The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
sun-rockerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 29, 2009 - 07:39 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Sometimes a seller don't use a standard LP record mailer and the way the LP is packaged can be very bad - or very good.

One time I bought a Don Gibson LP from 1961 (german stereo first pressing on RCA, very thin cover, Mint- condition record and cover) in the USA. After payment I waited and waited for the record. It never came. So I contacted the Ebay seller and he gave me my money back (without any questions) very quickley. After that I begun to think that he maybe never send any LP, 'cause the price was very low.

Several weeks later the LP finally arrived - in a very, very big package. The LP was inside of lots of bubble warp and outside was a lot of cardboard. This package was very big and it was damaged on one side (totally ripped off) and it still was wet from a huge waterdamage. It came in a plastic bag with a note from the german post that there was some damage on the way.

I found out that the LP was totally dry, no water had reached the thin paper cover. There was so much bubblewarp around it that it was waterproof. The other damage also not reached the LP. Shocked Very Happy

I contacted the seller, told him what happened and send him his money again.

The funny thing is that it happened to me with an LP that I sold (to Japan) via Ebay a little bit later. It was a german 10'' Jazz LP, I put a normal LP plastic sleeve around it and fold the plasticsleeve on the back and taped it there - so the LP was then waterproof. This was just because the sleeve was too big for the small LP. After a few weeks the buyer contacted me and told me that a waterdamage had destroyed the whole package - but the LP was still dry in it's package ! Lucky buyer and lucky me ! Laughing

Reply with quote Back to top
stephenjayeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 31, 2009 - 03:24 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

The worst packaging award has to go to the knucklehead who sent me a 78 in a pizza box... complete with dried cheese stuck to the inside of the lid!

A real weeper was the mint 78 of Carl Perkins on SUN 234 ... shipped in a priority letter mailer. Arrived in pieces. I was new to 78s then and I've learned to ask if sellers have shipped 78s before.

michelle4620Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 20, 2010 - 06:29 AM
Level 1
Level 1

I sell all my records on amazon, dont have allot just a collection I got from a storage unit and they sell about one a week. When I started I looked at how to ship believe it or not they recommend Pizza Boxes but they also ask you to buy new ones not used as they are cheap. I decided to go with Record shipping boxes at 80 cents apiece because did not want a problem
Always check the return policy
Always ask how they ship if the record is very important to you than request a record box and pay 2 dollars more
I know I know sellers should take care of what they sell and their customer service but few do , I take pride in it and dont cut corners

Michelle

silverhaze-vinylOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 02, 2011 - 05:21 PM
Level 2
Level 2

The worst record i recieved was a 1st pressing copy of Nirvana`s Nevermind advertised as NR mint on Ebay for 25.00 including postage and the blithering idiot who sold it me sent it in black bin bag! without any padding or cardboard, No protection what so ever, And yes you guessed it i had to go through Ebay`s silly "not as described" farce in order to my cash back...The record had snapped into 4 peices

camppOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 02, 2011 - 06:33 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I bought a movie poster from some religious organization on ebay. It was not folded, but rolled. Well, they folded it and stuffed it into an envelope. When I complained, they sent me a nasty letter and told me to bite it, basically. They could not understand what my problem was, as I "got the poster, right?".

Jackasses.

1923VictorFanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 15, 2011 - 09:00 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Wow. I've never had a negative record-shipping experience. Literally ALL of my records (300+) have been purchased on eBay and were shipped in well packed boxes.I have never had a cracked or broken disc. What's even more amazing is that I only buy Victor Talking Machine records made before 1908!

DeadDogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 30, 2011 - 09:09 AM
Level 5
Level 5

1923VictorFan wrote:
What's even more amazing is that I only buy Victor Talking Machine records made before 1908!

I would guess that probably works in your favour, as most people selling those would be quite aware of how to take proper care of records and thus ship them securely.

I got a "NEW" LP the other day, still factory sealed, in a standard cardboard sleeve (no inner padding or anything) and now there is ring wear on the outer sleeve and the top two corners are bent. LAAMMME.

veganboyjoshOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 19, 2012 - 06:58 AM
Level 3
Level 3

i've had a few doozies. one was a huge box, like the size of a box you would buy a brand new microwave in (that allows for 3" of styrofoam around the oven). for one LP. when i went to the counter with my pickup slip, the woman saw the "media mail" stamp, and asked me what it was. i said "it's a record." she almost didn't believe me, but because i had picked up countless LP and 45 mailers from her before, she let it go. i got it home and it was that one single record with a bunch of packing paper wrapped around it.

the worst job i've ever seen, tho, i got photos of. this is how it looked when i opened it:

there were more 7"s on the other side of the LP. i was dumbfounded how anyone could put those in a box and think they'd be ok.

there were a few bent corners, but considering the horrible packing job, i was happy this was all the damage.

windbagOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 19, 2012 - 09:12 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Methinks they figure once they mail it, it ain't their problem anymore.

Rafter242Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 20, 2012 - 08:13 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I hope you complained. Those people need to know there is a problem or they will continue to ship in that manner.

Jump to: