The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
elvisluvsOffline
Post subject: Classicalreference.com  PostPosted: Jul 15, 2008 - 08:27 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

As I had mentioned in my "opera" records thread- I picked up a good chunk of classical/ opera records. The usual look up methods were s-l-o-w. I saw mention of the classical reference book- which seemed quite pricey. I followed that to a site by the author of it- classicalreference.com . It is a subscription fee based database. I signed up for the three week deal. Basically- it is a searchable database. You can search by label, prefix, #, keyword(s) etc. The pricing shown for a record is for (99% of the entries) mint condition. When you pull up a particular record- it will show what it sold for and when. Where it can be improved- it seems like they mostly have the sales history from the (associated) seller's database. Although you see some historical sales in the last few years- it seems like they haven't updated them too much. When you do pull up a listing- it is just the basics of the particular record. Where the site shines
amazingly is the volume of records in it! It has the previously mentioned Albert Markov record Shocked Although in my clump I have some records not in the database- it is remarkable how much I am finding. -m

Reply with quote Back to top
vinyl1Offline
Post subject: RE: Classicalreference.com  PostPosted: Jul 15, 2008 - 09:09 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

If it is not up to date, that is a serious flaw. Prices on many items have gone up or down a lot in the last five years.

This is Dave Canfield, right? The bulk of his sales were during the 90s, and he sold at a fixed price. If a record was worth $400, and he offered it for $40 on his list and it sold, then the price in the database will be $40.

While this will give you some sort of idea what is valuable, it is far from the whole story.

elvisluvsOffline
Post subject: RE: Classicalreference.com  PostPosted: Jul 15, 2008 - 10:08 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hi Vinyl1- yes it is Dave Canfield. I agree that it is not the whole story. But if you are clueless (me)- it is a very good starting point. Can you give some pointers as to getting the whole story? I'm familiar with ebay, popsike discogs- to a lesser extent musicstack and gemm. I have brushed by a couple of very long for sale lists- a fellow named Louis and a place in the UK. In terms of $40 vs $400-I have some ones and twos from a couple of seemingly obscure labels- would you mind sharing a few to keep an eye out for? Thanks very much-m

vinyl1Offline
Post subject: RE: Classicalreference.com  PostPosted: Jul 16, 2008 - 07:36 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Unfortunately, this is something you can't learn overnight. The best dealers know a lot about classical music, labels, and performers because they are interested themselves. They get a feel for the type of things the market might be interested in, and when they're flipping through huge collections they pull these LPs out and put them aside. Not every guess is a right one, and everyone makes mistakes - and of course, the market is highly erratic.

I once was brought in as a visiting expert for a collection of 3000 LPs, and I thought the I had really found something when I pulled out the London mono of Telemanyi performing the Back Violin Sonatas with the long Vega bow. But when we put it up on eBay, we only got $135, even thought there had been a previous sale in the $700, and the next one got $425. So you just never know.

elvisluvsOffline
Post subject: RE: Classicalreference.com  PostPosted: Jul 17, 2008 - 02:00 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hi Vinyl1- that explains a lot. Thanks for your insight-Mark

Jump to: