The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PantherboyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 20, 2006 - 10:21 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

'Rat Music.....' is a true classic. I discovered some great bands just from that record and the grandaddy of them all: "Let Them Eat Jellybeans".

Alex Harvey

Reply with quote Back to top
CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 20, 2006 - 08:30 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

The mention of "Rat Music" prompted me to pull out 2 various artists LPs in my collection:

Live At The Rat, Rat Records Volume 1, 1976

Boston area bands: Willie Loco Alexander Boom Boom Band, Susan, Third Rail, DMZ, The Real Kids, Thundertrain, Sass, Marc Thor, The Boize, and The Infliktors.

Not really "Punk", its more like local hard rock/garage rock bands.

I also have Rat Music For Rat People Vol. III on the CD Presents, Ltd label, a 1987 release.... yes, it is a vinyl record! Bands include: D.I., Corrosion Of Conformity, Doggie Style, Raw Power, Attitude, Naked Raygun, Verbal Abuse, Mojo Nixon & Skid Roper, White Flag, Sacrilege, Adrenaline O.D., Frontline, and Adolescents.

Great stuff!

jaybugOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 23, 2006 - 01:02 AM
Level 2
Level 2

My first punk bands were The Clash, and SNFU.

In grade ten a friend of mine had a sister that had some Clash records that he recorded for me on cassette tape. The Clash is still one of my favourites.

SNFU were a local band that played at a local night club every few months, we were under age and would sneak in to see them all the time.

KFAOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 25, 2006 - 10:27 AM
Level 5
Level 5

Plastic Man!
Great to hear that - !
My and my other mini's never made it west, we usually headed north to DC or Baltimore. We'd see Phlegm and whatever Dischord band that was available (Minor Threat at the time) Sometimes we'd try the Hampton Roads area. I remember seeing anybody and anybody. Was there a great scene in Roanoke?
KFA

R.TotaleOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 19, 2006 - 10:34 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Well, I'd have to say the first punk record I bought was "Psychotic Reaction" by the Count V - I was only ten at the time, but I heard it on the radio and begged Mom & Dad to buy me the record, which they did and I played it incessantly - I still have it! Moved to Boston in 1977 and saw just about everyone who came through town (which is to say just about everybody - Jam Stranglers Ramones Ubu Heads and on and on) as well as all the local acts whose records go for so much money now, like La Peste, The Girls, Human Sexual Response, Unnatural Axe, etc....

sharky313Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 26, 2006 - 11:54 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Gee I can't remember what band was my first. I liked the Exploited, Almighty Lumberjacks of Death, DK, Scraping Foetus off the wheel, Dayglo abortions, The stiffs, Crucifucks, Husker du, Black flag, Stormtroopers of death, Suicidal tendencies, Misfits, Damned, Dead boys, etc. etc. etc.
Man I wish I would've never gotten rid of most of those albums.

throbbingpuppyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 16, 2006 - 03:27 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Mine would be Dirty Rotten Imbeciles "Dealing with It" and Misfits "evil live".... in about 85-86... I fancied myself as a "thrasher" (don't laugh) as in I listened to Metallica, Celtic Frost, Venom, Sodom, Kreator, Sacrifice etc, etc... so when the crossover thing happened I was blown away by the punk scene because the music had the same energy as the thrashers. Out of that came DK, Bad brains, COC, GBH, Discharge and the list still goes on...

Rafter242Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 11, 2009 - 09:42 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I'm in the same boat as throbbingpuppy, but I started just a few years earlier. Yes, I was familiar with the Ramones and the Sex Pistols etc, but it all changed when I heard the first Suicidal Tendencies album. That's what lead me down the hardcore/underground path. Soon to pick up DRI and the English Dogs and the Dayglo Abortions etc, all the while keeping up with my metal friends and their cutting edge releases.

The 80's were such a great time for music.

and Strappado off of Sacrifice's first LP is a thrash metal classic!

m_ekOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 22, 2009 - 04:08 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

first punk band - would have to actually be a group of mixed punk bands as it was the early 80s and by that time proper punk was over and there were all sorts of punk bands - skate punk, 2nd wave UK stuff, anarcho-punk, industrial, etc.

recall sitting up in a friend's room and we'd just go through this pile of records he had recently been buying - cranked really loud to piss off his mom (they didn't get on)

the artists I recall from that first infamous listening party
Dead Kennedys
Sex Pistols
Agent Orange
Discharge
Crass
The Exploited
Suicidal Tendencies
GBH
The Misfits

then all hopped up on teen angst we got on his moped and "terrorized" the local McDonalds

my first punk LP (if you don't count DEVO) - would have been The Clash "London Calling" (borrowed money from that same friend to buy it)

after that I think I bought Scraping Foetus off the Wheel "Hole" after seeing him perform live (along with a spoken word show from Lydia Lunch)

skeelanerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 24, 2009 - 01:40 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Not sure if I'm the first female to add her two cents, but for me it was Patti Smith!
And what more can I say -- she's the godmother of 'em all.

Jump to: