The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
pdca
Post subject: Why is a 30 yr old record worth $200 - $300 ?  PostPosted: Jun 25, 2003 - 12:29 PM
Former Member

A record I recorded on a private label 30 years ago is now being sold by collectors in the $200 - $300 range. About 1000 were made, but less than 300 were distributed. So why are people spending so much for it?

Reply with quote Back to top
prancinghorseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 25, 2003 - 01:41 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

pdca,

first thing which comes to my mind is what happened to the other 700 copies ?? Second thing is what kind of record did you press 30 years ago - a real private pressing (an enthusiast pressing of an artist only locally known) or a bootleg of a famous artist ??

One thing which definitely influences the value of a record is the pressing quantity, this is valid for legal pressings and bootlegs!!
The next thing is the historical importance of the record - just to give you an example: To my knowledge there are two records which really started of the entire bootleg hype within rock music - Bob Dylan's "Great White Wonder" and the Rolling Stones "Live'r than you'll ever be". Those two bootlegs usually are worth a little bit extra within collectors circles... BUT it has to be the orginal, so for the Dylan one it has to be the one with the matrix nos GF001, GF002, GF003 and GF004 and for the Stones one on Lurch records label (red labels). The Dylan album with the above mentioned matrix nos is worth at least triple the money than other pressings (maybe with exception of the TMOQ version with the order no 72001 in colored vinyl).
In addition a record is always worth what others are willing to pay for it - just have a look at what happened to the prices of original not peeled "Butcher covers" after soembody found 400 something STONEMINT copies with proven history..

Hope this helps for time being and I am highly interested in the story behind your private pressing

ImaginosOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 26, 2003 - 07:00 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Values of records always suprise me, sometimes you think something worthless and it turns out to be worth hundreds, other times you can't give it away. Here's a few tips on what I look for when pricing old records-

1- Who plays on it, did one of the band go on to join Iron Maiden or the Grateful dead later in his career

2- Is it a collectable genre.

3- Has a more establish act quoted the artist as a source of inspiration.

4- Is it released on a rare or interesting label?

Jump to: