The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
vinowinoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 11, 2009 - 01:30 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

For a few years now I have been using Eucalyptus Oil. It is a natural oil. It works well on those annoying stickers that some record shops insist on putting on the covers.
It can be bought down here in New Zealand at a Pharmacy.
I always start with a light smear on the sticker with a small piece of rag or a paper tissue, leave it a minute and ease it of. If not easy to come I give a bit more. It usually then gently peels off. I got one off a very rare Beatles album I found a few months ago.
(It also has a lovely smell.) Normally the oil is used if you have bad cold . A few drops in a pan of hot water and inhale the steam. This works also.

Reply with quote Back to top
RidinTheWind
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 12, 2009 - 11:49 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

How much of an oily residue does it leave and what do you use to clean it off without harming the label?

Also, does it work on stickers that are on a non glossy surface or have been on a long time?

vinowinoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 14, 2009 - 01:27 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I have only used Eucalyptus Oil on covers with a "photo finish", never on a flat cardboard type cover that a few albums came out with (eg in NZ Elton John- Tumbleweed Connection) . I have never had a problem with residue. I would recommend experiment with some old unwanted cover first.

washyourhandss
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 14, 2009 - 01:39 PM
Level 4
Level 4

whomever mentioned UN-DU.....

THANK YOU!

I have used just about every method metioned on this thread and all types of tools like specialized pics & stamp tweezers... but Un-Du is all in one and works amazing even on the toughest duct tape a certain DJ had used on his collection I now own.

tuckerbagOffline
Post subject: How to remove price stickers from covers  PostPosted: Oct 10, 2010 - 09:14 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know a good process to remove price stickers from covers? I used Goo Gone on an old cover and it removed some of the colouring.

Rafter242Offline
Post subject: RE: How to remove price stickers from covers  PostPosted: Oct 10, 2010 - 10:46 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I have used Goo Gone on approx. 10,000 albums with no ill effect.
Others will use lighter fluid, it also works, but the danger and smell keep me from using it on a regular basis.

One of the most important things to keep in mind when dealing with the removal of stickers is patience. Trying to get a label off before its ready will almost always result in a less than perfect outcome.

Last edited by Rafter242 on Oct 10, 2010 - 10:50 PM; edited 1 time in total

Global_Dog_ProductionsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 10, 2010 - 10:47 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Try lighter fluid if you can find it. No marks or stains, amazing what it does.

JGH1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 10, 2010 - 11:59 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I use a hair dryer on low to reactivate the glue under the sticker, then lift it off with a sharp, rounded-blade knife a little bit at a time.....reheat & re-peel, etc. For older stickers, Goo Gone works fine.

B_big.Offline
15 Post subject: And away the sticker is . . .  PostPosted: Oct 11, 2010 - 03:46 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

JGH1 wrote:
I use a hair dryer on low to reactivate the glue under the sticker, then lift it off with a sharp, rounded-blade knife a little bit at a time.....reheat & re-peel, etc. For older stickers, Goo Gone works fine.
( ( ( ( ( ((((((( Cool
    The 'hair dryer' method is what I use on a regularly basis! Yep! You gotta be patient, re-heat and re-peal is the secret. The glue residue can be wiped off with lighter fluid fairly easy without any damage to the cover.

the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

CliveOffline
Post subject: RE: And away the sticker is . . .  PostPosted: Jul 31, 2011 - 01:20 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Don't use Goo Gone on a cover unless it is black; GG will leave a slight yellow stain in my experience, even on relatively recent (1980s-onwards) covers. I usually use lighter fluid with a make-up remover pad stolen from my wife's stuff. Not only will it usually take of a sticker but it also helps clean general dirt on a cover.

Yesterday I picked up an ancient Beach Boys LP with a cover ruined by a kiddie sticker, ring wear and ink from whatever album it was next to for the last 45 years. I used a white artist eraser to get rid of the ring wear and most of the ink, even using it LIGHTLY on the band photo. Once I got the sticker off (mostly) with the lighter fluid, I ran the makeup pad with the fluid over the rest of the cover and it wiped up the remaining dirt that the eraser couldn't budge in seconds, with no lasting discoloration (dried up in under 5 min); now the whole cover pops. The change is so dramatic that I really wish I had taken before-and-after photos.

Jump to: