The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
j_loopOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: A logical measure system  PostPosted: Sep 14, 2014 - 01:34 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

wand143 wrote:
They go through the trouble of converting sizes to metric - why don't they just GO METRIC?

It would cost an absurd amount of money and why should we? Would it really change your life or make things in any measurable way better? I can't remember the last time having two major systems caused me even a moment's pause. It's like asking the Brits to drive on the right side of the road. It would cost a ton of money to fix a problem that doesn't exist. I like having 2 systems, it makes life a little more colorful.

Reply with quote Back to top
b-b-bubbaOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: A logical measure system  PostPosted: Sep 14, 2014 - 02:54 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

The only real annoyance for me after Canadaís conversion to metric (around 1979) was losing the milk crates for quart-sized containers. The litre-sized containers are slightly smaller making the metric crates virtually useless for storing records. Iím grateful for the six old crates that I have had since the seventies as they are now pretty rare up here.

crate.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.96 KB
 Viewed:  592 Time(s)

crate.jpg

Last edited by b-b-bubba on Sep 14, 2014 - 04:11 PM; edited 1 time in total

DaveyTheWaxManOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: A logical measure system  PostPosted: Sep 14, 2014 - 03:16 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Nice crates indeed.......................

kimzterOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: A logical measure system  PostPosted: Sep 14, 2014 - 03:31 PM
Level 3
Level 3

j_loop wrote:
wand143 wrote:
They go through the trouble of converting sizes to metric - why don't they just GO METRIC?

It would cost an absurd amount of money and why should we? Would it really change your life or make things in any measurable way better? I can't remember the last time having two major systems caused me even a moment's pause. It's like asking the Brits to drive on the right side of the road. It would cost a ton of money to fix a problem that doesn't exist. I like having 2 systems, it makes life a little more colorful.

The stupidest and most expensive thing Canada has ever done was officially adopt the metric system. It is almost 40 years later and lumber is still all in non-metric sizes. People still talk about their weight in pounds etc. I work in building construction, studs are still on 16 or 24 inch centers except when its a government kinda job. Then it is still the same except on the blueprints the numbers are the metric equivalent. This is just another example of the prime minister of the day blundering on ahead doing whatever he felt like without giving the idea any real thought.
All the arguments about how it is easier to do the math with metric are just silly. C'mon people if you can't divide by 2 then you probably can't figure out how to move that decimal one place left or right anyway.
Having said the above it would be just as stupid to try to change it back now.

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: A logical measure system  PostPosted: Sep 14, 2014 - 10:11 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

kimzter wrote:
j_loop wrote:
wand143 wrote:

The stupidest and most expensive thing Canada has ever done was officially adopt the metric system. It is almost 40 years later and lumber is still all in non-metric sizes. People still talk about their weight in pounds etc. I work in building construction, studs are still on 16 or 24 inch centers except when its a government kinda job. Then it is still the same except on the blueprints the numbers are the metric equivalent. This is just another example of the prime minister of the day blundering on ahead doing whatever he felt like without giving the idea any real thought.
All the arguments about how it is easier to do the math with metric are just silly. C'mon people if you can't divide by 2 then you probably can't figure out how to move that decimal one place left or right anyway.
Having said the above it would be just as stupid to try to change it back now.

i couldn't have put it any better. i might add that we [the US] were the world leaders in everything until we started integrating the metric system into our system. as a retired journeyman mechanic i can tell you first hand how difficult it is trying to hold tolerances and adjusting clearances with metric stuff. it has cost this country dearly in many ways.

wand143Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: A logical measure system  PostPosted: Sep 19, 2014 - 05:53 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

My response, by the way, was not a request as I remember the whole "Say! Let's convert everything into metric!" fiasco of the mid-1970s. However, a gradual conversion like what they did with two-liter soft drink bottles will probably be a sleazy way for manufacturers to make smaller packaging and sell it at the same "non-metric" price. It's kind of like how 24-can packs became 20-can packs, the aforementioned "scround" of ice cream shaving off 8 ounces...you get the drift, I'm sure.

Bush Monkey
Post subject: Beef Suet  PostPosted: Sep 23, 2014 - 04:25 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

The smell of rendering suet from grass fed beef into tallow...OMG!!!!
I should have done this outside like Grandma did. But she used bison suet.

Time to light a bunch of incense, and I mean a bunch of incense.

My dogs will be happy though, they get the cracklings from the tallow and I've cooked the crap for them that I had to cut off the suet before rendering it. Lucky doggies over here. Wink

EDIT: The incense helped a lot. A friend of mine came by and didn't even notice the suet rendering smell. The suet's turning into tallow, liquid gold now, one of the healthiest fats to cook with. It's not smelling as bad as when I first started rendering. I had a little bit of it in a mold to set and had my friend smell it...lol. He couldn't smell anything bad with it. This will be a successful batch, I'd say.

Holy cow! I can't wait till I'm done with this project. I don't know how to measure the amount of suet correctly in metrics, but I'm rendering 8 pounds of suet.

wand143Offline
Post subject: RE: Beef Suet  PostPosted: Sep 24, 2014 - 05:55 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Don't forget to leave some for our feathered friends this winter - they'll love you for it!

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: Beef Suet  PostPosted: Sep 24, 2014 - 12:17 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Herter wrote in his cookbooks http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/wild-chef/2013/02/bull-cook-greatest-cookbook-ever on how to do this and cook french fries in the tallow, the best you ever tasted

Bush Monkey
Post subject: RE: Beef Suet  PostPosted: Sep 25, 2014 - 06:53 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

My finished product...

This is half of the 8 pounds. I only render 4 pounds at a time, easier to manage. I'm doing the other half today.

I put the tallow into molds, either a muffin tin or a mini loaf pan. Some people put it into mason jars, but it is to hard to get out of a mason jar. Suet is a very hard fat, not like muscle fat, which is softer. Tallow is much easier to manage when put into molds. I will put some in the freezer, and some in the fridge. It doesn't have to be refrigerated, but I prefer to store what I'm currently using in the fridge.

I only buy suet from 100% grass fed and grass finished free range all natural beef.

Here is my beautiful tallow...

Tallow Bars.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.73 KB
 Viewed:  115 Time(s)

Tallow Bars.JPG

Tallow Rounds.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.42 KB
 Viewed:  115 Time(s)

Tallow Rounds.JPG