The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Bush Monkey
Post subject: Tube Radio  PostPosted: Sep 26, 2014 - 01:23 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

My son wants this tube radio, so I'm giving it to him when he gets back from vacation. It still works with the original tubes. Isn't that weird that it still turns on and is completely functional with the original tubes?

He has a bunch of old new tubes.

It's big and really heavy. I've had it for about 12 years, never used it and it's just taking up space, so I'll be glad when I give it to him.

Tube Radio.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.51 KB
 Viewed:  463 Time(s)

Tube Radio.JPG

Reply with quote Back to top
CaptainVagueOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 26, 2014 - 02:16 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Your son can get the spare parts online.
[url]
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Zenith-Tube-Radio-AM-FM-AFC-Alarm-Clock-Radio-For-Parts-or-Repair-/121444896923?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c46ae109b[/url]

"When he did show up we had a hard time finding something for him to do. Then one day he shows up and puts that great slide on "No Expectations". That was the last contribution I think Brian ever made." - Mick Jagger

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 27, 2014 - 06:03 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Sharp item - I think my mom still has her old Motorola "portable" which she got as a gift in high school and served as our family kitchen radio for years. I remember it too had to "warm up" after you turned it on.

wand143Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 01, 2014 - 05:59 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

The birch tree across the street is starting to turn yellow and a few maples down the block are bursting into red and orange - I like seeing autumn start but I hate seeing outdoor flea market season end. This Sunday's the last one, and then after that...all my record hunting is going indoors. Sigh.....

Bush Monkey
Post subject: Jibber Jabber  PostPosted: Oct 06, 2014 - 01:12 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

wurlitzer1450 wrote:
Herter wrote in his cookbooks http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/wild-chef/2013/02/bull-cook-greatest-cookbook-ever on how to do this and cook french fries in the tallow, the best you ever tasted
Wurl, (and anyone else) if you are interested I made a vid. of how I render suet.
http://youtu.be/lYTvcFJNmls

Also one of my new chest freezer and how I organized it.
http://youtu.be/Y-cY9taCyWE

WARNING: Some parts of these 2 videos may not be suitable for vegetarians, vegans, or the squeamish.

I'm not kidding, so if you fit in any of the aforementioned categories do NOT watch these videos.

I won an auction on eBay and I won it for the seller's starting price, I was the only bidder. The seller emailed me to ask me for more money to put in his paypal account after I won the auction. Can you believe that?!? I thought that was so F'ed Up. Never had that happen before. Is that against eBay rules? It should be.

Wow, I didn't know that Japanese eBay sellers have such a hard time with shipping prices to the US placed on their auctions.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arabesque-Colorful-Arabesque-Japan-LP-Obi-Red-Vinyl-Picture-Label-/361043824675?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item540fe39023

I think I like one of ARABESQUE's songs:
http://youtu.be/Z1QWbwxwN4w - Hello, Mr. Monkey.

Attention American Buyers.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.78 KB
 Viewed:  202 Time(s)

Attention American Buyers.JPG

rooster
Post subject: RE: Jibber Jabber  PostPosted: Oct 06, 2014 - 03:18 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Hey Mr. Monkey,

I liked your videos. I may have to try rendering suet. I noticed in your freezer that you have butter. Do you ever make clarified butter? It's great stuff. Fantastic for sauteing and other uses.

rooster

Bush Monkey
Post subject: RE: Jibber Jabber  PostPosted: Oct 06, 2014 - 05:34 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Thanks Rooster.

Yes, clarified butter is very good, rich and delish. I used to buy ghee before I figured out I could make my own. That is what I will make with some of the butter in my freezer...ghee, like how this here website shows:
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/ButterGhee.htm

Update on that eBay seller who asked me for more money after I already paid for my item:
I purposely ignored his email for one thing. I just looked at the tracking USPS site and it shows that Status of Item - Departed Post Office.

Okay, that's good. So if it arrives okay and as described I guess I will still leave him a 5 star feedback, even though he was trying to con me out of more money after I paid for it already. I really don't know what else to do about the feedback thingy on this matter.

j_loopOffline
Post subject: RE: Jibber Jabber  PostPosted: Oct 07, 2014 - 12:31 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Wait, so the person asking for more money was the Japanese seller for more postage or someone else just asking for more money for no reason?

I've seen Japanese sellers with appropriate shipping costs listed so I chalk those "shipping is not $4" people as just plain lazy and feel ebay should make them honor their listing.

Until your posts I thought suet was just for the birds and didn't know anything about tallow. Very interesting. So how does it taste compared to the popular oils I'm used to? I assume you just use it as you would any cooking oil, right?

p.s.: What's on my mind today? I hate stink bugs.

Bush Monkey
Post subject: RE: Jibber Jabber  PostPosted: Oct 07, 2014 - 02:20 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

It was not the Japanese seller, it was another seller. My friend said I shouldn't leave a 5 star feedback, maybe a 3 or 4 based on the email I received asking me to put more money in their Paypal account after I already paid for my item....that's so crazy I can't get over it.

I've seen Japanese sellers with appropriate shipping costs listed too! I think you're right. That Japanese seller must just be lazy.

You can use tallow like any other cooking oil. I grate it with my grater in the pan to use it. It adds a good favor and it has a high heat point. Tallow made from 100% grass fed beef is much healthier than your usual oils, like canola oil, corn oil, or something like that.

j_loop wrote:
p.s.: What's on my mind today? I hate stink bugs.
Me too. And I hate potato bugs. They freak me out.

j_loopOffline
Post subject: RE: Jibber Jabber  PostPosted: Oct 08, 2014 - 12:19 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I wouldn't leave 5 stars either unless every other aspect of the sale was phenomenal. That's why I only start listings at a price at which I'm comfortable selling, no seller's remorse that way.

I planted potatoes for the first time last year and everything was great, but I think the bugs just found the garden and didn't have time to do much damage. Fast forward to this year and potato beetles everywhere. For about 2 or 3 weeks it was a near daily chore of seek and destroy. Really annoying, especially in full sun. I'll probably plant a little later next year to avoid a couple generations.

Jump to: