The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
sun-rockerOffline
Post subject: The worst packaging EVER !  PostPosted: Nov 17, 2007 - 01:59 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hi folks,
years ago I won a auction for a rare 78 RPM record (Billy "The Kid" Emerson on SUN 233 "Something for nothing" / "Little fine healthy thing") and was very happy about the deal.

Then the record came...

...in a big, but thin letter enevelope Shocked Shocked Shocked - no cardboard pieces to stabilize the record, just a thin papersleeve in a envelope ! Shocked Shocked Shocked

I was really shocked about it, but the record was intact - no crack, no chip ! Very Happy

How this is possible is still a big miracle too me Confused Wink

I think of all the ebay deals - this was the worst packaging EVER !

sun-rocker

Cool

Reply with quote Back to top
windbagOffline
Post subject: Re: The worst packaging EVER !  PostPosted: Nov 17, 2007 - 06:17 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

sun-rocker wrote:
Hi folks,
years ago I won a auction for a rare 78 RPM record (Billy "The Kid" Emerson on SUN 233 "Something for nothing" / "Little fine healthy thing") and was very happy about the deal.

Then the record came...

...in a big, but thin letter enevelope Shocked Shocked Shocked - no cardboard pieces to stabilize the record, just a thin papersleeve in a envelope ! Shocked Shocked Shocked

I was really shocked about it, but the record was intact - no crack, no chip ! Very Happy

sun-rocker

Cool

Yep, not exactly unusual. I'd say about 1/3 of my incoming records flop around loose in the mailer. Some of the sellers are SOOOOOO cheap they don't do too much of a job even taping it shut (what a way to save money--just a few strips of Scotch tape!). I got an Lp in the mail about 6 weeks ago, just a torn brown paper bag taped up, two carved up pieces of thin carboard from a priority box flanking it and not quite covering it. Quite a candidate for getting folded up like an ashtray. Maybe the guys want the PO to bust them up to eliminate any chance of returns? Sad

rdwsr1964Offline
Post subject: Re: The worst packaging EVER !  PostPosted: Nov 17, 2007 - 07:47 AM
Level 2
Level 2

sun-rocker wrote:
Hi folks,

Then the record came...

sun-rocker

Cool
I had a similar experience a while back,not only that the mailman must have thought it was a magazine so he folded it "SNAP!"

cookesrcOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: The worst packaging EVER !  PostPosted: Nov 18, 2007 - 09:12 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Got a record from Canada in a manilla envelope 2 days ago. In the mail for 10 days. Its pretty much ok though

mackdaddygOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 21, 2007 - 09:26 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Here's one for ya...

Years ago, when I perused ebay more than I do now, I bought a small stack of lps from some nimrod.

The mailer consisted of a used pizza box turned inside out. To go the extra mile, he taped the lps together. Did I mention none of them were sealed?

I won't even get into what he considered VG++ (which was basically unplayable). The upside of it all is that it was very cheap, and the one album I was able to salvage (meaning the tape didn't rip the cover to shreds, and the lp was actually in good shape) was a Traffic album, which I kept. The rest were discarded long ago.

Pitiful!!!!!

sun-rockerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 22, 2007 - 04:16 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hi folks,
thanks for sharing your experience Very Happy

Well some years ago I lost a rare german 78 RPM pressing, it was a Hank Williams record. The price was cheap, but the guy who selled it on ebay had no idea how breakable a 78 RPM record is. So he just put the 78 RPM record in a thin LP-cardboard-mailer and send it to me - it was broken, of course. Crying or Very sad

I still look for that record, but german pressings are rare.

sun-rocker Cool

EvilN8Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 12, 2007 - 12:18 AM
Level 5
Level 5

Not a record, but I received a film poster that I paid over $100 for in a USED pizza box. The poster was bent in half, and put inside of the box. Cheese was still stuck to the inside of the box, and the grease stained the poster. Needless to say, I was pissed.

NitroOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 12, 2007 - 07:17 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Who was the seller? That's the whole reason for the post, right?

to make that long link short "[url=" (no quotes) paste link, follow with ]my link [/url]"

smunger805Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 17, 2007 - 05:13 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Recieved an lp today....arrived in a yellow manila envelope. That's it...no cardboard no nothing. Just my lp stuck in an envelope. Cover is bent to hell corners are gone! Record amazingly is not broke but is scratched to hell as well.

Ebay ain't what it used to be..... Rolling Eyes

DaveyTheWaxManOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 11, 2008 - 02:41 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I won three nice 78s in a lot--on Queen, United and @#!! Gilt-Edge labels--the dickhead packed them all three just stuck into a mailer, zero padding, and of course they were @#! cracked...I e-mailed the dunce back to explain the @#! facts of life--idiot said he "didn't realize" the whys and wherefores of 78 shipping. At least he refunded my bread...

Jump to: