The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
namralosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 19, 2011 - 09:04 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

A clipped corner would always affect the value negatively.

Reply with quote Back to top
zb420Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 28, 2012 - 04:26 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I know this is such an old thread, but I wanted to add, when I worked at WB/Reprise, we refereed to an album that was no longer being pressed as a cut out.
I have a record here in front of me, Scott McKinzie "Stained Glass Morning" that has both a hole punched in it and a Ode Records Promo Label.
This leads me to believe it couldn't have been available for sale in a retail store?
That being said, doesn't that make sense to you?

zb420Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 09, 2012 - 04:49 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

nealumphred wrote:
FELLOW GUILDERS

In the late '60s, Warner/Reprise "shot" a metal rivet into the upper left corner of deleted LPs. Awful then; somewhat nostalgic now. And much bettter than what was to come. . .

Have you ever seen one with this punched in it? I was there (WB/Reprise) in '69. I was in shipping and never say one lp with this in it.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning you just wondering why I never say one.
We sure didn't have a tool that would do that in the shipping room.

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 11, 2012 - 12:53 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

ZB

I dug this post up from eight years ago (2004) here at the Guild. Hope you enjoy:

ALBUMS WITH PROMO HOLES: In the '70s, several companies initiated cost-cutting measures by not pressing white label promos. They simply designated stock copies as promotional by stamping or embossing "Not For Sale" etc. onto the jackets. Other companies punched holes into or clipped the corners of the jackets. So, yes, hole-punched jackets can mean just such a "promo".

Are they worth a premium: Well, to address that, may I digress with a personal anecdote? Thank you: whilst attending a show in Los Angeles in 1980, I encountered a dealer offering for sale then-current pressings of Beatles Capitol albums. Each was still-sealed and carried a $20 asking price. I was baffled: the very same records could be found around the corner at Tower for a third of that price.

When I inquired as to why, he pointed to the perfectly round hole, dime-sized holes punched in the upper right corner of each jacket. "See", he said. "Promo holes." I immediately entertained the notion of buying boxes of Beatles albums and a nice hole-puncher and going into business for myself. . .

Hope this helps a wee bit,

NEAL

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 11, 2012 - 08:12 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

ZB

I grew up and bought the first few thousand of my LPs in Pennsylvania in the /60s and /70s.

I have had many, many mono Warner/Reprise albums with that metal piece drilled/shot/injected/whatever into thew upper left corner of the jacket.

I stress my state of purchase as that may have been an East Coast variation on cutting out a record that did not show up on the West Coast . . .

NEAL

PS: This wee post is dedicated, with great affection and a spoonful of me sparkling w*t, to fellow Guilder and mod member, annaloog!

RidinTheWind
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 12, 2012 - 11:48 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I have a few Petula Clark albums with the metal piece, also bought in Pennsylvania.

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 13, 2012 - 06:41 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

RIDINTHWIND

Given Pennsylvania's terrain, I am surprised that the little rivet wasn't made from anthracite coal. It would last just as long as metal and, in a cold winter, it could always be burned as fuel . .

NEAL

PS: Would you call that little metal circle a rivet? or something else?

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 13, 2012 - 06:43 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

BOYO

The inclusion of the rivet Ridinthewind and I are discussing would also require mentioning in any attempt to sell such an album and technically it would lower the value. This despite the fact that it might ENHANCE the value for someone like me as it would have a certain nostalgic flair . . .

NEAL

annaloogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 13, 2012 - 07:15 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

nealumphred wrote:
... PS: Would you call that little metal circle a rivet? or something else?
I call it a "grommet" (it's like an eyelet) ... a rivet ordinarily doesn't have a hole through it.

BTW, during the early 1970s, I used to trawl through the cutout bins at local chain stores like Woolworth/Woolco, Kresge, W.T. Grant, et al. As I recall I noticed the 'brass' grommet fastened to covers of late-1960s titles issued by both Warner/Reprise and Elektra (but oddly, not Atlantic/ATCO).

ChadFromCanadaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 13, 2012 - 11:12 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Just out of curiosity, what would be the approximate diameter on these grommets? I'm thinking really small (1/8" or so), nothing near the size of something on a tarp, right? Or would they be about the size of a punch hole anyway (the hole I mean, meaning the grommet itself would extend further)?.

Jump to: