The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: Filing/Cataloging Questions  PostPosted: Dec 08, 2006 - 10:32 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

I'm in the midst of cleaning hundreds of used records and need to organize them better. Here's what I have in mind for categories/grouping LPs:

1. Rock, Pop, Jazz, Blues, Folk, Country etc...
2. Various Artists compilations
3. Classical
4. Christmas
5. Childrens
6. Comedy, Spoken Word, Poetry, Misc.
7. Soundtracks, Movie & TV

As in the past, most of them will be filed alphabetically, by artist. I've decided it can be difficult to determine genre, e.g. Mahavishnu Orchestra (Rock, Jazz, or both?), so category 1 will be wide ranging.

Questions:

I'm not sure how to file Classical records. Alphabetically by composer or by record label & catalog number, in sequence?

Childrens, alphabetically or by record label & cat. number?

At what point do you file a record under "Soundtrack" or with the rest of the artist's records? Example: Peter Gunn and Pink Panther, soundtracks by Mancini. Looking at the cover art, Mancini is the primary artist and figures prominently in the marketing of the record. So which category?

What to do with 78s? Do I keep those big, dusty accordian album folders or toss them away? I'm inclined to toss the generic folders and keep the folders with graphics & artwork that's unique to the records within.

Thanks for any tips or suggestions!

Reply with quote Back to top
ShellackyOffline
Post subject: RE: Filing/Cataloging Questions  PostPosted: Dec 08, 2006 - 11:01 AM
Level 5
Level 5

The best way to file them is whatever way makes it easiest to find what you want when you want it. That will depend a lot on how your own brain is oriented.

For me, grouping by category never worked. Too easy for a record to qualify in two or more categories at once, or not really fit well into any. Then when you want it, you may have to look in several places to find it. Best for me has been to file EVERYTHING by label and catalogue number, then keep the titles and artists in a database. Makes it a cinch to find anything (unless it's mis-filed, which would mess you up no matter what system you use.)

The other advantage is that you automatically get some nice groupings by release date. For fun I just grabbed a bunch of Columbia Lps from the CS 9000 series: Simon & Garfunkel, Johnny Cash, Dave Brubeck, Thelonious Monk, Pete Seger. For me that will be a very satisfying afternoon of listening.

For 78s, if you don't like the generic 10 and 12-sleeve albums, I'll take 'em.

RidinTheWind
Post subject: RE: Filing/Cataloging Questions  PostPosted: Dec 08, 2006 - 12:21 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

How about just numbering the records consecutively and keeping an alphabetical file referenced to the number? If you have a computer, the file can contain indexes for title and artist.That way you don't have to catergorize, shuffle, or alphabetize the records themselves.

fromphilly1247Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 08, 2006 - 12:39 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

CC,

I agree a lot with Shellacky's post. Categories never worked for me. For example, in your post you cite the Mahavishnu Orchestra. Most record stores (and a lot of collectors)would have them in the jazz section but a compelling argument could be made that they were in fact a rock band with some jazz leanings. I spent more time thinking about where things should be filed versus actually listening to the music. Life's just too short.

My filing system is very straightforward--everything is alphabetical, then chronological. The only categories I have are for soundtracks and various artists comps, which are at the end. It just makes life easier and my collection is much easier to navigate.

Good luck.

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/markoneill1968

RakzrOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 08, 2006 - 04:05 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

You have a good handle on it with the catagories you've listed, CC.
Mine is pretty similar. The differences are...that I separated Country Music from the other genres...at my wife's request, and I have Comedy and Misc. as two separate sections.

As to your questions...I believe consistency is the key. If your going with "alphabetical" filing with the bulk of the records, then stick with it for all the catagories. Just my thoughts Smile .

Rob

paulsvinylOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 08, 2006 - 05:19 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Mine are all alpha. It's just easier that way. BUT soundtracks do have a section of thier own at the end.

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 08, 2006 - 06:57 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Thanks for the tips. I'll go alphabetical with all categories.

j0hnblueOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 08, 2006 - 08:31 PM
Level 4
Level 4

they should have dewey decimal, for music.

torehOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 08, 2006 - 09:17 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Cactus...for what it's worth, Classical filed by Composer seems to work better for me. I had them all by Label in numerical order...e.g., RCA 2400-2440, etc. Then, when I'd want to hear something specific, unless I knew the label it was on...I was totally out of luck! Also, I find that keeping specific musical types...like chamber music, violin, piano, etc., together makes it easier to locate...it's a tough one for Classical...there's just so many variables to consider...I have a lot of my collection categorized and alphabetized just as you've described and it works really well for me. Lots of work but it's totally worth it!

mojo525Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 08, 2006 - 10:44 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

CC,
I struggled with the same problem with Classical -- it's kind of a pain in the butt.
I settled on alphabetizing them by conductor/performer. I'd get it in my head that I wanted to hear a specific performance more often than a different piece -- I'd want to hear Szell, or Reiner, or Bernstein more often than, say, a hankering for Bach.

Jump to: