The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
kaos01Offline
Post subject: How to Sell Your Records - A Basic Primer  PostPosted: Aug 15, 2007 - 08:39 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Long ago in a land not so far away, this same post was kept on hand in this forum as a 'sticky' (Gracias, Cutter).

Along came the trojan (for the newbies...we're not talking a USC graduate or a condom), and in the recovery process, a significant amount of posts were lost...including this one.

Since the subject is again appearing in greater frequency, I dug the original post up from my personal archives. As before, I sincerely hope that it answers some of the questions that many folks tend to pose here at The Guild.

Greetings, all!

One of the most common types of posts seen here at The Record Collectorís Guild deals with the desire to sell records, and the unfamiliarity as to how to proceed in doing such. The discriminating collector and/or accumulator that frequents this Community has guidelines that they go by when evaluating a potential purchase of records. In order to attract the most attention to your sale items, as well as attract the best price, the aforementioned buying guidelines should be addressed by the seller. Some of these guidelines include:

1 - Record Type
2 - Artist
3 - Title
4 - Label / Catalog Number
5 - Variations
6 - Condition(s)
7 - Asking Price

In this post, I hope to address each of these guidelines, and give you, the prospective seller, as much insight as to how to maximize your sales, and minimize your confusion. Iíll take the above list in the order in which itís written, although this order is NOT a requirement. Iíll also put each section together so that you can see how these building blocks of information come together to paint a vivid informational portrait that will help move your records, and generate the returns that your are seeking.

1 - Record Type

Okay, youíve got records for sale. Thatís a good thing, and youíre in the right place. So, what kind of records do you have? Are they 78s, 45s, 33s, or 16s? Answer that question, and your advertisement, so far, comes across as...

ďIíve got a 45 for sale.Ē

ALWAYS know what type of record you have, and the possible variations that come along with them. For example..78s are almost always a 10" disc, BUT early 33s were also found in the 10" format. The knowledge of what type of disc, and what variation could make the difference between a relatively common record and one that commands a high price in the marketplace. A 45 can be a Ďsingleí with one song per side, or it can be an ĎEPí (Extended Play) disc with two or more songs per side. A post-1957 33 album is normally a 12" disk, but in the last 25 years, singles have also appeared on the 12" format. A 45 record is normally 7" in size, but some 78s from the late 1930s to the 1950s were also in the 7" format. Take a good long look before you make your determination. With this information in place, your advertisement starts off like...

ďIíve got an EP 45 for sale.Ē

2 - Artist

Obviously a necessity. To say that ĎIíve got a bunch of records for saleí is not only horribly ambiguous, itís a great way to turn a seasoned buyer away from your sale. Donít hesitate to be a Ďname-dropperí!

ďIíve got an Elvis 45 EP for sale.Ē

3 - Title

Another obvious necessity. To say that ĎIíve got a bunch of Elvis records for saleí will pique interest, but to keep the interest from withering and dying, know the album title. If itís 78s or 45s that you have, know the song titles on both sides of the disk. If itís an EP, either list the EP title (if known), or the song titles (if EP title is unknown). Now we've got...

ďIíve got an Elvis 45 EP for sale. Itís the Elvis Touch of Gold Volume 1 set.Ē

4 - Label / Catalog Number

These are also necessities, and in some cases, it can provide absolutely vital clues as to what you have to offer.

ďIíve got an Elvis 45 EP for sale. Itís the Elvis Touch of Gold Volume 1 set. Itís on RCA 5088.Ē

5 - Variations

This is the first step where research into your disk may well be required. Using tools like posts found here at The Guild, as well as guides from Goldmine and Jerry Osborne (which can be purchased here at http://www.recordcollectorsguild.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=35&page=1), well researched small details can make huge differences in collector demand. For example, Several Blue Note records that were issued in the early 1950s have been re-issued time after time over the last 50 years. The titles, songs, and the artwork may remain the same, but the values and demands are vastly different. The information on a Blue Note record label will provide you with a wealth of knowledge as to what you have. The difference can be worth hundreds of dollars, and itís all locked away on the label. ALWAYS get to know your label, and cross-reference it with other guides like the aforementioned books, or ask for insight from the membership here at The Guild as we have access to several informational sources to benefit your needs.

Bear in mind, several Ďhigh-dollarí records have been counterfeited by charlatains who, rather than try to satisfy collectors demands, were out in search of a sucker and a fast buck. Do you know if you have one of those fakes? Take a look at related topics like http://www.recordcollectorsguild.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=13765 . If youíre still unsure, just ask us; weíve got members on 5 of the 7 continents, and weíre here to help. That being said, our simulated ad reads like...

ďIíve got an Elvis 45 EP for sale. Itís the Elvis Touch of Gold Volume 1 set. Itís on RCA 5088, and itís the Maroon label variation.Ē

6 - Condition

This is an essential, and frequently error-plagued and controversial element in the advertising process. If you are grading an album, or a 45 or EP with a PS (Picture Sleeve), be sure to mention the jacket conditions as well as that of the vinyl. You can find information on condition evaluation (the Goldmine standard) here at The Guild at http://www.recordcollectorsguild.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=17&page=1 . You can then break down the intricacies of the finer points of grading with your fellow Guild members at http://www.recordcollectorsguild.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewforum&f=59 . Donít Ďguestimateí your grade. Grading knowledge is a power that will open doors, just as assuredly as ignorance will slam them in your face. Now we're up to...

ďIíve got an Elvis 45 EP for sale. Itís the Elvis Touch of Gold Volume 1 set. Itís on RCA 5088, and itís the Maroon label variation. The vinyl is VG- with some slight scuffing and SOL (a sticker on the label). The jacket is VG+ with strong seams and slight ring wear.Ē

7 - Asking Price

Now, youíre in waters where research is mandatory...unless you just donít care what you get. The aforementioned price guide books are a nice place to glean the basic information from, but under NO circumstances should they be considered the gospel truth in valuation.

A book is just that..a book. On the average, it comes out once a year, and it sums up what the author thinks happened in the marketplace for a specific artist in the previous year. It cannot tell you what is happening in the marketplace on a right here - right now, real-time basis. That is where the real value is determined, and that is where you can best collect the information to form a rational asking price. For example: the descriptions for the Elvis EP that Iíve been building are for a disc that has a BOOK value of up to $1,000 (depending upon the variation). Now then, after doing some research to see what this same disc is currently selling for in the marketplace, I see that this exact same record that has a maximum BOOK value of $1,000 has just sold on eBay for $75.00.

The bottom line is so simple, itís often overlooked: You might have one of the most rare records of all time, but if the best offer you can get is $5.00, then itís worth $5.00 at the time. By the same token, you might have a (Ugh!) Mitch Miller record that someone is willing to buy from you for $20.00. To your buyer, that disk is worth $20.00; to the book, itís worth less than $5.00. The marketplace is the controlling factor in setting the true value of anything, so it is best to know your outlets, and what prices are being realized for your disk on that specific venue. A couple to look at would be www.popsike.com, and secondly eBay. On eBay, always make sure to look at the completed items that actually sold. There are more than enough buffoons that overgrade, misrepresent, and overprice their records in the world, and it seems that eBay has a goodly amount of them. Finally, you can roll out an ad that looks like.....

ďIíve got an Elvis 45 EP for sale. Itís the Elvis Touch of Gold Volume 1 set. Itís on RCA 5088, and itís the Maroon label variation. The vinyl is VG- with some slight scuffing and SOL (a sticker on the label). The jacket is VG+ with strong seams and slight ring wear. This is the Ď3-line titleí jacket variation. Osborne places a high book value on this disk, but Iíll let it go for $****.Ē

CONGRATULATIONS! Youíve now filled in almost every blank that a collector might be asking regarding the record you wish to sell, and you've learned about the industry at the same time. (Pretty neat, huh?) The art of record collecting can call down some strenuous details, and there may be other questions to be answered, but armed with the knowledge in what youíre selling, youíre ready for almost any question that may come your way. Oh, by the way...you'll find that this formula works here at The Guild, as well as eBay, GEMM, your own website, the local newspaper...ANYWHERE!

Above all, have fun and never be afraid to ask questions around here regarding that which binds us together as a community...that lovely little obsession that we call, vinyl.

.......this night wounds time.

Reply with quote Back to top
CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: How to Sell Your Records - A Basic Primer  PostPosted: Aug 15, 2007 - 10:55 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Great information kaos01. Let's hope the 'post one time trying to sell my dead uncle's records' crowd reads it.

What the heck is going on with the garbled quotation marks and ampersand? This is getting to be downright annoying, especially to a pedantic nit picker like myself.

mojo525Offline
Post subject: RE: How to Sell Your Records - A Basic Primer  PostPosted: Aug 16, 2007 - 07:03 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Good stuff Kaos.
Nice, necessary service for our readers. Hopefully the Mods will capture it and make it a sticky, and put it on our home page.

Former Member
Post subject: RE: How to Sell Your Records - A Basic Primer  PostPosted: Aug 16, 2007 - 07:55 AM

merci beaucoup... good job, kaos.

Sell_It_Like_It_Is VinylOffline
Post subject: RE: How to Sell Your Records - A Basic Primer  PostPosted: Feb 03, 2008 - 05:12 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Good information - thank you. Should I call a record *RARE* if I try to sell it on eBay?

Death-By-DigitalOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: How to Sell Your Records - A Basic Primer  PostPosted: Feb 03, 2008 - 09:39 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Sell_It_Like_It_Is Vinyl wrote:
Good information - thank you. Should I call a record *RARE* if I try to sell it on eBay?

Only if it is. Nothing discourages a buyer more than a sellar who is lying to make a few extra bucks. If they lied about that, what else would they lie about??

Metallica Collection: www.deathbydigital.com

platterpawsOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: How to Sell Your Records - A Basic Primer  PostPosted: Feb 03, 2008 - 11:15 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I think that if I sold records I might save "Rare" for a BBQ technique and "Mint" for a flavour.

RecostanziOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: How to Sell Your Records - A Basic Primer  PostPosted: Jun 13, 2008 - 04:23 PM
Level 4
Level 4

This is SOOO NICE!!!! GREAT!!!!! WOWWWWW!!!!

aravelOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 09, 2010 - 04:10 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

::: I thought this topic was gone!

It was one of the first of too many posts that I actually printed as a newbie, translated to spanish, then, put in practice!! Mr. Green

gypsyeyes wrote:

Now.......I know that aravel said that is an older photo of himself.
But let me tell ya, to me he looks pretty hot.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
dsw67Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 28, 2011 - 12:14 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for posting this. As a newbie it's greatly appreciated.

Jump to: