The Record Collectors Guild Forum Index

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
annaloogOffline
Post subject: RE: BAR CODES ?  PostPosted: Sep 28, 2010 - 07:14 AM
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Moderator's note: HamYardie's thread merged with "Barcodes" sticky.

Reply with quote Back to top
NickkittyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 12, 2011 - 11:30 AM
Level 2
Level 2

what do all the codes that are on the record mean I have a West Side story album that has the numbers SBPG 62058 under the CBS logo what do they mean why cant I find any others with that number

weletthegoldfishgoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 12, 2011 - 03:45 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Welcome to RCG, Nickkitty.

You are referring to the record catalogue number that was assigned by the record company in 1961 when this record was issued. It appears that you have a United Kingdom stereo issue original soundtrack record of West Side Story on CBS label records. You won't find any other records with that number since they are uniquely assigned to one title. In fact, if a record company reissues a particular title at a later date, they may change the catalogue numbers by adding a digit in the beginning or at the end of the original numbers, or change the letters a little. Not all companies did that, however. Sometimes the letters and numbers changed completely for a reissue, or if the record company sold its business to another record company, or merged with another one.

The numbers are usually different depending on the country issuing the record, too. We collectors use these numbers to identify a particular release and are very important info.

NickkittyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 13, 2011 - 02:09 AM
Level 2
Level 2

where can I find what these number stand for so I can know more about my collection and were can I find values for them??

Rafter242Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 13, 2011 - 02:38 AM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Nickkitty wrote:
where can I find what these number stand for so I can know more about my collection and were can I find values for them??

eBay is always a good place to start. See what auctions are listed for your particular artists/titles and make sure to check the completed auctions for what the items actually sold for, not just what people were asking for them.

NickkittyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 15, 2011 - 01:40 PM
Level 2
Level 2

some of the ones that I have I can not find on ebay and some that I find dont have the same numbers how do i value those I dont want to take them to a record store and have some one try to steal them from me if they have some value

Global_Dog_ProductionsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 15, 2011 - 08:52 PM
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

weletthegoldfishgo wrote:
Welcome to RCG, Nickkitty.

You are referring to the record catalogue number that was assigned by the record company in 1961 when this record was issued. It appears that you have a United Kingdom stereo issue original soundtrack record of West Side Story on CBS label records. You won't find any other records with that number since they are uniquely assigned to one title. In fact, if a record company reissues a particular title at a later date, they may change the catalogue numbers by adding a digit in the beginning or at the end of the original numbers, or change the letters a little. Not all companies did that, however. Sometimes the letters and numbers changed completely for a reissue, or if the record company sold its business to another record company, or merged with another one.

The numbers are usually different depending on the country issuing the record, too. We collectors use these numbers to identify a particular release and are very important info.

In the US CBS used prefixes but kept the record number the same. For example...

Columbia KC-31903 - Bruce Springsteen - "Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J." - 1973
Columbia PC-31903 - Bruce Springsteen - "Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J." (without barcode) - 1975
Columbia JC-31903 - Bruce Springsteen - "Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J." (reissue) - 1977
Columbia PC-31903 - Bruce Springsteen - "Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J." (with barcode) - 1979

NickkittyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 16, 2011 - 01:02 PM
Level 2
Level 2

I understand that every title has a different number but I have some records that I cant find any where like the Gene Krupa Trio on the the Karasuell record label I have several like that how do I fing those and how do I value them??

weletthegoldfishgoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 16, 2011 - 02:17 PM
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

That Karussell label is probably the Germany issue budget label. You've got to look at country of issue for everything, too. But still, that Karussell record has a catalogue number. And you are most likely going to find out through researching ebay completed auction listings for how much a record is selling. Don't research ebay to see what others are asking for the same record. Completed sales will tell you what you can reasonably expect your records are worth.

Sometimes the budget label reissues, like from Karussell, won't even be offered for sale. I have picked up Karussell reissues for $3 and $5, but those prices were for reissues of titles where the original issues cost a lot. One in particular was Taste - ON THE BOARDS. Since there are plenty of original UK Polydor and original USA Atco label releases to purchase, the budget label doesn't really stand much of a chance being worth much. I bought it for $3 in NM condition. Finally got lucky and picked up a NM UK Polydor issue for less than $20. But until that time the Germany issue Karussell label record was just fine. ON THE BOARDS is a highly sought after item, too.

Again, research your records on ebay. You can see in the left column once you scroll down a bit that there is a box to select for Completed Auctions. Once you select that, the screen should change to show you recent sales.

When you do search ebay, just enter Krupa and then a few words of the title. Don't enter Karussell at first. Just see what you get with fewer words in the search. Don't even enter his first name or the word trio or all the words of the title.

Just keep trying. And if you have a question about value of an item like the Gene Krupa on Karussell, post it in the appropriate forum here at RCG. The forum for Values is under Newcomers FAQ.

recordratOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 11, 2011 - 11:21 AM
Level 3
Level 3

I know A&M Records first started putting bar codes on album jackets in 1979. Some early examples include Cornerstone by Styx, Remote Control by The Tubes and Breakfast in America by Supertramp. They also started putting barcodes on cassette and 8-track copies. I know in 1980, most WB LPs had a regular white barcode, then they shrunk and blended in with the artwork the following year.

Jump to: