The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
weletthegoldfishgoOffline
Post subject: RE: Need a little help with opera record values  PostPosted: Jul 06, 2008 - 04:37 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

gordon bok is folk.

Reply with quote Back to top
elvisluvsOffline
Post subject: RE: Need a little help with opera record values  PostPosted: Jul 06, 2008 - 06:27 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Iirc- a couple of them are on "Folk-Legacy"- I guess another fine Connecticut export Confused One of the blues was on chess, another on rounder. Thanks- I will follow up with lots more questions Badger Maybe even a couple of good ones Rolling Eyes

elvisluvsOffline
Post subject: RE: Need a little help with opera record values  PostPosted: Jul 06, 2008 - 06:37 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hey Barrie- how 'bout sharing a liitle bit of your find here (aka pics and comments). Just because I don't know anything about classical- doesn't mean I will learn anything Razz

elvisluvsOffline
Post subject: RE: Need a little help with opera record values  PostPosted: Jul 06, 2008 - 08:14 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

John hurt was on piedmont and chess, bettie dobson was on rca and prestige-oops.

elvisluvsOffline
Post subject: RE: Need a little help with opera record values  PostPosted: Jul 06, 2008 - 09:22 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Speckled bird is maybe brownsville?

annaloogOffline
Post subject: RE: Need a little help with opera record values  PostPosted: Jul 07, 2008 - 12:28 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

weletthegoldfishgo wrote:
.... Angel records are reissues of EMI ....
I suppose this depends on your definition of "reissue". Angel Records began in the early 1950s as the USA label for EMI's classical, pop and jazz catalog on Columbia, His Master's Voice, Pathé-Marconi, and other EMI labels, before focusing primarily on classical issues. Many early classical red label originals are British EMI pressings, made from the same masters as Columbia and HMV issues. Later reissues were pressed in the USA, mainly at RCA-Indianapolis, before EMI acquired Capitol Records. Later, Capitol-mfd. titles were drawn from both EMI's European catalog and original recordings, after Capitol's own classical operation was folded into Angel.

elvisluvs wrote:
... iirc bettie dobson, gordon bok, a group named something like speckled large bird, and a blues guy named john hurt.
Would these be Bonnie Dobson, Great Speckled Bird and Mississippi John Hurt?

elvisluvsOffline
Post subject: RE: Need a little help with opera record values  PostPosted: Jul 07, 2008 - 07:22 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Thank you Annaloog- yes they would be Embarassed You are too good!

elvisluvsOffline
Post subject: RE: Need a little help with opera record values  PostPosted: Jul 07, 2008 - 02:28 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

My first hurdle- Decca 591360 "enregistmente public concert du nouvel an a vienne jan 1 1979 orch. Phil.of vienna Willi Boskovsky" - keep tryin' or plan the vacation? Rolling Eyes Tnx-m

elvisluvsOffline
Post subject: RE: Need a little help with opera record values  PostPosted: Jul 07, 2008 - 02:43 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

And Renato Bruson "donizetti: gemma di vergy..Faliero...Devereux...et al" on Decca/ Grandi Voci GRV-9

weletthegoldfishgoOffline
Post subject: RE: Need a little help with opera record values  PostPosted: Jul 08, 2008 - 10:04 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I cannot do photos right now since I don't have camera connectors for the computer. I am on the road until late July.

The best I've found, and it was all in the same store, is as follows:

1.Erica Morini on RCA Camden CAL-207, An Erica Morini Recital, with Artur Balsam (who was one of my brother's teachers/mentors)
2.Erica Morini on Wstminster HI-Fi SWN 18087, Vol. 1 (sure wish I could have found the others)
3.Campoli with London Philharmonic Orch. w/Adrian Boult on London LL1168, Elgar Concerto Op.61
4.Spohr Violin Concertos No. 8 featuring Kurt Stiehler and No. 7 featuring Rudolf Schulz on Urania Records URLP 7049
5.Beethoven trio Op. 97 ''Archduke'' featuring Jean Fournier, Antonio Janigro, and Badura-Skoda on Westminster WL 5131
6.David Oistrakh Mendelssohn and Mozart Concerti with Phiidelphia Orchestra on Columbia ML 5058
7.David Oistrakh on Colosseum CRLP 10200, with Milos Sadlo, cello, Brahms Double Concerto, and Beethoven Triple Concerto Op. 56 with Oistrakh, Lev Oborin, and Sviatoslav Knushevitsky (WOW!)
8.David Oistrakh on Colosseum CRLP 246, Bach Sonata for two violins and piano featuring his son, Igor, and Vladimir Yampolsky, and Mozart Concerto No. 4
9.David Oistrakh on Colosseum CRLP 137, Dvorak and Glazounoff Concerti
10.David Oistrakh on Vanguard VRS 6005, Glazounov (spelled differently on each record and are 2 different performances) and Daniel Shafran, cello, playing Kabalevsky Concerto with Kabalevsky conducting
11.Julius Katchen on London LL 1233, Beethoven Sonatas No. 23 Op. 57 and No. 32 Op 111 (I can't believe this one, it has a rather jazzy passage in this opus, a really nice sonata to find on record)
12.Ruggiero Ricci on London CS 6163, Paganini Caprices
13.Pierre Fournier on London LL 687, Vivaldi, Couperin, and Boccherini

I'll try and post the rest of what I found in the same store in the morning. These are all NM. And I mean spotless vinyl. What a treat. The covers have just a small grease pencil number in one corner that I think I can get off without damage.

Jump to: