The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
elvisluvsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 17, 2008 - 07:41 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Thanks very much-HSB. I admit my knowledge level here can fill a bottlecap. My hunch though is all the labels you have shown are legit. Although I can't find it readily- I'm pretty sure I have a Carnegie Hall typed like that also. Good luck with a nice find!

Reply with quote Back to top
R.TotaleOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 17, 2008 - 12:16 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

One man's "private recording" is another man's bootleg. A few pages readable online about early classical and opera bootlegging from Clinton Haylin's great book Bootleg (which I'd recommend to any record collector - go dig one up, you'll be glad you did) start here

http://snipurl.com/3h5ey [books_google_com]

elvisluvsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 17, 2008 - 04:07 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Thanks RT- that helps me a lot-m

vinyl1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 17, 2008 - 08:16 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

"Carnegie Hall Recording Society", eh?

When they rebuilt Carnegie Hall, they found about ten or fifteen unauthorized microphones in various places around the stage.

Evidently, this was a society with quite a few members!

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 17, 2008 - 08:21 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

R.Totale wrote:
... Clinton Haylin's great book Bootleg

That might be a great book, but for some reason on that page you posted he's apparently referrring to the creator of the Golden Age of Opera label as "Steven E. Jones" instead of Edward J. Smith (the "EJS" on the label should've given him pause about that).

R.TotaleOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 18, 2008 - 08:31 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

hrtshpdbox wrote:
R.Totale wrote:
... Clinton Haylin's great book Bootleg

That might be a great book, but for some reason on that page you posted he's apparently referrring to the creator of the Golden Age of Opera label as "Steven E. Jones" instead of Edward J. Smith (the "EJS" on the label should've given him pause about that).

And he worked on the book for a few years, doing original research and extensive interviews on a subject area no one had ever written about before, whereas you Googled up a name on a subject you were totally unfamiliar with before yesterday. It's just possible he's right and your source is wrong, you know Idea

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 18, 2008 - 08:49 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

R.Totale wrote:
It's just possible he's right and your source is wrong, you know

Yeah, and I might've thought of that if it wasn't him that is so obviously wrong.

EJS: Discography of the Edward J. Smith Recordings: "The Golden Age of Opera," 1956-1971 (Discographies) (Hardcover)

More EJS: Discography of the Edward J. Smith Recordings: "Unique Opera Records Corporation" (1972-1977), "A.N.N.A. Record Company" (1978-1982), "Special ... Golden Age of Opera" Series (Discographies) (Hardcover)

EJS: Discography of the Edward J. Smith Recordings: The Golden Age of Opera, 1956-1971

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 18, 2008 - 09:25 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

R.Totale wrote:
..you Googled up a name on a subject you were totally unfamiliar with before yesterday.

The power of Google compels you!

Google of Edward-J.-Smith Golden-Age-Of-Opera - 1,810 results

Google of Steven-E.-Jones Golden-Age-Of-Opera - 1 result (and, wow, it's from Clinton Heylin's book!).

I'm guessing he didn't conduct any "extensive interviews" on tihs particular aspect of bootlegging, though I agree with you that his research must've been quite "original". Looks like people have taken exception to many of the claims in Heylin's book about Dylan (yes, I used Google to discover that!); this esoteric gaffe about opera may just never have been noticed before.

Jump to: