The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mackdaddygOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 01, 2009 - 12:55 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

greyhound wrote:
Un-Do is one version, Goo-Gone is another. Both work well. I'd be careful with lighter fluid. While it will remove the sticker, don't rub it on the cover's surface since it will remove the ink as well.

I've been meaning to try Goo Gone as well. One question, though...any chance it will damage the ink, or is it pretty gentle on the lp covers?

Reply with quote Back to top
CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 01, 2009 - 12:59 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

mackdaddyg wrote:
greyhound wrote:
Un-Do is one version, Goo-Gone is another. Both work well. I'd be careful with lighter fluid. While it will remove the sticker, don't rub it on the cover's surface since it will remove the ink as well.

I've been meaning to try Goo Gone as well. One question, though...any chance it will damage the ink, or is it pretty gentle on the lp covers?

I've never had Goo Gone damage or remove ink. It will sometimes leave a darker spot where it soaks into the cardboard a bit, but if the cover is left exposed to air, it will dry out in a few hours.

StephenMacLeodOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 01, 2009 - 07:23 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I used a Goo Gone pen,which would be the same idea as using Goo Gone & a Q Tip,worked great,no residue either,which is great,my wife told me she had a Goo Gone Pen,thanks to my wife and as always everybody who posted on this thread.Thanks all.

greyhoundOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 01, 2009 - 08:19 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

CactusCowboy wrote:
I'd also add that some stickers e.g. older price tags and name/address stickers, use water-based adhesives. A liberal amount of saliva works great for removing this type. Messy but it works.

HA! Glad to see I'm not the only one who uses this method. As Cactus says, messy but it works.

RidinTheWind
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 02, 2009 - 11:50 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Quote:
i often use my wife's hair dryer to warm up the sticker and then slowly pull off.

This has also worked for me, but I find that you have to get at the sticker before it has been on the jacket for too long a time.

Another thing, I notice that removal success is dependent on the thickness of the sticker, the thinner the harder.

However, if you're not sure if the sticker can be removed without damaging the cover, leave it on. Many times, it will eventually fall off by itself.

GasganoFJ60Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 07, 2009 - 06:44 PM
Level 2
Level 2

greyhound wrote:

I use Goo-Gone as well. Get the sticker wet and gently rub off the top layer of paper, then spray it with goo-gone and gently rub the adhesive residue till its gone, then wash it all off.

1993 Cummins 12v Turbo Diesel

Vinyl records and diesel trucks - Sometimes I think I need a 2nd job just for my hobbys.

Im always in the market for Tom Waits =D

platterpawsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 07, 2009 - 07:48 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I noticed "Un-Do" for the first time at a scrapbooking store a couple weeks back, always used Goo-Gone until I read about lighter fluid here on the RCG. Always experiment with the ones that are not your favorites. In my experience the less rubbing the better, it's the soak and peel that has given best results here but when the glue stays on the cover, dabbing/rolling a q-tip across it sometimes works (change to a new q-tip often)

Rafter242Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 19, 2009 - 10:31 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I've been using Goo-Gone for years.

B_big.Offline
20 Post subject: Annoying stickers on covers and sleeves  PostPosted: Nov 10, 2009 - 07:51 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

roefke wrote:
i often use my wife's hair dryer to warm up the sticker and then slowly pull off.
( ( ( ( ( ((((((( Cool
    That's exactly what I do, after the missus told me to try! In 90% of the cases it works fine. If there remains glue, I use lighter fluid to remove it.

the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

Baron_Saturday
Post subject: RE: Annoying stickers on covers and sleeves  PostPosted: Nov 10, 2009 - 02:50 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I also use Goo Gone, but use a bunched up tissue instead of a q-tip.

Jump to: