The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
NickBeefOffline
12 Post subject: what is "popcorn" as a soul descriptor?  PostPosted: Aug 19, 2008 - 02:56 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

I've seen "popcorn" as a descriptive term for certain types of soul music both on compilations and in Ebay postings. I would guess this means something light, goofy, and maybe a bit novelty... something akin to the soul version of "bubblegum."

But then again some of these "popcorn" records go for a lot on ebay??

I know there was a dance, popularized by James Brown, but this doesn't seem to be the same thing... so what does it mean???

Reply with quote Back to top
LoneStarStompOffline
Post subject: RE: what is "popcorn" as a soul descriptor?  PostPosted: Aug 19, 2008 - 06:59 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

http://www.popcornoldies.com/popcorn/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=123

mojo525Offline
Post subject: RE: what is "popcorn" as a soul descriptor?  PostPosted: Aug 19, 2008 - 07:06 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I've wondered the same thing. I'm afraid, like Northern Soul, it's one of those things that's hard to define, but you know it when you hear it.
Here are a couple of possible explanations (though I think this is a topic for Newer!):

"The sound of Latin teenagers in and around New York during the mid- to late-'60s, Boogaloo was an Anglicized form of Latin music incorporating R&B, mambo, and rock & roll, among other forms. Often known as popcorn music or shing-a-ling, the style is also quite similar to Latin soul. In 1963, two Top 20 breakout hits -- "Watermelon Man" by Mongo Santamaria and "El Watusi" by Ray Barretto -- helped birth the boogaloo. ..."

Another:
"The Belgian "popcorn" style began in 1968 in Oostende (where Marvin Gaye lived). There is a nightclub that was called 'The Groove". The first notes of music came from this nightclub wich was called at that time "Soul Music".I never heard such beautiful music. I'm still crazy about that type of music, "The Oldies Popcorn" as we call this music in Belgium."

And this:
"James Brown started doing a little dance to "Bringing Up The Guitar" on stage, and it caught on. He called the dance the Popcorn, and in late August, 1968, the band re-recorded the instrumental as "The Popcorn" (credited to James Brown Plays & Directs). In fact, he wasn't playing, though he can be heard yelping a little;

So it started off as a dance, then was pushed as a concept/theme/meme and others who were doing the same style of music picked up on it."

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 19, 2008 - 07:26 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Yeah, I think it's a toughie, in terms of definition (and that there's at least some differences between "popcorn" and "Belgian popcorn"). Any soul board on the net will have a list of "popcorn" 45s that are currently being sold, but I have no idea what the common element is.

newer99Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 19, 2008 - 08:50 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Popcorn = not soul!!

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 19, 2008 - 09:18 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

newer99 wrote:
Popcorn = not soul!!

Now that's an economical definition! Very Happy
So you're saying it's R&B?

newer99Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 19, 2008 - 10:07 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

To be honest hrtshpdbox I am not too up to date on this genre. I also find the R&B thing a bit of a struggle as well.

I recently sold a King Coleman 45 for $100 that to me was just throw away R&B but apparently it is in demand in the UK? I also have a vg- copy of Baby Jean on ebay at the moment, it is upto $20 with lots of people watching it, again, to my ears it is not Soul and not Northern.

NickBeefOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 19, 2008 - 12:57 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

....so it's, um, like 60's New York Latin soul??

or is there no consensus.

------------
the shing-a-ling, is name dropped in the Marsha Gee song, "Peanut Duck" ("the shing-a-ling 'aint the thing/ Ugh! Penut Duck!") I love dance songs. Got quite a few good "duck" related sides.

troggyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 19, 2008 - 02:48 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

newer99 wrote:
I recently sold a King Coleman 45 for $100 that to me was just throw away R&B but apparently it is in demand in the UK?

Which single was it?

wurlitzer1450Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: what is "popcorn" as a soul descriptor?  PostPosted: Aug 19, 2008 - 03:14 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

I listened to some of this popcorn music & found it quite enjoyable, thanks for this link LoneStar------------LoneStarStomp wrote:
http://www.popcornoldies.com/popcorn/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=123

Jump to: