The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
GraemeOffline
Post subject: RE: some stuff I have learned about the vinyl to CD thing  PostPosted: Jul 01, 2010 - 08:31 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Quote:

Kick it off if you don't like it Graeme:

I don't have a problem with people advertising their wares, as long as they are also helpful and not just out and out promo artists.

Actually, I've downloaded it myself for evaluation. To be honest, I doubt very much if it is better (or even as good) as my normal core sodtware for this type of work, but I have a ton of stuff that I use on odd occasions because it does one job particularly well and maybe I'll find a feature in yours that will be useful to me.

Reply with quote Back to top
software_personOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: some stuff I have learned about the vinyl to CD thin  PostPosted: Jul 02, 2010 - 04:04 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Graeme wrote:
I don't have a problem with people advertising their wares, as long as they are also helpful and not just out and out promo artists.

Good. Thanks for making that clear.

Graeme wrote:
Actually, I've downloaded it myself for evaluation. To be honest, I doubt very much if it is better (or even as good) as my normal core sodtware for this type of work, but I have a ton of stuff that I use on odd occasions because it does one job particularly well and maybe I'll find a feature in yours that will be useful to me.

Try the declicker. A lot of work went into it. And have a play with it generally if you can find a bit of time, I'd like to hear what you do and don't like about it. The idea is that you only have to step outside VinylStudio if you want to do something a bit unusual. I've tried to put in there everything you need for day-to-day use, including a bit of 'collection management' (although that area is still rather weak and is next-up for a bit of TLC).

Regards,

Paul Sanders
http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk

stacyellenkOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: some stuff I have learned about the vinyl to CD thin  PostPosted: Jul 02, 2010 - 08:54 AM
Level 1
Level 1

software_person wrote:

Try the declicker. A lot of work went into it. And have a play with it generally if you can find a bit of time, I'd like to hear what you do and don't like about it. The idea is that you only have to step outside VinylStudio if you want to do something a bit unusual. I've tried to put in there everything you need for day-to-day use, including a bit of 'collection management' (although that area is still rather weak and is next-up for a bit of TLC).

Regards,

Paul Sanders

Does the software take away the "humming" noise that comes from records sometimes?

With my current workflow I am recording with Final Vinyl and then cutting the tracks with Audacity, but I can't seem to find a way to remove that noise without affecting the overall sound of the recording.

software_personOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: some stuff I have learned about the vinyl to CD  PostPosted: Jul 02, 2010 - 10:41 AM
Level 2
Level 2

It will certainly try - there is a hum filter and a hiss filter, both of which might have some application in a case like this - but the first port of call is to try to find out where the noise is coming from. If it's mains hum it might be a loose signal cable, faulty earthing of the turntable or an earth loop. If you're using a USB turntable or preamp, it might also be picking up noise from the USB cable. Changing or re-routing this cable can help.

If you like you can email me a short extract (about 30 seconds) and I will let you know what I make of it. If the extract includes a section that is just background noise (no music) then I can try the hiss filter on it and send you back the cleaned up result. It's best to send the file in MP3 format to keep the file size down and you can send it to:

p DOT sanders AT alpinesoft DOT co DOT uk

Regards,

Paul Sanders

stacyellenkOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: some stuff I have learned about the vinyl to CD  PostPosted: Jul 02, 2010 - 06:50 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Just want to shout out that I love this software - I've been playing with it for the past couple of hours. It is really helpful to my workflow, and takes away a lot of the manual work of cutting and labeling of the tracks - I really like the automation of finding the names of the songs with minimal work on my part. What is also really super helpful to me here is the way the software helps me set my levels so that I have a guide as to how loud the music should be. And also now that I'm using the usb port as opposed the line port, that is making a world of difference as well:) Major thumbs up here!

software_personOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: some stuff I have learned about the vinyl to CD  PostPosted: Jul 02, 2010 - 07:09 PM
Level 2
Level 2

I didn't troll that, I promise! She's a real person.

We have, fingers crossed, sorted out Stacy's hardware problems by email. One problem - apart from the hum - was that her recordings were getting clipped because, instead of reducing the input gain via the manual control on her preamp, she was using the recording level slider in Final Vinyl. Because this slider is implemented in software, all it does is scale down the digitised signal within the computer.

But, in the case of a USB preamp, clipping occurs before the signal ever enters the computer so adjusting the slider is futile. Better to have no slider at all in such cases (which is what we do). Then at least any clipping problems are not hidden from you. I really don't like the way many of these USB devices handle input levels, but at least in this case there is a knob you can turn. Many don't have even this. Ion turntables had one, at one time, but they have removed it from recent models (sigh).

Moderator might want to move the last few posts to a separate thread, I guess.

Regards,

Paul Sanders

GraemeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: some stuff I have learned about the vinyl to CD  PostPosted: Jul 03, 2010 - 11:18 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

No - it can stay here. It's very relevant to the thread.

GraemeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: some stuff I have learned about the vinyl to CD thin  PostPosted: Jul 03, 2010 - 11:22 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

software_person wrote:

Try the declicker. A lot of work went into it. And have a play with it generally if you can find a bit of time, I'd like to hear what you do and don't like about it. The idea is that you only have to step outside VinylStudio if you want to do something a bit unusual.

I do this work professionally, so most of what I see seems to fall into the 'unusual' bracket Sad .

I'm always interested in declickers - anything that does some of the work without any manual intervention is always worth a look at.

I will take serious look, but it's on the back burner until I can free up some time.

software_personOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: some stuff I have learned about the vinyl to CD  PostPosted: Jul 03, 2010 - 12:54 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Fair enough, there's no rush. I'd be interested to know what qualifies as unusual, based on what Goldwave can do, say. VinylStudio is short on special effects such as reverb, but I suspect that's not what you mean, and no doubt you have high-end tools available to you that can do a better audio cleanup job than we can for $30. I always like to know how we stack up though.

VinylStudio's declicker has both a scanner (which handles most of the grunt work and aims to be as kind as possible to the music itself) and the ability to repair clicks manually when it misses one (i.e. you tell VinylStudio where the click is and VinylStudio repairs it for you).

There's also something called 'Patch' which is good for 'scrunches', but patches have to be inserted by hand. There's an example of this on our 'samples' page (sample 7): http://www.alpinesoft.co.uk/VinylStudio/samples.aspx

Listening to it now on headphones, it sounds like it could use a little more work and there's no denying that it gets labour-intensive when the source material is that bad.

Another thing people have asked for which we don't yet have is a Spectral View which might help in locating the odd, hard-to-pin-down click. Until I do some experiments, I'm not sure how important this feature might be.

Anyway, enough ear-bending already. Click repair is more of an art than a science. Bye for now.

Regards,

Paul Sanders

GraemeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: some stuff I have learned about the vinyl to CD  PostPosted: Jul 03, 2010 - 07:15 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Quote:

I'd be interested to know what qualifies as unusual, based on what Goldwave can do, say.

Perhaps "unusual" was the wrong word. I do work for commercial organisations, for re-release of older material and the like. Their demands are far in excess of the average punter when it comes to the finished article and little things that would not matter to most people (many would never even hear them) become important. As a consequence of this demand, I do a *lot* of manual work and I'm always looking to cut some of that down without compromising the qulity.

Goldwave, I've never really liked (although I do own a copy - actually, I seem to have almost every bit of restoration software you could name, other than CEDAR).

For de-clicking, I usually work in Adobe Audition (which has a great tool, but requires a lot of work to really understand it and make it fly properly). The Waves X-Click and X-Crackle tools are also very useful, but a little pricey for amateur use. Similarly the Algorithmix software is good, if a little expensive. The one cheap de-clicker that has impressed me was AFDeClick, excellent results for the price.

Jump to: