The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
wand143Offline
Post subject: Interesting Trivia About Yourself  PostPosted: Jun 06, 2008 - 12:30 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

- I was a licensed lawn mower operator for the U.S. Army
- As a busboy, one of my customers was Desi Arnaz, Jr.
- I first got my driver's license at age 32
- I was a paid extra in the movie "Major League"
- I corresponded with - and traded records with - Cub Koda, formerly of Brownsville Station. I even provided him with a copy of one of his own records which he didn't have.
OK, your turn...

Reply with quote Back to top
digvinylOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 06, 2008 - 01:01 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

-I've bowled a 300 game and an 800 series
-I have a speech impairment called Spasmodic Dysphonia
-I got Ted Nugent's autograph at his son's high school basketball game
-In 1 year, I played in 125 softball games
-I'm a Libertarian

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 06, 2008 - 01:09 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

- For much of their youth, I was the sole Custodian for my three children.
- In my late teens and early 20s I made a small fortune trading commodities, which I promptly lost right back again - now I'm broke as sin and hardly ever even buy a lottery ticket.
- In 1981 Jackie Onassis flirted shamelessly with me at Carnegie Hall, where I and my future wife went to see a performance of Beethoven's 4th Symphony.
- While stationed in Germany as an Army corporal, I was responsible for typing up training schedules and accidentally on purpose gave the entire brigade a holiday the day after the very late-night Super Bowl.
- I collect records.

vinyl1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 06, 2008 - 01:10 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

- I spend 4 years in the Yale English PhD program, but never finished my dissertation
- I learned C and C++ in one weekend, because I had to start coding on Monday
- I am a terrible golfer, but love to play anyway
- I am into solving the Times of London crossword puzzle. We blog here: http://community.livejournal.com/times_xwd_times/

SID
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 06, 2008 - 01:13 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Cool thread ! Cool

chewyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 06, 2008 - 02:03 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

While in the U.S.M.C. stationed in Japan,we often did training missions in Japan for a week or so at a time in the jungle.I often didn't wear underwear during these times because we often went through streams and rivers and if you wore underwear,you usually got chaffed.
Anywho,I was a team leader and my team and I were climbing up this steep cliff.Being the leader,if someone was falling behind,I had to help them out,which usually meant carrying some of their gear.On this particular day,while climbing up this cliff,I had my rifle(m203 grenade launcher),backpack,a big honkin radio and 2 rifles from my team members who were struggling.
As I was reaching for this small tree,it ripped out of the ground and I went tumbling/freefalling and bouncing off the cliff for 80 feet to the ground.
My brand new glasses were gone forever but the worst part was that while I was plummeting down the cliff,,all my clothes ripped off.
When I hit the bottom,naked,I was immediately rendered unconscious with a gawd awful concussion.4 guys rapelled down to check on my status.
I woke up about 10 minutes later.The fellow Marines informed me that they couldn't get a helicopter in to fly me out because of the canopy of the Jungle.
They said I had to climb up this cliff that I just fell off,but it would be ok because they would be behind me.
My reply to this,because i was naked,was,ummm that's ok,I would rather fall off this cliff again than have you guys looking up my ass.
The whole time I was climbing back up this cliff,I kept asking,what happened,since the concussion really messed me up.
Once I got to the top,the ambulance was waiting and took me to the Hospital.I passed out in the ambulance and eventually woke up in the hospital.Where to my surprise,they were about to put a catheter in my junk.I said,hold the phone,let me go on my own accord.Which thankfully happened.WHEW!
I have some better stories from this time frame,but iI don't want to kicked off the RCG forum. Very Happy

The games you play
Make people say
You're either weird or lonely

At The Chime Of A City Clock-Nick Drake
http://kurttherecordcollector.blogspot.com/

Former Member
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 06, 2008 - 02:10 PM

this is of course, years ago... and over a span of ahem, nearly 35 years...

whew...

(in no particular order)

1. Worked as an assistant set designer on the flick "The Apostle" (Robert Duval produced this movie. what a guy. so nice.)

2. Staff director for the Clarksville Jazz Festival, first as a grunt, then took the steering wheel.

3. Published a INDY newsprint music / arts magazine that was distributed in three large regional metro's for nearly a decade. One word. Interns. Sorry two words. Spellcheck.

4. Have lobbied and headed up public organizing (against high healtcare costs and nuclear waste disposal methods)

5. Assistant Sound Engineer at a really kewl old vaudvillian staged theatre in baton rouge.

hmm... what else.

Just out of high school I worked on a bee farm, raising queen bees, extracting honey and getting my ass stung. I have been stung on the eyelid by a bee. I highly do not recommend that.

lets see... what else...

i raced windsurfers... (US# 59)
first as an AM,,, then, as a pro, the entire time i resided in florida.
(my icon thingy used to be a pic of me sailing at a regatta, way out
in front.)

(just missed olympic trial spot by "one place" at the hogs breathe saloon regatta...
a kid from florida went to the olympic trials that year (while still amateur) ...i darn near beat that youngster.

Smile

once i turned pro, the most i ever won at a regatta was 3500... the entry fee was 150 and all of that aside it is more fun than snowboarding.

yea, i have done that too. fun as chit!

very happy

when i was in the 8th grade i had a paper route.... used a bicycle.

bought records with the money i made.

:p

scotapellOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 06, 2008 - 02:31 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

The jump-rope record I set in at my grade school in 1978 still stands.
I finished 6th grade when I was 9. Then sat in the library for two years after waiting for Jr. High.
I worked as a bouncer in a bar when I was 16.
I turned down a football scholarship in favor of a theatre scholarship.
I brew my own beer.

T-BoneOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 06, 2008 - 02:35 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I donīt know if this will qualify but I used to work for a small record label here in Sweden. I released a limited 45 with Sven Zetterberg that caused some action on the Northern Soul cirkus a couple of years back, fetĒhing pretty much on ebay at the time. I also leased the song to GoldSoul who released a promo 45 and if you look closely on that one youīll see" With thanks to Conny". Well, thatīs me!

Former Member
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 06, 2008 - 02:36 PM

oh, dude... darn near forgot.

Proud member of the Cajun Navy.

Jump to: