The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mardesiOffline
Post subject: Living Stereo LSC 2147- MONO REPROCESSED OR STEREO?  PostPosted: Jun 30, 2008 - 10:31 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Hello everybody! I'm new on this forum. I'm Mario from Rome, Italy.
First of all, many compliments to the people that spend a lot of their time in this interesting and very well organized site.
Very Happy.
My first question for all comes from a my recent purchase on ebay:
On last may, I've won the following record (Living Stereo) :
LSC 2147 - Festival Quartet Schubert - Trout Quintet (shaded dog)
In the auction, the seller provided the following info:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
RECORD LABEL: RCA Victor (Pressed in USA)

TITLE: Schubert: Piano Quintet in A, Op. 114 ("The Trout")

NUMBER: LSC-2147 RE (Reproduced Electronically), Living Stereo, Shaded Dog, 1s1s i

YEAR: 1962

SPEED: 33 RPM

STEREO/MONO: Stereo
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I wondered while reading the info about the 'electronic reprocessing', because my knowledge of this record is that there was two edition:
LM 2147 (mono)
LSC 2147 (stereo)
because this recording was made on 1957 (and I know that RCA Victor made its first stereo recording on 1954), I was in doubt about this.
Once the record arrived, I've collect the data in the dead wax:
SIDE 1: N2 RY 2870 - 1S (IV) - I
SIDE 2: N2 RY 2871 - 1S (IV) - I

The coding stamped on right top of the rear cover is ' LM/LSC 2147 RE'
On the labels there is the LSC-2147 code on left and right sides at 3 and 9 o'clock

From this data I believe that:
This is a shaded dog, 1S-1S from Indianapolis plant
Printing was made in 1962 (N2)
The catalogue number generically says that the mono edition is the LM 2147 (RE) (in order to reproduce on both right and left channel the mono trace) or LSC-2147 in the case of a stereophonic recording.
Last, but not least, I've transferred the first two minutes on side 1 on my PC by mean af an audio editor software and the two channels seems to me quite different (also in the headphone during the acquisition).

Please, could someone help me about:
1) the coding of this record and the meaning of the 'RE' info on the rear of the cover
2) the original recording session (mono or stereo master)?
3) the value of the record (I know that it is one of the most sought-after in the 'LSC' catalogue)

Many thanks in advance

Best Regards from Rome.
Mario De Simone (mardesi)

Reply with quote Back to top
wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: RE: Living Stereo LSC 2147- MONO REPROCESSED OR STEREO?  PostPosted: Jun 30, 2008 - 01:08 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Welcome to RCG Mario, it is always a pleasure to hear from our friends outside the USA who collect records. This is the only classical record I have in my whole collection, I'll look & see what mine has on the cover.[besides a picture of a trout]

rooster
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 30, 2008 - 01:49 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

mario,

welcome to the RCG. i thought i might be able to help you here, but looking at my copy of this record, alas, i have the 1957 mono, with completely different dead wax data. if you want the data from mine anyway, just ask.

the rooster

mardesiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 01, 2008 - 01:54 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Hello, Wurlitzer1450, hello rooster!

Many thanks for your kind reply.

I've attached a link to the popsike site (very useful for searches about rare vinyl auctions); from this auction you could have an idea of the LSC2147 version (stereophonic ????). The record in the picture is identical to mine. This edition has the composer portrait on front cover; a very little 'RE' writing is present on the down right corner and from there starts my doubts: what means that 'RE' writing?

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildatar.php?itemnr=120151749720

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

From popsike site I've found 5 auctions of this 'Trout' quintet edition: shaded dog and white dog. From there, I've taken a rough idea of the record value, too.
I think a good help to find a rare classical record value is to buy the very well known Canfiel Guide, but...but... I'm very afraid of its price...

mardesiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 01, 2008 - 01:57 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Dear rooster,
please, give me the data related to your record, too.

Thanks and regards.
Mario

rooster
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 01, 2008 - 03:20 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Mario,

here is my LP's info:

RECORD LABEL: RCA Victor (Pressed in USA)

TITLE: Schubert: Piano Quintet in A, Op. 114 ("The Trout")------ on the label.
TITLE: Schubert: Trout Quintet----------- on the cover and spine.

NUMBER: LM-2147, New Orthophonic High Fidelity, Shaded Dog
YEAR: 1957 (or so i believe, but now i'm not so sure)

SPEED: 33 RPM

STEREO/MONO: MONO
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

data in the dead wax:
SIDE 1: H2 RP4783 - 4S
SIDE 2: H2 RP4784 - 8S

The coding stamped on right top of the rear cover is ' LM-2147'
On the labels there is the LM-2147 code on left at 9 o'clock and Side 1(with the legend "red seal" beneath)/Side 2(with the legend "red seal beneath)on the right at 3 o'clock.

my cover has an artist's rendering of a rainbow trout leaping from the water. the artist was arthur singer.

i hope this is helpful to you. i am not much of an expert on classical records. as i have just started (in the last couple of years) to pick up on them.

the rooster

vinyl1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 01, 2008 - 07:03 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I guess I'm the only one who knows the correct answer to this question.

The letters 'RE' on the back of an RCA classical LP means that the text of the liner notes on the back cover was REvised. It has nothing to do with the recording or mastering of the LP inside.

LSC-2147 was recorded in 1957 in both mono and stereo, but was not released as a stereo until 1964. Very few copies have the last shaded dog label that was used for th first half of 1964, which has 'STEREO' rather than 'LIVING STEREO' at the bottom, and the side numbers '1' and '2' in a very large font.

A NM stereo copy with a shaded dog label is worth $200-300. You can pick up a mono copy for $1.

annaloogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 01, 2008 - 07:22 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

vinyl1 wrote:
... LSC-2147 was recorded in 1957 in both mono and stereo, but was not released as a stereo until 1964....
Interesting: the stereo master date code indicates 1962. Apparently RCA weren't in a particular hurry to get this one into the shops.

mardesiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 01, 2008 - 10:32 AM
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks to all, especially to vinyl1 for the 'illuminating' info about the liner notes. I was truly in difficult about the meaning of the 'RE' writing in the record coding, especially after the record listening.

rooster: About the RCA coding method, as I've already seen also in this forum, the following link is very helpful:

http://ronpenndorf.com/labelography4.html

From there, you can take info about your record (please, see the paragraph 'RCA Victor Number-Letter Codes (19501974)' at the end of html page):

If I'm right, from the following
data in the dead wax:
SIDE 1: H2 RP4783 - 4S
SIDE 2: H2 RP4784 - 8S

you should desume:
Side 1 - LETTER H: Year of recording: 1957 / NUMBER 2: recording's source was the RCA Victor Label / LETTER R: Red Seal (classic music) / LETTER P: P indicates a 33 1/3 RPM, fine groove and 12" diameter recording. /NUMBER 4783: matrix for the mono version - first side / sequence 4S: fourth stamper for the side 1
And so on for the second side...

Regards....

rooster
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 01, 2008 - 11:09 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

thanks for the clarification. i've used the ropendorf pages for info on blue notes. it hadn't occured to me do the same for classical records.

the rooster

Jump to: