The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ImpactOffline
Post subject: Your first punk band  PostPosted: Mar 01, 2006 - 08:46 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Who was the first punk band you listened to? What got you into punk ?

In the 5th grade (im 19 now), I bought Punk in Drublic by NOFX at best buy. That was my first punk CD, and I loved it ever since. After that, I went to various shows and eventually expanded my verizons. From them, I listned to alot of early 80's LA punk bands, germs, X, Screamers, etc etc, and have became very interested in First gen UK punk bands, such as the slits, raincoats, dead boys, the boys, vibrators, etc etc... Recently, I've been listening to alot of DC hardcore, and anarcho/crust . Now, i'm basically involved listening to many genres of punk, including german and japanese. So, what got you guys into punk? What kinda punk are you listening to right now?

Reply with quote Back to top
Cameron/~Offline
Post subject: RE: Your first punk band  PostPosted: Mar 01, 2006 - 09:29 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

No idea the first I listened to. Was around '83. Crossover times.
There's a college in the area and they played some punk (sometimes still do).
I remember one night a DJ tried to see how many songs featuring the F word he could play (no editing after 10PM).
All I remember from that is GG Allins and the Scumfucs-Drink.Fight.F#ck
Pretty neat at 12 years old.
=)

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: Your first punk band  PostPosted: Mar 01, 2006 - 10:51 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

I think probably the Ramones first LP, released in 1976. Thirty years later I'm still listening to punk!

What got me into punk?

Back in the late 70's, Rock was getting worse and worse. Big 'arena rock' bands, e.g. Foreigner and Journey were overblown, pretentious, and boring. Prog rock was getting stale with bands like Yes and Genesis releasing weaker material and running out of fresh ideas. Disco was the big thing in nightclubs. Elvis had become an overweight drug addict and died of an overdose. So when bands like Ramones, Clash, Sex Pistols hit the airwaves and record stores it was like a big kick in the pants. A return to loud and simple rock, music with an attitude! Punk brought the fun back into rock n roll.

baddogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 01, 2006 - 11:23 PM
Level 4
Level 4

I would say seeing the Ramones in Rock and Roll High School probably did it for me.
I listen to mostly 80s HC.Really like the Finnish/Swedish stuff as well as the U.S bands.Also big on Chrome,Hawkwind type stuff.I throw some 90s stuff in there too, favs are Mudhoney,Monster Magnet...etc.

trainwreckOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 01, 2006 - 11:44 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I used to tape stuff from WMSE in Milwaukee. First tape I remember having had Jim Carroll Band "People Who Died" and some crazy song about "Headbut"...dude being thrown through a windscreen, and other indy songs radio from around 1980. First punk vinyl I can remeber buying is Dead Kennedys In God We Trust.

kirkatron
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 02, 2006 - 03:11 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Not really punk although they were labelled it at the time I saw the Jam live in 1977 at the time of their first LP.
Funnily enough, in line with CactusCowboys comments above I had seen Genesis live a few weeks earlier.

paulsvinylOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 02, 2006 - 08:02 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Nirvana actually got me into punk music. In interviews and articles about the band, they would usually say what bands they were into. Being easily persuaded in my teens by peer pressure, I started listening to bands like Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr., Pavement, Butthole Surfers. Not really all that punk, but they have their moments. I would still say that I am not to deep into punk. I like the loud music rather than the loud vocals and screaming. Seeing SY in concert a handfull of times makes it all worth it. Starting in 1995 headlining Lollapalooza, I have been even more hooked on that type and style of music over anything else... ok, maybe not more that Phish.

pennyannOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 02, 2006 - 06:40 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Shocked

I went to an under 21 club & there was a bad that did covers of punk songs. And I liked them so I checked into the original versions. I couldn't say what came first.

pennyannOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 02, 2006 - 06:43 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Shocked
It was along the lines of Sex Pistols or Ramones, stuff before my time. From there I liked skate type. I had skater friends, it went from Red Hot Chili Peppers to Suicidal Tendencies.

PennFarmsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2006 - 11:43 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hmmmm. 8th grade in the mid 80s. Had to be Dead Milkmen "Eat Your Paisley" and Circle Jerks, "Wonderful." Got 'em on cassette. Sad

Jump to: