The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
smolanskiOffline
Post subject: miles david-kind of blue  PostPosted: Apr 16, 2012 - 06:10 PM
Level 5
Level 5

hello there,

I got an offer here
the album kind of blue by miles davis,mono,first press (1959) for 90 bucks

what do you think ?is it worh that?

Reply with quote Back to top
weletthegoldfishgoOffline
Post subject: RE: miles david-kind of blue  PostPosted: Apr 16, 2012 - 08:35 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

If it's NM vinyl, that's too low. If it's less than NM, it's probably an offer you could accept.

Condition is very important ALL THE TIME, but to be redundant, it's especially important when a classic like this is involved. What makes this even more important than just being a classic is the fact that it's the mono version.

smolanskiOffline
Post subject: RE: miles david-kind of blue  PostPosted: Apr 17, 2012 - 01:47 PM
Level 5
Level 5

well weletthegoldfishgo
I haven't seen the record yet... I just saw the cover...and it look pretty good I must admit
I will check it out as soon as I can
hope it's at least near mint!

davekoenOffline
Post subject: RE: miles david-kind of blue  PostPosted: Apr 20, 2012 - 01:45 PM
Level 2
Level 2

Make sure you examine it very well. They have repressed this album several times (it is currently in print) and it might not be as original as the seller believes (or hopes you will believe).

smolanskiOffline
Post subject: RE: miles david-kind of blue  PostPosted: Apr 20, 2012 - 04:20 PM
Level 5
Level 5

davekoen wrote:

Make sure you examine it very well. They have repressed this album several times (it is currently in print) and it might not be as original as the seller believes (or hopes you will believe).

how can I know for sure it's the first press and not a reissue?

Rafter242Offline
Post subject: RE: miles david-kind of blue  PostPosted: Apr 20, 2012 - 04:27 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

The original is a 6-eye Columbia label.

Post subject: RE: miles davis-kind of blue  PostPosted: Apr 20, 2012 - 05:17 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Rafter is right, it should be a 6-eye Columbia. But mine is a 6-eye Columbia label and it's the 1995 Classic Records reissue. This particular Classic reissue has the words (Original Speed) above the track listing on the label to show that it's a different than original record, so you'll have to look for other clues than just the 6-eye Columbia design.

This particular issue of the title has a second record featuring Side 1 recorded at the corrected speed. Sony engineers determined that the tape machine used to produce Side One of the original record in 1959 was running about 1 1/4 percent too slow during the recording session. When the tape was played back at 15 inches-per-second for the transfer to production master, the pitch was too fast. Side 2 of the second record features an alternate take of FLAMENCO SKETCHES transferred at 45 RPM to increase playback fidelity. And Record 1 Sides 1 & 2 are the original record as released in 1959.

KindOfBlueClassicRCG.jpg
 Description:
1996 Classic Records Reissue Side 1 Record 1
 Filesize:  54.28 KB
 Viewed:  223 Time(s)

KindOfBlueClassicRCG.jpg

Post subject: RE: miles davis-kind of blue  PostPosted: Apr 21, 2012 - 07:30 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

AS for the MONO original from 1959, it will have the COLUMBIA name across the top. HERE'S ONE ON POPSIKE.

---------------------------------------------------

HERE'S A MISTAKE ON POPSIKE. It looks like the seller had an original MONO and listed it as STEREO. It was a recent sale with plenty of bidders recognizing the mistake and hoping for the best!

AND CHECK OUT THIS ONE ON EBAY. The label appears to be a MONO issue and the seller is calling it STEREO. This seller even states the STEREO catalogue numbers.

THESE TWO ARE THE VERY SAME ITEM! YOU CAN SEE IT IN THE PICTURE! I WONDER WHAT THE STORY IS BEHIND THIS!

Post subject: RE: miles davis-kind of blue  PostPosted: Apr 21, 2012 - 09:51 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I sent the following message to that ebay seller:

Dear hillwax,

HI, This label looks like the MONO version rather than the STEREO version, yet you state that the label says CS 8163. I'm just clarifying this detail since it is very important. I've never seen a STEREO copy with the name COLUMBIA printed at top of the label. And I saw this very same record sell in March...and it was returned to you, or what? THANKS

Here's the reply I just received:

Hi, The wrong picture was used. The correct picture is now shown. Thanks for the heads-up.

So now when the link to ebay above is accessed, the new picture of the STEREO copy will be seen instead of the MONO. Funny thing, the seller didn't address the issue of the record he sold in March. So he most likely sold the MONO as is evidenced in the picture on the Popsike link. I dunno. I went back into the sellers feedback on ebay and didn't find any feedback for the KIND OF BLUE that is in that popsike listing. But it was clearly the same picture. The seller has 100 percent positive feedback, though. SO he's doing something right.

Uh, oh. Wait a minute....that seller has recent neutral feedback for selling a McCoy Tyner that doesn't fit the description. Look like it might have been bought by a foreign bidder since the English is a bit mixed up. So maybe this seller is about to have problems. I see what the buyer is saying, too. The seller states it is Impulse A-39 (stereo) when in fact the stereo version would be catalogue AS-39. The buyer was ignorant for buying and not asking about this detail. HAPPENS ALL THE TIME. HERE'S THAT AUCTION.

Sorry, y'all. I'm having a bit of fun this a.m., but now it's time to quit goofin' and get on to some real work. WOOHOO!

smolanskiOffline
Post subject: RE: miles davis-kind of blue  PostPosted: Apr 22, 2012 - 06:14 AM
Level 5
Level 5

Thank you for the great tips! I'm about to see this vinyl today,using your tips
Will update a pic later!

Jump to: