The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
cbenefldOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: actual 45 sales vs. gold  PostPosted: Apr 14, 2008 - 10:20 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

78s, I agree that the price guides are way off, but where would you go to estimate the value of replacing a collection? I guess you could do finished and fixed price listings on eBay including the shipping cost in the 'value.' Still if you have a lot of commons that are $3-5 too expensive in the price guides, but then a handful of records that are under-priced by hundreds, that should kind of even out.

Plus, if you think of all the stories we trade here about hilariously high prices you'll see at brick and mortars, I'm not so sure the price guides are all that far off if you wanted to quickly replace things.

Reply with quote Back to top
cbenefldOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: actual 45 sales vs. goldmine  PostPosted: Apr 14, 2008 - 10:22 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

troggy wrote:

Not that I'd want to lose the records that I already have but, if I can't scour, I wouldn't want to do it again. The hunt is a big part of the fun, for me.

I hear you, but I think I'd have a little less zest for trying to find the same damn records all over again. I get excited about searching for something different and/or rare.

annaloogAdministrator
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: actual 45 sales vs.  PostPosted: Apr 14, 2008 - 11:27 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

78s wrote:
... i maintain the books are wrong. they are misleading.

they named one of them "goldmine" fer christs sake.
Why not compile your own listing of 'realistic' "values". You could name it, "Saltmine". Wink

Former Member
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: actual 45 sales  PostPosted: May 05, 2008 - 09:16 AM

Anyone want to buy some Herp Alpert, Roger Miller, Doris Day or Barbara Striesand at book value?

I thought not.

troggyOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: actual 45 sales vs. goldmine  PostPosted: May 05, 2008 - 09:54 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

cbenefld wrote:
troggy wrote:

Not that I'd want to lose the records that I already have but, if I can't scour, I wouldn't want to do it again. The hunt is a big part of the fun, for me.

I hear you, but I think I'd have a little less zest for trying to find the same damn records all over again. I get excited about searching for something different and/or rare.

Well yeah, I see your point. Finding the same records again wouldn't be as much fun.

T-BoneOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: actual 45 sa  PostPosted: May 05, 2008 - 01:22 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

78s wrote:
Anyone want to buy some Herp Alpert, Roger Miller, Doris Day or Barbara Striesand at book value?

I thought not.

No, but IŽd love to buy Johnny Guitar WatsonŽs JOWAT 45 at book price.

Former Member
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: actual 4  PostPosted: May 05, 2008 - 02:00 PM

rofl.

point taken and appreciated.

i bet alot of folks would pay 25$ for this...

examples abound... but, yea, okay, the books are realistic. no problem.

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 16, 2008 - 06:10 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

FELLOW GUILDERS

I am responding to this post without reading alla the replies 'cause I can't any more. These topics are beyond redundancy.

Lookee here: the guys who do the price guides are "work-for-hire" (look it up) and don't give a goddamn about their work or its accuracy. Like most bluecollars, they get paid to do a job (fill pages with gobbledygook) and they do it, take their miniscule paychecks, and attempt to pay the bills.

I tried to make this situation work with both O'Sullivan-Woodisde (how many of you have been around long enough to remember when they were the only guide to look up?) and Krause (how many of you have been around long enough to remember that I created their line of now unreliable price guides?). The publishers thought that my attention to detail and getting it accurate was insane!

Plus, most of the values assigned to records in the guides are not based on actual research, but on random submissions and an assembly-line grid that assigns values to records based on age, genre, artist, blah blah blah but not on sales. Why do those of you who have been around for awhile think that JO kept telling you that herman;'s Hermits albums were worth "$10-12" in NM condition when any knucklehead could buy sealed copuies for $1.99 at his/her local retail outlet???

Finally, as I attempted to show in alla my books: rare records are rarer and more valuable than you think while "not rare" records are more common and less valuable than you think.

Ho hum. . .

NEAL[/code]

gatorhuggerOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: actual 45 sales vs. goldmine guide  PostPosted: Jul 20, 2008 - 03:29 PM
Level 2
Level 2

The truth is the guides inflated record prices, so more people would collect , and buy more. So that there were more sales of guides and rare records.

In effect the guides created the market. Same with trading cards.
Once ebay came along, the real laws of supply and demand too over. Prices and demand were nothing near the artificial numbers the guides stated and never will be.

nealumphredOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 21, 2008 - 04:44 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

GATORHUGGER

This is not intended to be insulting: YOU COULD NOT BE MORE INCORRECT. The market for all collectables exist years/decades before guides come along. Prior to guides, a handfuul of knowledgeable collectors and dealers OWNED the bloody market in any given field.

Guides were HATED by these elite groups. (To this day, a top dealer in rare jazz LPs on the West Coast refers to me as "Nealfuckingumphred" because my books caused his regular pickers to demand more for the records with which they supplied him, cutting into his MASSIVE profits.). Guides, even the worst, at least gave the man-on-the-street a hint that the records/cards/comics he had been selling for nickels and dimes were worth FAR, FAR more in the right market.

I know most people who live post price guides do DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS, which is why I end up wasting so much time arguing with RCG know-it-alls who have been "collecting" records at flea markets and thrift stores for a few years AND HAVEN'T A CLUE AS TO WHAT IT WAS LIKE BEFORE THERE WAS HAMILTON & OSBORNE!!!

As for Ebay: Jeez, wake up! Record buying and selling on Ebay is a day-byday exercise in proving the old term, "the blind leading the blind". But, hey, believe what you want, it can only get in the way of your success as a buyer/seller

NEAL

PS: Yes, they did inflate the value of common records to sell books. Any newbie with half his brain -pan filled figured that out rather quickly. The shame of those books -and JO'sd and Neely's and Miller's current books- is how dramatically they undervalued the really collectable and rare records. Ho hum. . .

PS2: I welcome responses from those readers who were around in the '60s and '70s when there were no price guides. I remember selling a shop in Greenweich Village twenty (!) copies of Kaleidoscope's BEACON FROM MARS, all unplayed, white label promos, for $2 each 'cause there were no guides to tell me that it was a very desirable record. . .

Jump to: