The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
tvaddictOffline
Post subject: homemade record cleaning machine  PostPosted: Sep 15, 2007 - 04:07 PM
Level 5
Level 5

I made one of these from information I got from the web. I am no innovator and I pretty much copied this guy from start to finish. here is the site:
http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/cleaner/cleaner.html [url]

has anyone attempted to do the same? The vpi,nitty gritty,etc... machines are just too darned expensive.

Reply with quote Back to top
CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: homemade record cleaning machine  PostPosted: Sep 16, 2007 - 05:56 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Hello tvaddict and welcome to the RCG!

I posted pictures and a description of my homemade machine about 14 months ago but it looks like that post was lost in a recent website meltdown.

So here goes again. The platter was scavenged from an old Victrola. The cabinet was made from scrap steel I had laying around. I cut and welded it to size and also made a removable access plate that is screwed to the backside. A motor from an old vacuum cleaner is bolted inside. The vertical vacuum tube and swinging arm are made from common PVC fittings from the hardware store. Note the black velvet glued to the arm, to protect the records while vacuuming. The spindle was modified by welding a 1/4" bolt onto it. This allows the clamp to be held securely against the record. The clamp is made from 1/2" plate steel and the offset knob (also scavenged from the Victrola) makes it easy to spin the record manually. The brushes were by far the most expensive part of the project at $10.00 each IIRC. The cleaning solutions is the standard alcohol/distilled water homemade recipe. Not shown are two other vacuum swinging arms, one for 7" and the other for 10" records.

I've cleaned well over 2,000 records with this machine and it works beautifully.

DCP_0760a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.97 KB
 Viewed:  3775 Time(s)

DCP_0760a.jpg

DCP_0764a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  9.16 KB
 Viewed:  3775 Time(s)

DCP_0764a.jpg

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: homemade record cleaning machine  PostPosted: Sep 16, 2007 - 05:56 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

more details

DCP_0776a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  12.97 KB
 Viewed:  3773 Time(s)

DCP_0776a.jpg

DCP_0774a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  12.06 KB
 Viewed:  3773 Time(s)

DCP_0774a.jpg

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: homemade record cleaning machine  PostPosted: Sep 16, 2007 - 05:57 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

a couple more pics

DCP_0772a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  8.65 KB
 Viewed:  3771 Time(s)

DCP_0772a.jpg

DCP_0770a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  14.06 KB
 Viewed:  3771 Time(s)

DCP_0770a.jpg

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject: RE: homemade record cleaning machine  PostPosted: Sep 16, 2007 - 06:01 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

One detail not evident in the photos. I cut a circular rubber gasket (from an old truck innertube) and glued it onto the bottom of the clamp. This provides tremendous grip on the record label, preventing slippage while the record is being spun and cleaned.

tvaddictOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 16, 2007 - 07:09 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Thanks for the reply. Here are some pics of my rcm. I hope they can be seen. I am not able to contact the person who made the machine I took the specs from, there is no link or contact infol on the site. I was wondering if the vacuum crevice tool is supposed to touch the record while being vacuumed? I did put velvet on the crevice tool. When I hold the crevice tool close to the record it suctions to the record and if I am holding it too far away it does not suck the liquid up. Is it Ok to touch the record when vacuuming? Maybe you do not have this problem since your machine has an arm. any info would be great. Maybe I should build the arm. The machine has good suction as I mounted the vacuum motor right over the hole and the hose has an open hole to adjust the pressure.

tvaddictOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 16, 2007 - 07:13 PM
Level 5
Level 5

[img][/img]

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 16, 2007 - 08:35 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Can't see the pics tvaddict.

It's OK for the vacuum arm to touch the record. The black velvet I glued on protects the vinyl. The swinging arm (as on my machine) is merely a convenience and perhaps speeds up the cleaning process. A hand-held vacuum wand would do a fine job as well.

tvaddictOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 16, 2007 - 10:04 PM
Level 5
Level 5

Yeah, I thought it was ok for the wand to touch the record, just making sure. I noticed you have one of the vpi brushes without the handle. I was thinking of doing the same thing. I had the idea it would be hard to hold onto without the handle. I do not know why they charge $10.00 for the brush and $30.00+ for the handle and brush. Another diy project I guess. One could probably fab a handle for that brush Im sure. I would like to put up those pics of the rcm but I could not figure it out. Any tips? Does one need a website/domain to do so?

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 16, 2007 - 10:23 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

I'm a cheap bastard so I opted for the brushes w/o handles. It's easy enough to hold as is. So I guess I saved $40.00. Very Happy

I thought about fabricating some handles for the brushes. It would be simple enough to do using wood. But why bother? I'm too busy cleaning records.

Posting photos to the forum:

No larger than 400x400 pixels
No larger than 40 kb
No more than 2 images per post.

Jump to: