The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Please select your gender
Male
83%
 83%  [ 206 ]
Female
16%
 16%  [ 41 ]
Total Votes : 247

kat1370Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 06, 2006 - 10:22 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Better late than never, eh??

I'm a girl, too. I've always been into music. I remember my mom taking me to the record store and letting me pick 3 45's for a buck. I had a few LP's but I converted to cassette as a teen. Then I got a job at a record store and was seduced by CD's. When I met my husband he still had a record collection AND a turntable. He had gotten rid of the majority of his collection at one point when he was younger and by the time we met he was looking to rebuild his collection. We would look for vinyl at flea markets and garage sales. Once we started living together and I started really listening to the vinyl I realized what everyone was saying about how vinyl still sounds superior to CD. I had reverted!

I think what toreh said about women not having as much "hunting and gathering" time as men is correct. We women have a far deeper sense of responsiblity and guilt when it comes to domestic affairs and raising children.

I don't see what the big deal is, really. Most collectors are all about the music. Sure, everyone likes to have collectible, valuable titles in their possession. But most actually listen to the records that they buy - whether it costs 50 cents or 500 bucks. What, women aren't allowed to like music??? People that buy for the value and don't listen are dealers, not collectors. It's all about the money for them.

I think sometimes for the collector it's a money thing, too. It's possible to pick up 3 or more LP's for the same price as one CD. I don't really have any of those collectible, valuable titles. Maybe a handful that are worth 50 bucks or so. We have approximately 3,000 LP's and 100 45's. The most money we've ever spent on one title is 30 bucks. We don't buy from dealers or go to record shows. Like I said...it's about the music. My husband is now self employed and doesn't actively look for and listen to vinyl like he used to. It's now my obsession!! Once I found this website, it was all over!

I'm hoping to pass a little of this "tradition" on to my kids. I have 2 girls and they listen to records often. They even have a few titles of their own.

So - I roll my eyes to those who really think that this is a big "issue". Sure, there's a natural battle of the sexes but is it really that big of a deal?? It's music...plain and simple. If women can record music then they can collect it, too. Wink

Reply with quote Back to top
Music Lover
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 07, 2006 - 02:02 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Why are there more men that collect records is a question that I have asked since I started collecting. The huge difference between the number of male and female collectors is something that I have never understood.

Lady_Ono, I know how you felt because I also felt alone in this hobby until I found the Guild. I would always give a big Whoo!! Hoo!! whenever another female would join the Guild. It is nice to see all you new ladies joining…so Whoo!! Hoo!! Welcome to the Guild.

Toreh, I found your comments interesting because I said something very similar to Lisa.

“I started collecting at about 14 years old and started collecting more earnestly in my twenty’s. Then there was a period of time when my hobby had to take a back seat to my busy life. I still listened to my collection but I wasn’t actively collecting because my life was just far too busy …working plus having a family and a home to look after never left me with much time for my hobby. When I started having more free time I returned to my collecting with a vengeance.

I think to build a record collection you have to have time to be out and about. Since women tend to spend more time at home than men do I think that gives men an advantage, because they have more time to commit to the hunt.
When my children were young I never had time to chase down records so I ended up having stay at home hobbies. Most of my hobbies at that time revolved around my home and family. When I had more time for ‘me’ then I got back into collecting.”

All I know is I am happy that there is the ‘Record Collector’s Guild’ as it brings us female record collectors together. Very Happy

Gail

Something about that expression just cracks me up… I can’t even say it without laughing.

cityboy
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 07, 2006 - 01:18 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Music Lover wrote:
I also felt alone in this hobby until I found the Guild.

it's because you don't use deodorant, and on the internet, we can't tell!! Laughing

Music Lover wrote:
I would always give a big Whoo!! Hoo!! whenever another female would join the Guild.

and we know why!! Twisted Evil

I'm not bad, i'm just drawn that way.

PennFarmsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 07, 2006 - 07:09 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

This place is a SAUSAGE FEST!!!

pennyannOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 07, 2006 - 07:21 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Shocked

It has been a great esteem booster. When I see something rare in my hands I am SO proud.
It has also been a great assertiveness training system. At the flea market & thrift stores at first it was easy to move aside but it wasn't long before I began standing my ground & speaking up when a Bozo reaches in the box I'm going through. Wait your turn buddy!

AbeatlessnutOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 09, 2006 - 10:17 PM
Level 5
Level 5

There may only be 17% of ladies on this site( but trust me) you ladies rule it!.....just like dating, marrige...ect...ect... As Alexander The Great once said "I fear no man but my wife!!
David
Abeatlessnut

cityboy
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 09, 2006 - 10:56 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Abeatlessnut wrote:
As Alexander The Great once said "I fear no man but my wife!!

I NEVER said that!!!! Evil or Very Mad

Alex

Laughing Laughing

vinyleerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 11, 2006 - 02:46 PM
Level 3
Level 3

Something totally related to this topic is how women are barely involved in MAKING music. My younger brother and I have a band (a show tonight in fact,, her, ha,) and we both get really stoked when meeting other female artists. They all have very strong/bold personalities. Women like that totally redefine compatability. It's not about the woman being passive and in the background so her "man" can have his space--- it's about teamwork in sharing the relationship on equal terms. A very idealistic notion of course. I think it really boils down to the fact that we men have these two testicals that predispose us with this irritiable, move out o' my way attitude. Of course, living on a farm is probably why I feel so confident in that idea. Why are there so few female rock n' rollers?! We need to meet--- yours truly, Vinyl D. Ear

cityboy
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 11, 2006 - 04:58 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

well, we can take this so much further, why do women not play sports, why don't they ride motorcycles. I dated a girl once that played tennis & rode a motorcycle, now that was great! (but she didn't collect records) Sad

kat1370Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 12, 2006 - 11:12 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

There are plenty of women that play sports and ride motorcycles around here!!! My 14 year old daughter plays soccer. They're playing indoor now and it's kinda brutal!! They work in construction and on road crews. They work on farms and lanscaping crews. Our local news station just did a story on women that play roller derby. I couldn't link to the video but here's their website...

http://www.burningriverrollergirls.com/

Jump to: