The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
suttondsusOffline
Post subject: Barcodes on LP Jackets  PostPosted: Sep 02, 2008 - 01:08 PM
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,
Can someone please explain to me the significance of barcoding on a LP jacket. I seen the question asked frequently on eBay. Is this a good thing or a bad thing

Reply with quote Back to top
kat1370Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 02, 2008 - 01:15 PM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Many times this indicates that a record was purchased through a record club...such as Columbia House, for example. There should be some wording there such as "Mfg by Columbia House under license..." or something to that effect. I can't find one from my collection right now.

Occasionally these have a higher value than originals but it's my understanding that normally that's not the case. A search of this site will have more info.

kat

ChadFromCanadaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 02, 2008 - 07:48 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

It would also indicate if a record is an original from the 60s or 70s, or a later reissue from the 80s which was released with the new barcode technology, instead of a price code.

MCTOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 03, 2008 - 09:02 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

kat1370 wrote:
Many times this indicates that a record was purchased through a record club...such as Columbia House, for example. There should be some wording there such as "Mfg by Columbia House under license..." or something to that effect. I can't find one from my collection right now.
IINM, the issue with record club pressings and bar codes is that record club pressings sold after bar codes came into use sometimes lack bar codes, instead having a blank white space where the bar code should be. The bar code itself was apparently omitted since these copies were not intended for sale at retail outlets and there was thus no reason to ever scan the bar code.

ChadfromCanada wrote:
It would also indicate if a record is an original from the 60s or 70s, or a later reissue from the 80s which was released with the new barcode technology, instead of a price code.
I think this is what the original poster was getting at. In the U.S., bar codes first began to appear on LPs around 1980. So if you have a copy of a title that was released well before that, and your copy has a bar code, it is probably a reissue made after 1980. Since reissues are typically worth less than original pressings, a copy with a barcode is often worth less than a copy without one.

Note that the reverse is not necessarily true. Not every record label started using bar codes at the same time, or was consistent about adding them to older releases. Unless you can find some documentation establishing when a bar code was added to a particular release, you shouldn't assume that because a record lacks a bar code it must have been made before 1980. Some older releases never had bar codes added to them as long as they stayed in print on vinyl. For example, I have some Led Zeppelin reissues that I bought new at stores in the late '80s and none of them have bar codes. But you can probably assume that 1) a record with a bar code was made some time after about 1980 and 2) if you have two copies of a record, one with a bar code and one without, the one with the bar code is a later pressing.

taephonoOffline
Post subject: Couple questions..re: dating records  PostPosted: Sep 12, 2010 - 11:55 PM
Level 4
Level 4

Going thru some more records here, and I have a couple questions...
What year did barcodes first start appearing on record jackets ?
What year did WB (Warner Bros.) start putting out records in the opague plastic inner sleeves with the WB logo ?

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 13, 2010 - 07:12 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Quote:

Couple questions..re: dating records

Overall, I think that dating people instead of records will be much more emotionally rewarding.

To take a stab at one of your questions, though, while I don't know when the first barcode appeared on a record, I do know that Nielsen and SoundScan started tracking record sales via barcodes in 1991; it makes sense that by that date pretty much every LP had a barcode. I also know that the Lemonheads 1989 LP "Lick" does not have a barcode. So, maybe somewhere in there lies the answer.

fromphilly1247Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 13, 2010 - 09:43 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

The latter part of 1980 is when barcodes became standard on lp covers in the US. WB started using those clear plastic sleeves around the same time. If I remember correctly, the first album I purchased with one of those was Heaven and Hell by Black Sabbath, which I purchased in the summer of 80.

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/markoneill1968

SID
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 13, 2010 - 09:48 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

hrtshpdbox wrote:
Quote:

Couple questions..re: dating records

Overall, I think that dating people instead of records will be much more emotionally rewarding.

Sometimes ! Rolling Eyes

hrtshpdbox
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 13, 2010 - 10:19 AM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

fromphilly1247 wrote:
The latter part of 1980 is when barcodes became standard on lp covers in the US.

'80 is when they first started appearing (maybe just on WB albums):
Quote:
Warner Bros. is indeed an interesting case in that the label was placing barcodes on new LP releases at least as far back as 1980 (in advance of other labels)...

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/archive/index.php/t-159611.html

There's plenty of mid-80s and later LPs without bar codes, though (1989's first press of Nirvana's "Bleach" didn't have one).

taephonoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 13, 2010 - 10:29 AM
Level 4
Level 4

fromphilly1247 wrote:
The latter part of 1980 is when barcodes became standard on lp covers in the US. WB started using those clear plastic sleeves around the same time. If I remember correctly, the first album I purchased with one of those was Heaven and Hell by Black Sabbath, which I purchased in the summer of 80.

Ok...
1978-1980 time frame seems to be about right....Thanks

Jump to: