The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
T-BoneOffline
Post subject: Anyone into Gospel music?  PostPosted: Feb 24, 2007 - 01:27 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

There´s one genre of black music that I feel I have neglected for far too long-Gospel. I´ve got a Sam Cooke & the Soul Stirrers album, Rev. CL Franklin and such, but I haven´t really investigate that much.

Did Sister Rosetta Tharpe ever record an album with that raw electric guitar playing that she displayed at f. i. the American Folk Blues Festival? That would be a treat!

Any suggestions on which gospel albums to investigate?

Reply with quote Back to top
CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: Anyone into Gospel music?  PostPosted: Feb 27, 2007 - 12:25 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

I'm no authority on the genre, but I do have one gospel record in particular that is excellent:

Mahalia Jackson - Great Getting' Up Morning
Columbia CL 1343

Former Member
Post subject: RE: Anyone into Gospel music?  PostPosted: Feb 28, 2007 - 10:04 PM

If you ever attend the New Orleans Jazz Fest, make sure you stop by the gospel tent.

You can't miss it. It is the tent with tons of people dancing around...

Global_Dog_ProductionsOffline
Post subject: Re: Anyone into Gospel music?  PostPosted: Feb 28, 2007 - 10:39 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

T-Bone wrote:
There´s one genre of black music that I feel I have neglected for far too long-Gospel. I´ve got a Sam Cooke & the Soul Stirrers album, Rev. CL Franklin and such, but I haven´t really investigate that much.

Any suggestions on which gospel albums to investigate?

No recommendations on albums but don't overlook singles, 78s and 45s. Back before the term R&B existed it was lumped with Gospel under the label "Race" and from the beginning there were many artists that did both.

Aretha Franklin started as a Gospel singer and disappointed her father when she switched. Al Green on the other hand had his first success in R&B and later abandoned it to religion. I've picked up a few Gospel singles just because the two genres are so entwined but found in not my cup of tea.

For Gospel singles you might want to consider checking out Nashboro. One of Nashboro's subsidiary labels was Ace which released some amazing R&B. Likewise many labels released both sometimes segregated them in number sequences. I would recommend Vee Jay, Savoy, Duke (very small), Peacock, Checker, HOB (House of Beauty - Motown) to name just a few.

paulsvinylOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Anyone into Gospel music?  PostPosted: Mar 02, 2007 - 07:41 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

There is a LOT of gospel music out there, and some can be had on the cheap, check your local thrifts, and goodwills.

RARE is a fan. I'm into the real old roots gospel stuff. But I don't really have any on LP.

T-BoneOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 03, 2007 - 01:50 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Thank you all for your suggestions. I´ve ordered an album called "Ain´t That Good News" on Specialty that seems very promising. It features Swan Silvertones, Pilgrim Travelers, Sam Cooke with the Soul Stirrers, the Original Five Blind Boys Of Alabama, Bessie Griffin, the Meditation Singers, the Original Gospel Harmonettes, and the Chosen Gospel Singers. I´ll take it from there.

BenCovingtonOffline
Post subject: Re: Anyone into Gospel music?  PostPosted: Mar 04, 2007 - 03:51 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

T-Bone wrote:

Did Sister Rosetta Tharpe ever record an album with that raw electric guitar playing that she displayed at f. i. the American Folk Blues Festival? That would be a treat!

My Tharpe vinyl collection is pathetically inadequate however I've just skipped played through the following:

Sister Rosetta 1944-49 MCA (Fr) 510 056
Sister Rosetta 1946-49 MCA (Fr) 510 148
Sister Rosetta Gospel Train Mercury (UK) MPL 6259
Sister Rosetta Live In Paris 1964 Frances Concerts FC 118
Sister Rosetta Spirituals & Gospel Songs Live 1966 Flame FV 1001
Sister Rosetta On Tour HMV CLP 1561
Sister Rosetta Sings Hot, Hot, Hot Society SOC 900
Sister Rosetta Jazz Society (10") LP 20
Sister Rosetta Gospel Songs Vol. 2 Brunswick (UK EP) OE 9284
Sister Rosetta MGM (UK EP) EP 746

Only these contain what you describe and then only on one side of each:

"Spirituals & Gospel Songs Live 1966" (Flame FV 1001)
"Live In Paris 1964 Frances Concerts FC 118"

The first is a 1967 release, the B side is a live Paris concert with just her and "raw electric guitar playing" and fantastic vocals. The other is a 1988 release containing one side of an AFBF concert from a live radio broadcast accompanied by Spann, Knowling and Willie Smith.

Should you want to hear her only solo pre-war recordings with steel bodied National (1938-41) in chrnological order you'll have to seek out the first volume of the Document Complete Works (DOCD 5334, 1995).

Beyond that I'm stumped.

T-BoneOffline
Post subject: Re: Anyone into Gospel music?  PostPosted: Mar 04, 2007 - 02:06 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

BenCovington wrote:

My Tharpe vinyl collection is pathetically inadequate
Beyond that I'm stumped.

You should be ashamed of yourself! Is that all you´ve got?!? Very Happy Thanks!

BenCovingtonOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Anyone into Gospel music?  PostPosted: Mar 04, 2007 - 02:35 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

If you like Tharpe then the other artist you should check out is Sister O. M. Terrell who only died a couple of years back. She cut some storming SRT-type sides for Columbia in 1953 and I think came from Charleston, S. Carolina and maybe made more records in later life. Without checking out obits I can't be sure on that.

BenCovingtonOffline
Post subject: Re: Anyone into Gospel music?  PostPosted: Mar 04, 2007 - 02:45 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

BenCovington wrote:
My Tharpe vinyl collection is pathetically inadequate
Beyond that I'm stumped.

T-Bone wrote:
You should be ashamed of yourself! Is that all you´ve got?!? Very Happy Thanks!
Ha, ha. I kick myself for not buying, and enjoying, more SRT when I had the chance. Every vinyl record I own was acquired both in mine and its life time (i.e to demise of format). I've never once paid more than a current retail price of a record and, more often than not, paid less by buying "used" in second hand bins.

Jump to: