The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
TheMastermindOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 08, 2008 - 04:32 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

'Twine Time' by Alvin Cash & The Crawlers was one of the bigger hits Williams was involved in, reaching #14 on the US charts in 1965. It gives a co-writing credit to Rice, which I assumed to be Mack Rice (ex of The Falcons) as he and Williams released the original 'Mustang Sally' together that same year.

I assumed it to be Mack but that's not actually correct, as his writng partner on that label was one Verlie Rice.

It's another mid tempo soul instrumental in the vein of 'Rib Tips' but not as grimy. It'd do the job on a dance floor though, no doubt there.

Last edited by TheMastermind on Mar 08, 2008 - 05:22 AM; edited 2 times in total

Reply with quote Back to top
TheMastermindOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 08, 2008 - 05:01 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Williams isn't too generous to Alvin Cash and had this to say about him:
Quote:

I also recorded ... with Alvin Cash (and the Registers). I also did "Twine Time" with him. When I cut Alvin and I got a hit on him, the same way the American system works, the white boys moved in and he chose a white producer. You know, "We're gonna make you a star, why don't you go with us?" and then, when comes session time, Alvin doesn't want Andre to produce it. What a dumb m**********r! I mean, I would've always stuck with the cat that got me there in the first place! But he wanted to go with them. Alvin needs producing 'cause there's no talent there, he's just a voice on a record you know.

Taken from a very interesting interview found at:

http://www.furious.com/PERFECT/andrewilliams.html

TheMastermindOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 08, 2008 - 06:28 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Williams released some of his best work on the Chess related labels. Although, in typical myth making style, he claims the Chess brothers were scared to have him.

Quote:
Chess was always interested in me, but they were scared of me; matter of fact, a lot of companies were really scared of me, because I was known to be a very erratic, wild, hellraiser. They wanted to do business with me, but they was leery, 'cuz they didn't know when I might pull out a gun and jump on their desk and moon 'em, or whatever. They say, "Man, I'd like to get some of Andre's stuff, but damn; I don't know if I could put up with this guy." Chess was the same way, but Leonard always liked me; he said, "You a wild m**********r! Boy, If I could ever corral you, I could make you a millionaire, but Andre you so wild!"

Williams has no time for stories about the Chess brothers ripping off their artists. Insisting those artists blew their advances, which Williams thinks they were lucky to get and then wanted more.

'Do The Popcorn' is one of my favourite tracks by Williams. The groove is incendiary and will burn up any dance floor. A nice simple guitar riff, reminiscent of the ultra funk James Brown period, propels things along. In fact Williams throws in some JB quotes ala "Do it to death." In his vocal Williams is egging some girl to dance, obviously the popcorn, and laps up the resulting spectacle, "Oh ya looking good."

The flip, 'It's Gonna Be Fine In '69', is nearly as good too. Williams, in a laconic drawl, ponders on how great 1969 is going to be and all the things he's going to do.
Quote:
And ya know what?
I'm gonna drive me an El Dorado covered in Suede
I'm gonna wear me some suits Petronelli made

The pace of the track contrasts nicely with Williams' casual spoken vocal.

The above interview quote is from:
http://www.ugly-things.com/andre.html

TheMastermindOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 22, 2008 - 07:40 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

The original version of Mustang Sally was released by Sir Mack Rice in 1965, a year before Pickett's version.

Pickett and Rice were in The Falcons together with Rice being an original member.

Pickett heard Rice perform the song at a live gig and said he wanted to cover it. That version became one of soul's more enduring tracks.

This version is slower and blusier, not to mention rawer, than the Pickett version. That said it is one of Andre Williams' cleaner productions. The flip is cleaner still and a nice, but typical, soul production fro the time.

A story circulates that Williams sold his rights to Mustang Sally for $40 to spend on cocaine during his addiction. I'm not sure if this is true, Williams doesn't get a writing credit on the track.

Blue Rock is a label that has a lot of nice soul material on it.

TheMastermindOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 22, 2008 - 07:58 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Time to show off a little more of the Fortune era material. I should probably give props to Pgh Guy who supplied me with most of my Fortune material by Williams.

This release dates to 1956.

Mozelle combines guitar line with groovy latin percussion in a sparse production. Williams pushes his voice to the limits, not necessarily a long way. A sparse R & B track with a hint of rockabilly style which mostly feeds in through the guitar.

I Just Want A Little Lovin'
is a much blusier number reminiscent of a whole bunch of I Just Want To Make Love To You numbers. The instrumentation is similar to Mozelle, but no latin influence. The sort of song that makes you want to fall to your kness to sing the chorus.

Former Member
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 03, 2008 - 08:05 PM

Quote:
AUTHOR'S NOTE: I'm not used to my articles generating controversy. They're mostly cut and dried recollections of events that happened 40 or 50 years ago.

Roundabout way of saying he had his facts wrong, it would appear. Interesting stuff... thanks for all the info and pics.

TheMastermindOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 04, 2008 - 03:23 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I'm not surpirised that the Marv Goldberg article drew an angry response from Williams. The 5 Dollars really hammer him and basically blame him because their careers were unsuccessful.

Glad it's of interest 78s, I will continue to post every so often. I have more items on my list.

smunger805Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 12, 2009 - 04:07 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Great thread Mastermind!! Enjoyed reading the various articles...Andre Williams is a character to say the least!

I have "Baby, I Love You So" Joe Weaver and The Don Juans....didn't know the connection....thanks

CactusCowboyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 16, 2009 - 08:52 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Mastermind,

Thanks for posting all the photos, brief reviews, and snippets of history. I've followed this thread in the past but wanted to comment since it resurfaced in the new Reviews forum.

I'm curious, did Andre Williams ever release an LP or is all his work on 45 rpm?

TheMastermindOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 16, 2009 - 10:26 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

CactusCowboy wrote:
I'm curious, did Andre Williams ever release an LP or is all his work on 45 rpm?

There are plenty of recent compilations out there. The Detroit Grease series is probably the most complete and the best and gathers from a range of labels.

There is an old Fortune compilation with one side Don Juans / 5 Dollars and the other The Diablos. I saw it once and, in one of those acts I'm forever trying to understand, passed it up.

There are also a few more recent LPs that are fairly grungy, and feature backing by groups like The Dirtbombs and Gories. The Black Godfather even features a cover of The Cramps "Can't Find My Mind."

I suspect there are LPs out there that he features on as producer, such as the Ray Scott LP that features 'The Prayer'.

Jump to: