The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
elvisluvsOffline
Post subject: Need a little help with opera record values  PostPosted: Jul 05, 2008 - 09:17 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Since I don't know much about rap- I figured I could know just as little about opera Confused So right after I posted the "U from jersey" post- I see someone selling some classical records. I call the lady- it sounds interesting- I go to get them. For any folks who have blown through connecticut- I'm going north on the merrit parkway to new haven. A pickup with a ladder rack ahead of me- loses his ladder in front of me Shocked Hit the brakes -I get by ok. Onward-this nice lady meets me at the door. The bad news is there was a pipe burst- some of the records got wet, mold. Most though seem ok. I got them off the truck yesterday. I am 2/3 of the way roughly sorting by label. I could use some input on a couple of issues. I recently read the"what classical records are valuable " thread- along with checking out some of the links. I looked up a few records- half of the ones I couldn't find. Any help on looking for the others? I am also considering paying for the online lookup here-http://www.classicalreference.com Has anyone here used it; your opinions, and is the opera type stuff in there also? The other question is about labels- I am confused when I see more than one brand on a record. The cbs, emi, rca, etc- all seem to have various coupling with offshoot labels. Do I lookup emi or angel or melodia? Vanguard, stereolab or cardinal? I also have ones and twos of about 20 other labels- are there any to look out for? If anyone could add a few of the "$$$" artists/ titles- I would love it. Thanks very much-Mark

Reply with quote Back to top
weletthegoldfishgoOffline
Post subject: RE: Need a little help with opera record values  PostPosted: Jul 05, 2008 - 10:14 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I am having trouble posting. This is a test. Trying to comment on this forum.

Post subject: RE: Need a little help with opera record values  PostPosted: Jul 05, 2008 - 10:22 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Hey there, Mark. Long time no chat. For whatever reason, I cannot post my entire comment all at once. So I'm breaking it down to see what happens.

You've really asked big questions this time. Angel records are reissues of EMI and are most likely not worth much. They are worth listening to, of course, but common. As for opera titles, you really must have some older important titles to get any money for them. And they usually need to be NM as do most classical.

I like to find older opera recitals featuring piano accompanyment with vocal. These are usually better bets. You probably should stay away from opera highlights albums and 70's box set reissues.

Why don't you list some of the titles you had difficulty locating info about here? I rarely ever cannot find an artist, no matter how obscure. Maybe you are keying in too much info. Try a soloist's name and maybe a composer or a soloist and what they are doing, for example Campoli Elgar or Simionato Recital or Flagstad German Songs.

Post subject: RE: Need a little help with opera record values  PostPosted: Jul 05, 2008 - 10:24 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Nicer labels are EMI, His Master's Voice, Columbia SAX, Deutsche Grammophon Gesellschaft (referred to as DGG, and look for the labels that have the blue and white tulips around the outside of the label), and 50's pressings on Decca, London, Westminster, and RCA Living Stereo (records have a label featuring the ''shaded dog''). Even look for Columbia pressings from the late 40's and early 50's.

Post subject: RE: Need a little help with opera record values  PostPosted: Jul 05, 2008 - 10:38 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Sorry for having to break this up like this, but the forum will not accept my longer post.

There's just too much to watch out for in both good and bad categories. But a general rule of thumb is to suss out soloists from the 40s and 50s and orchestra featuring Fritz Reiner Chicago Symphony on RCA Living Stereo. But that's just a small beginning.

Post subject: RE: Need a little help with opera record values  PostPosted: Jul 05, 2008 - 10:41 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I just recently found a small collection of NM titles from the early 50's featuring soloists. I was amazed. Someone had catalogued them using a grease pencil (most of this will wipe off since they did it on the front covers and these are high gloss covers), but there are so many numbers missing from the collection in between the numbers I picked up! I searched every thrift store in the area and couldn't find the others. I went back to the thrift I found them in, too, but they never surfaced. I can't imagine someone buying part of this collection and leaving part behind. These are all valuable titles, especially in this condition, and great recordings. The covers are not discolored, no seams are split, and all sleeve protectors are inside looking like they were just bought new.

O.k. enough of my story. Now list some of those titles you cannot find or send me a pm.

Ciao! Barrie

Post subject: RE: Need a little help with opera record values  PostPosted: Jul 05, 2008 - 10:43 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

For whatever reason, the forum would not accept my post about the classical reference website you mentioned. I have only heard positive comments about that site, though.

Now that I've retyped the comment and shortened it, too, it is posting it. What a weird thing that is happening to me tonight.

Ciao, again!

elvisluvsOffline
Post subject: RE: Need a little help with opera record values  PostPosted: Jul 06, 2008 - 12:11 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hi Barrie- thanks again for helping out. I sorted the pile into "rough" piles of the different labels. I actually think about a 1/3 is classical, not opera. There are a lot of box sets. The labels with more than a few are-angel, cbs, dg (a few dgg), emi, london,mhs, phillips, rca, nonsuch, seraphim. Other labels with maybe 10-20 are decca and mercury. Some of the single digit labels are abbey, basf, counterpoint, crossroads, dover, erato, foyer,heliodor, hungarton, something like loire-linn, mace, monitor, orfeo, supraphon, telefunken, voce. I 'm sure I misspelled and forgot a couple. At this point I'm pretty beat just sorting them. It will probably take me a little time to really get the ufos on here. There were two Starkers that I did put aside already. There was a couple of quite moldy boxes that had a bit of folk and blues- iirc bettie dobson, gordon bok, a group named something like speckled large bird, and a blues guy named john hurt. Thanks again Barrie- Mark

Post subject: RE: Need a little help with opera record values  PostPosted: Jul 06, 2008 - 04:12 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Starker is certainly worth your time. Blues is certainly worth your time to research (check out the Howlin' Wolf, too). Focus on those EMI, Decca, Mercury, London, linn, monitor, and telefunken first.

Post subject: RE: Need a little help with opera record values  PostPosted: Jul 06, 2008 - 04:17 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

What labels are for bettie dobson,gordon bok, and speckled large bird?

Jump to: