The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
OnTheRecordOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 09, 2006 - 05:22 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Categories definitely work for me. I throw everything I can into Rock/Pop. I break out Jazz, Blues, Folk and Country separately. I don't collect Christmas stuff, but if I have something unusual, it goes into Jazz or Rock, etc. as appropriate - easily found as explained in a minute. My Classical is a category, but I haven't even alphabetized it yet - not that much stuff as I don't listen to Classical on vinyl too much (more on CD). Comedy separate. All of my records are listed in a database. I have fairly current print-outs for most categories. When friends drop over, they can look at the list(s), rather than handling records. The database is for insurance purposes too. I have a large 78 collection which is alpha, but my favorite (acoustic) 78s are stored in various Victrolas around the house - they're not alpha. Rare and valuable 78s are in a special bookcase.

Reply with quote Back to top
mojo525Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 09, 2006 - 07:42 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Just curious -- is there a software that's preferred for creating databases of your collections?
I'm not terribly computer-literate . . . but figuring MS Word is probably NOT the way to go.
Anyone have programs they think work wonderfully for this?

greyhoundOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 09, 2006 - 08:32 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

A simple Excel spreadsheet works fine for me. I alphabetize by artist and have columns for title, label, number, cover grade, vinyl, grade, catalog value and comments. When I add a new acquisition, I just insert a line in the right place and pop in the data. There are more elaborate programs available, but I like to keep it simple.

ShellackyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 09, 2006 - 08:37 AM
Level 5
Level 5

I second the motion for Excel. But if you want to explore other options, go to the Guild home page and look near the bottom of the vertical blue bar on the right: Music Cataloging Software

mojo525Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 09, 2006 - 08:45 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Thanks Shellacky. I'll look.
I want something that can regroup my database with the click of a button -- I want it alphabetical . . . click; I want it arranged by year of release . . . click; I want it organized by label . . . click.
I want to be able to type my entries in randomly, and then click a button to have them organize themselves to my liking.
I want, I want, I want
Peace

vinyl1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 09, 2006 - 09:04 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I once designed a relational database schema for storing record collection data, normalized to third normal form. It was 28 tables, so I never implemented it....and that was just the database. You'd need some kind of user interface, although I'd probably get by typing in SQL on the command line.

The only way it would be worthwhile would be if it was multi-user and offereed over the internet. Each user would just indicate what records he had, and would only have to enter a record if no one else had it.

If I could get a free Oracle license and a team of programmers willing to work for nothing......

mojo525Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 09, 2006 - 09:43 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

. . . I think my head just exploded

Atlantic_CTI_JazzOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 09, 2006 - 10:46 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

mojo525 wrote:
Thanks Shellacky. I'll look.
I want something that can regroup my database with the click of a button -- I want it alphabetical . . . click; I want it arranged by year of release . . . click; I want it organized by label . . . click.
I want to be able to type my entries in randomly, and then click a button to have them organize themselves to my liking.
I want, I want, I want
Peace

You can pretty much do that in Excel. I have a seperate worksheet for Jazz, Soul, Rock/Pop, Library.

Then when I get a new batch of records, I seperate them by genre. From there I just go to one worksheet and add in all the info starting at the bottom row. To sort by artist name, all I do is click on any LP on the artist-title column then click on the AZ(down arrow) on the excel toolbar.

Atlantic Jazz LPs SD1200+
Blue Thumb (LPs or 45s)
CTI/Kudu/Salvation/Metronome LPs (Not CTI 8000s)
Skye LPs
Pride LPs
Stax/Volt/Enterprise/We Produce LPs

annaloogOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Filing/Cataloging Questions  PostPosted: Dec 09, 2006 - 09:48 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Shellacky wrote:
... Then when you want it, you may have to look in several places to find it. Best for me has been to file EVERYTHING by label and catalogue number, then keep the titles and artists in a database. Makes it a cinch to find anything (unless it's mis-filed, which would mess you up no matter what system you use.)

FWIW, I keep everything arranged by format, then by label and number, once I've entered each item into my DB*. Regardless of classification system, though, locating any item is as simple as looking at the "Location" field, which identifies either a numbered box or shelf -- of course, this assumes that records are never misplaced, and "Location" does not contain any typos.

The only real problem with any classification scheme -- except for one in which itemss are filed in chronological order by purchase date -- is that adjustments need to be made from time to time as new acquisitions are stored.

-------------------------
* I presently use Corel's Quattro Pro. Having experienced the nearly-ubiquitous Excel where I work, I find Quattro Pro the superior of the two.

KimmoOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Filing/Cataloging Questions  PostPosted: Dec 10, 2006 - 06:06 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

a tip for to ones whos using excel ...

i keep mine on alphabetical, and using excel to to list them. I have a sheet for every letter. So its easy to click whatever letter. The tip which is neat to use is auto-filter. Go and try it. You can find it from Data -> Filter -Z Auto-filter. Now, you can see every column gets a drop-down arrow. For example, thats neat way to see and list by a certain year, or country of manufacturer ...
also, from drop-down, there´s a good usefull option. Choose "custom" ... you get a new window, and you can set a rule what excel will show. One usefull command is "contains" ...
i use that for list a certain label. ( Auto-filter on, cursor to label column, drop down -> custom -> label contains " Decca" = result i get all where label says Decca ... )

Jump to: