about a original 2nd State Beatles "Yesterday and Today" butcher cover that had a saw corner?( Yes, I know that none would actually have come that way, but what if a copy did come up hypothetically?)What would be your opinion then?

Jump to: