The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ewingtonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 12, 2008 - 05:26 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

The last pack lot i bought off EBAY was packed with a single scrunched up sheet of newspaper in the box. All the records were looser than the town bike and they charged me 70 bucks postage.

Its not as if i am gonna ship them back eh.......not happy Jan!!!! Still, that seller will never see my money ever again.

Reply with quote Back to top
sun-rockerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 12, 2008 - 05:32 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hey Davey,
Iím sorry to hear that again wonderful 78 RPM records lost their live, just because some people donít know how to make a safe packaging. Evil or Very Mad

Well, after buying a record on Ebay I tmail the seller and explain how breakable 78 RPM records are and tell the seller a safe way to package them.

The last 78 RPM record that I buyed on Ebay was a german/austria pressing of Rusty Draperís "Gamblerís Guitar" on AUSTROTON-MERCURY with a never seen (for me total new) label-variation. After mailing the guy he tried his best. He made a very big parcel with a lot of fill-stuff and cardboard pieces around the record - WOW! Very Happy

sun-rocker

Cool

platterpawsOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: The worst packaging EVER !  PostPosted: Jan 12, 2008 - 06:18 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

cookesrc wrote:
Got a record from Canada in a manilla envelope 2 days ago. In the mail for 10 days. Its pretty much ok though

...that's that Canadian manilla man... good stuff! : )

I'm okay with what ever material the shipper wants to use but it needs to be done in a way that will preserve whats inside if it gets bounced through a sorting machine. I've lost one record to packaging so far. It was covered and taped up in cardboard cut from a box with the folding hinge of one of the flaps running right across the center of the record. The young seller seemed honest and sincere through the beginning of our transaction but communication stopped shortly after I received it and told them it had arrived broken. There was no refund. I think it was the time spent verifying condition and safe shipping practices which had worked well in the past that was the most disappointing.

windbagOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: The worst packaging EVER !  PostPosted: Jan 29, 2008 - 10:20 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

The worst happened--Lp arrived in a white Lp mailer, no stiffener, just one strip of brown packing tape across the fold close, and a crease down the middle of the box with the grain of the corrigated cardboard. NO care in stiffening the box! Lp filthy, well short of decent condition as advertised. I suspect the seller didn't get his/her price and maybe busted the Lp before putting it in the box just to show how p...ed off they were selling it. Record was placed outside the Lp cover, but the contents flopped loose in the box. Lp snapped right down to the spindle hole. @#$%&*! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

platterpawsOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: The worst packaging EVER !  PostPosted: Feb 04, 2008 - 08:03 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Flopping loose does not make for a good ride. Maybe they get a point for the effort of using a mailer at least but I've had some really good results arrive from sellers who don't and were willing to communicate about the packing process before I bid. Some sellers seem to really know what they are doing when they package and some of course are still learning. Corner protection is not as important to some folks either. Intentionally splitting it before shipping was one of the thoughts passed through my mind after my broken one arrived too, not a good feeling Sad Hope you find another copy... and at a better price! Smile

LoneStarStompOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: The worst packaging EVER !  PostPosted: Feb 04, 2008 - 10:25 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Aside from his feedback rants and creative record grading I give all of you yet ANOTHER reason to avoid purchasing records from that San Antonio swami Les Harris.

For 99 cents and $5 shipping I received a 'M-' copy of Sunny and the Sunliners 'Banana Juice' on Key-loc. I knew bidding that I wouldn't get a M- record, and I didn't. Nice VG+. But for the opening bid and extravagant shipping charge I figured I'd take a chance.

So last week an lp sleeve comes in the mail. Sides taped. But no lp inside. Only a folded up lp sleeve. Wrapped around my Sunny & the Sunliners 45. Nothing stiff to guard against bending. Not even 'fragile-don't bend'. And a $1.98 shipping tag as well. Class act!

Rafter242Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: The worst packaging EVER !  PostPosted: Sep 12, 2009 - 11:43 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I'm in the NW US and I recently received an album from Spain which I paid $100 for and it was shipped in a manilla envelope with no padding whatsoever.
Somehow it survived!
I was no less upset though.

DaveyTheWaxManOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: The worst packaging EVER !  PostPosted: Dec 19, 2009 - 10:42 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Yeah, I'm done with 78s through the mail.
Check this out--one I haven't posted yet:

From a female Canadian dealer who posts HUGE lists--so you'd think she'd be a little on top of the game. Wellsir, the 78 was packed within an inch of its life...padded GREAT. But here's the killer....they'd secured the old paper-stock 78 with tape, which was anchored to the packing material....so...in removing the tape, I gave the disc a lovely crack!!

What was it? Well, in the past I've successfully received a 78 on the "King Maple Leaf" label--grey label stock, maroon label, with a big old maple leaf on the label. (I even posted it here once, but it;s gone now).
But THIS time around?!?!?
This was a "DeLuxe Maple Leaf" pressing--similar coloration as the other one--somewhere in the grey-green area.
At least I got good pics of it for my book.
Woulda been nice to have it intact, though.

citronOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 19, 2009 - 12:49 PM
Level 2
Level 2

EvilN8 wrote:
Not a record, but I received a film poster that I paid over $100 for in a USED pizza box. The poster was bent in half, and put inside of the box. Cheese was still stuck to the inside of the box, and the grease stained the poster. Needless to say, I was pissed.

Shocked

I can imagine how pissed you were once you looked at that nasty cheese all over!

talisman778Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 23, 2009 - 05:37 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Just recently bought 50 PROMO 45s. Received them wrapped in a plastic shopping bag and thrown in a box way too big with no padding. Flopped around in there all the way here. 2-3 arrived broken.
Even had 500 sent to me in a banana box before. Several arrived broken.
I always double box large quantities.

Jump to: